Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
Exactly. Once one stops thinking of BA First as a first class product and instead think of it as Club World Plus (in the same sense that WT+ relates to WT), then it all becomes much more coherent.
In which case I guess we just need to get the same message across to Alex and his management team.

Once they accept that the current F on BA is significantly below that offered by other carriers, an initial step should be to remove the over-excited hype & meaningless marketing waffle about First which appears on ba.com

PS - perhaps ‘First-lite’ could work as an alternative term ....

HMPS and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you

I might have got this wrong but I’m pretty sure that is what I read, I have looked at random menus for March and they don’t show what I would be expecting to see with the new menus.
Are you able to say what you would be expecting with the new menus?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Ok I have done some checking, china, cutlery and glasses will be changing at the end of March, not sure about the catering but guessing the 1st April.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:23 am
Suspended

Ok I have done some checking, china, cutlery and glasses will be changing at the end of March, not sure about the catering but guessing the 1st April.
Arse and Elbow come to mind...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by AUHDXB
Arse and Elbow come to mind...
In what way?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

In what way?

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Perhaps it’s the date you have misremembered? Wasn’t this pencilled in for 1st May?

I might have got this wrong but I’m pretty sure that is what I read, I have looked at random menus for March and they don’t show what I would be expecting to see with the new menus.

I think together, logistically it makes sense will the aircraft in the hanger to do both.
And on the subject of First, the 1st March will see the introduction of new China, cutlery, glasses and menus.

April?
May?
March?

I rest my case.

At least it goes with the title/theme of the thread.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC
When is your next F flight?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by AUHDXB
April?
May?
March?

I rest my case.

At least it goes with the title/theme of the thread.
That is grossly unfair. CIHY has provided information in good faith, based on his recollection of product upgrades announced internally. There has been no formal public announcement of when changes to the First proposition will be introduced.
SK, Andriyko, flygirl68 and 10 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
A quick Google search produces a link to this recent article:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/fo...first-changes/

In First:
– Cabins on the 777s will be reduced to 8 seats, and all new deliveries will have no more than 8 seats in F to maintain a more intimate feel.
– New bedding, crockery and catering will launch in May, with an emphasis on small, ‘grassroots’ luxury British brands. I can’t remember what the brands were, unfortunately and I hadn’t heard of any of them. A big change will be the introduction of full size glassware, and more premium ingredients from local butchers, etc. I asked about the introduction of a caviar service such as Lufthansa, Emirates, Air France offer, apparently this has been considered, but isn’t coming as BA didn’t want to fit in with the crowd (read into that what you will!), but instead caviar will be worked into the canapés and appetisers in some way.
– The new First service has already been trialled on the San Jose route, whether the new service will roll out fully in May or only on selected routes, I alas don’t know.
– The ground product at Heathrow is also being looked at, with BA actually ‘benchmarking’ against Lufthansa and Air France, so hopefully there will be some positive improvements here.

Doc Copper
Tobias-UK and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
– The new First service has already been trialled on the San Jose route, whether the new service will roll out fully in May or only on selected routes, I alas don’t know.
As in SJC? The route they keep cancelling! lol
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Ah, bummer... my only scheduled F flight for 2019 is early March. Thanks anyway
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by icegirl
You have all just re highlighted my point about staff and that is again and that is premium service sector employees in the UK is a dying breed and now don’t usually tend to be British these days. If you go into 5 star hotel, or high end Michelin restaurant or premium branded stores most if not all will have a higher ratio of non British nationals most of the time and in some cases none at all. So what now, replace crew Asian and Eastern European staff?

High calibre British service staff are hard to come by and most of all cost money and lots of it. Now how many of you would pay EXTRA and if so how much MORE to get it?
Your point of need for better staff, training,supervision, motivation etc has been brought up in manya such threads. Matter of fact yours truly faces heavy pushbacks when I used to highlight that CUSTOMERS are everything because some did not like being reminded of such glaring gaps in srvice level at BA.
o
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS

Your point of need for better staff, training,supervision, motivation etc has been brought up in manya such threads. Matter of fact yours truly faces heavy pushbacks when I used to highlight that CUSTOMERS are everything because some did not like being reminded of such glaring gaps in srvice level at BA.
o
I think the problem is forums like this give the impression that glaring gaps in BA service levels are commonplace. The feedback from regular BA customers on here suggests that not to be the case.
Prospero, Tobias-UK and icegirl like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by NickB
Exactly. Once one stops thinking of BA First as a first class product and instead think of it as Club World Plus (in the same sense that WT+ relates to WT), then it all becomes much more coherent.
This is exactly how I view BA F. I think it may have been Lucky on OMAAT that used the barbed description of BA F as "the best business class in the sky". I use it in this way, but in a positive sense. I generally try to avoid CW these days if possible, so when BA is the best/only option long haul, I will go in F whenever I can. DIne-on-demand is also a factor for me, and with BA, F is the only way to get it. This has meant BA F flights increasing from 3-5 a year to about a dozen, the extra being instead of CW. I haven't flown all the J cabins in the world, but have flown many and I'm yet to find one that I consider superior to BA F, as some feel, though in some cases the difference is a lot less than it perhaps should be. I do echo the comments about the downward trajectory of the F wine list, previously a BA strength.

All the same, whether you call it CW+, F-lite or just F, there is still no excuse for the level of inconsistency displayed in provision of product and service. Consistency should not be cabin or price-dependent, even if the expectation of it probably increases with the price. In that dozen or so BA F flights over the last year (fairly even mix of WW/MF crews), I haven't had any outright bad service, and much of it was very good, but many times one or more things which should be part of the F service has not been offered/delivered correctly, leaving aside a few hard product failures. I think this is the heart of the OP's comments, and I think it has some validity based on what I think is a reasonable sample size of F flights (less than some of course). It affects me less because I know what I expect / want and and am not afraid to ask for it. I probably pre-empt some possible disappointments (like being fed what I want, when I want), but that shouldn't be necessary.

BA's current CC recruitment policy isn't based on the service that could/should be delivered in F, which I rather suspect WW/AC view as a necessary evil rather than an aspiration.
That said, I don't really buy into the MF-bashing, overall my experience of service attitude from WW/MF is fairly even, the different style you sometimes experience based on the generational difference doesn't bother me. I've only noticed a difference when things go wrong, the longer experience of WW crews mean they may have more tricks up their sleeves to fix issues (normally hard product failures IME). That's not the fault of the MF crews, at least for me. Others' mileage, as always, may vary.
NickB and Prospero like this.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Feb 21, 2019 at 11:05 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I think the problem is forums like this give the impression that glaring gaps in BA service levels are commonplace. The feedback from regular BA customers on here suggests that not to be the case.
I've said before that we all have different standards.
Someone getting their glass refilled whilst dining in the first hour or so of the flight sees that crew and flight as fantastic.
The next person finds that something that should be done by default, not just once in the first hour of the flight.

The baseline is so low here that anything above it is treated as amazing.
Take the comment about treating it as CW+ rather than First. That's the problem. It's sold as a first cabin so you expect something akin to that, not having to lower your expectations down to "I might get a drink, I might get my first or second choice, the crew might acknowledge me" etc.
F is hyped up here as some incredible experience and seems to often result in disappoint when expectations aren't met.

I won't generally pay for F. Say £2300 in F against £300 in Y for a potentially half decent crew and a bigger seat for a few hours just isn't justifiable. CW I may push to but even then, any length of flight in Y is survivable for me and at least there are no expectations of grandeur there that will dealt a swift blow to
passy777 and HMPS like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.