Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Confirmed vs. Waitlist - staff travel related enquiry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Apologies for posting this here, I understand that the only people who may be able to answer this would be someone who works for BA and knows how staff travel works in depth.

I am looking at a particular flight and I can see J availability 20. At the same time I can see 18 people with 20/J20 and “confirmed” status.

Does this mean that there are still 20 seats left in Club for this flight after taking into account people with “confirmed” status? Or would this mean that there are only 2 seats left actually?

Unfortunately even my CSM friend is not sure on this, hence I wonder if anyone would know here.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
They are just confirmed for the flight, not cabin.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Correct, they are only confirmed in Y just now, so if nothing changes, they should get 18 of the J seats, leaving 2 available x
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:38 pm

And with your on-load priority and date of joining you'll be able to get an idea where abouts on the list of standbys you'll be in the event there are still seats left on the day of travel.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Unless it’s for tomorrow they are only confirmed in WT.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help.
Do they only get confirmed in the higher cabin at check in?
I wonder when do the number update taking them into account in Club (if available)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It depends, if there are plenty of seats available they will be confirmed before check in opens at STD -24 hours, if the flight is full it can happen right up until to boarding.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Apologies for posting this here, I understand that the only people who may be able to answer this would be someone who works for BA and knows how staff travel works in depth.

I am looking at a particular flight and I can see J availability 20. At the same time I can see 18 people with 20/J20 and “confirmed” status.

Does this mean that there are still 20 seats left in Club for this flight after taking into account people with “confirmed” status? Or would this mean that there are only 2 seats left actually?

Unfortunately even my CSM friend is not sure on this, hence I wonder if anyone would know here.
Remember that the available seats are the seat available for sale including the overbooking profile, Not the number of empty seats.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It depends, if there are plenty of seats available they will be confirmed before check in opens at STD -24 hours, if the flight is full it can happen right up until to boarding.
Exactly what has happened me on my last few staff travel flights.

OP, sign up for BAEC and register the flight in your profile, it's really useful for seeing your seat change if checked in in economy or WTP. (Sometimes if confirmed, BA will check you in in economy to get you airside and change seats after the flight has closed)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by capin
Exactly what has happened me on my last few staff travel flights.

OP, sign up for BAEC and register the flight in your profile, it's really useful for seeing your seat change if checked in in economy or WTP. (Sometimes if confirmed, BA will check you in in economy to get you airside and change seats after the flight has closed)
Thank you but I am on actually premium standby so it will be a gamble...
I believe Prem standby never gets confirmed before check in / boarding.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I believe Prem standby never gets confirmed before check in / boarding.
It will never show as confirmed before check in (on the Premium Standby tickets - which are different to the Free Firm tickets (J20/J21 and the like which you reference above) but if the loads are light Flight Management can and will put you in the entitled cabin before check in opens so when you use the self service check in machines you can change your seat etc.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A P Yu
It will never show as confirmed before check in (on the Premium Standby tickets - which are different to the Free Firm tickets (J20/J21 and the like which you reference above) but if the loads are light Flight Management can and will put you in the entitled cabin before check in opens so when you use the self service check in machines you can change your seat etc.
Thank you. This I didn’t know.
The load will not be light. I am looking at Miami flights mid March and for each flight there are 15-20 people on “Free” Firm tickets “waiting” before me.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I got to Miami once on a Prem standby. But there were about 40 listed above me coming home so I caught a jetblue to JFK and got Club standby from there. ATL is often a good back up for MIA too.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold

Thank you. This I didn’t know.
The load will not be light. I am looking at Miami flights mid March and for each flight there are 15-20 people on “Free” Firm tickets “waiting” before me.
That is too far out to be worrying about. Staff can put themselves down for multiple flights, but only have to confirm/pay a day before, so numbers that far out are meaningless. And because of that flexibility, the picture is constantly changing, even hours before the flight when staff are moving flights +/- a day, or the earlier/later flight, let alone IRROP's (and that might not be directly BA, could be another airline and they are re-booked onto your flight) and the paying passengers who are the priority come in to play.
And because of all that, flying on Staff Travel bring a new level of stress, and as A P Yo alluded to, if it is a busy route, or if things go wrong, you need backup plans. Whilst your standby flight will be cheap, having to pay for unplanned extra days hotel in somewhere like HK as the flights are full and 30 staff are all trying to get back at the same time, can get expensive fast.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:46 am

The numbers aren't meaningless, but yes there is a high degree of change to be expected. If theres 20 showing available and already 18 listed above me. I wouldn't be relying on that flight.
If people have used their free firm ticket, then they have probably made other plans based on getting on that flight so I wouldnt normally expect too many changes to those numbers. For a MIA flight in March id expect a few more standby bookings next week when MF get their rosters and a few choose to take companions with them
Then there'll be lots more changes in the week before travel.
For busy flights, later changes can actually work in the favour of a single person on standby. Colleagues planning to take their entire family often bottle it and drop out.
Ive gone to bed the night before a flight showing 6 spare seats and then woke up to find it overbooked by 1 - but I still got on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.