Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Business Class Seating Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:17 am
Original Poster

BA Business Class Seating Question

We booked this ticket through American Airlines but all flights are operated by BA.
They are booked in the (I) and (J) class but BA is wanting $134 dollars each to select seats in business class.

Is this standard? We've never flown on a BA Codeshare flight.

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes, this is normal. It normally leads to a heated debate whenever it's mentioned (about once a month)
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dthorne1918
Is this standard?
Yes, this is standard BA policy. See BA Seating Policy Guide

If you are a higher-tier member of a oneworld frequent flyer scheme, then you may be entitled to free seat pre-allocation.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yep, BA charge for seat selection in Club World (long-haul business)

Not all Club World seats can be considered equal - the windows are very private, the aisles less so; the 'double bed' middle seats can be great as a couple but would be horrible as a solo traveller; a few window seat are especially coveted because they don't involve stepping over someone else's legs to reach the aisle; if you are on a 747, the Upper Deck seats are the best in the fleet and command an even heavier premium to pre-select (but are normally taken by status card holders for free...)

It's complicated, basically! If you have the energy for it, you will find lots of people here happy to offer advice and help you decide whether it's even worth paying for
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
To be clear you will be able to select seats for free at check-in, or a week before if you're Oneworld Ruby. There's a small risk of you getting separated so if that would ruin your trip its worth keeping an eye on the seat map and paying if the cabin is getting full.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dthorne1918
... but all flights are operated by BA.
They are booked in the (I) and (J) class ...
On re-reading this post, I noticed these words, which suggest the possibility that in addition to a long-haul sector that's booked in I class, there is an onward short-haul connection that's in J class.

If so, it might be worth pointing out explicitly that for the flights booked in J class, that entails free pre-allocation from the time of booking. If this applies, then you can at least pick your seats on the short-haul sectors now even if you don't want to pay to pick your seats on the long-haul sectors.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
May I recommend one thing: switch you business class booking to AA operated flights @:-)

BA CW seats are a disaster when compared to AA Business class seats flying across the pond.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
May I recommend one thing: switch you business class booking to AA operated flights @:-)

BA CW seats are a disaster when compared to AA Business class seats flying across the pond.
Sound advice in general. Might be a bit later for OP to switch.

Agree (my bold).
T8191 and NA-Flyer like this.

Last edited by allset2travel; Feb 18, 2019 at 11:45 am Reason: edit sp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.