Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
None of that matters, nobody should be treated differently or better, everyone should be given the best possible service.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by subject2load

What a fascinating idea !

Should we perhaps look at further ‘segregation’ - say, to distinguish those who may have paid a much higher cash fare than others, but travelling in the same F cabin, on the very same flight ?

If I had an urgent need to fly, say from London to Jo’burg nonstop next Wednesday, returning a week later - and was determined to fly First with BA - it would cost me around £11,500 for the privilege. A lot of money by most benchmarks.

But there will be people sitting in the cabin who will have booked cash tickets several months earlier, and hence will have paid far, far, less. Maybe £9000 less. Should the crew get given a fare breakdown by passenger so that they can then adjust their service standards accordingly ? Does one passenger get offered champagne, but another not ? Perhaps different crockery too ... ?

I get the impression you may not have quite thought this through.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Does that matter?

YES I have and it goes back to my original point. To make the airline perform with perfection both with soft and product and become a market leader they need exclusivity and not just make things freely available. They are a commercial airline out to make money and lots of it and how can they if rewards programs, for instance, are very lenient.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
But you forget unlike many other airlines BA restricts the number of customers on each flight using redemption and will let seats go empty rather than dilute the revenue earned in the cabin.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl
I see your point which is totally valid but you misunderstand my point, how many of these travellers are say using this through redemption that was made on business travel paid for by their employer.
And? What relevance is that?
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
YES I have and it goes back to my original point. To make the airline perform with perfection both with soft and product and become a market leader they need exclusivity and not just make things freely available. They are a commercial airline out to make money and lots of it and how can they if rewards programs, for instance, are very lenient.
Utter nonsense. The reward programme is there to do just that, reward frequent fliers for their loyalty.

Coming from a VERY working class background in an ex-mining community in Yorkshire I never dreamt that I would be able to fly in First Class. However, following quite a reasonable career (at least for someone from my background) I have made quite a few business trips to the US and India over the years, allowing me to treat my wife and I to our first ever First Class flights to celebrate my 50th birthday last year. The trip was extremely memorable, mainly because of the fantastic cabin crew. So much so that we have now paid cash for our second First. If this is as good as the last then BA would have a regular leisure flyer in F. If not we will be going back to J or taking our business elsewhere.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This is great but given there are plenty of stories here of passengers being unable to secure their first meal choice in F (I could be wrong but if I recall correctly BA only loads F to something like 130% in total for meals, so certainly not everyone can have every choice) - do you ever wonder if you're receiving special treatment? In any case, glad it was a good flight.
Not at all, because of my indecisiveness I‘d actually suggested that I’d have whichever of the two choices was left after others had made their selection - I was told there was plenty for everyone but I still declined the kind offer ... and I’m glad I did!

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Feb 20, 2019 at 2:05 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
To make the airline perform with perfection both with soft and product and become a market leader they need exclusivity and not just make things freely available. They are a commercial airline out to make money and lots of it and how can they if rewards programs, for instance, are very lenient.
You may get your wish soon enough. When First cabins are reduced in size, as noises suggest that they will be, and an increasing proportion of the fleet doesn't have First at all, getting into First by using the awards scheme will probably get progressively harder. It'll be matched by the increasing complaints here about how difficult it will have become to get an award seat in First.

The idea of having a true "first class", and a poorer first-and-a-half class for the less worthy is, nevertheless, bonkers.
icegirl and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
But you forget unlike many other airlines BA restricts the number of customers on each flight using redemption and will let seats go empty rather than dilute the revenue earned in the cabin.
Then they need to review their cabin density.
Originally Posted by simons1
And? What relevance is that?
Complaining about issues they are not really paying for.
Originally Posted by bakera

Utter nonsense. The reward programme is there to do just that, reward frequent fliers for their loyalty.

Coming from a VERY working class background in an ex-mining community in Yorkshire I never dreamt that I would be able to fly in First Class. However, following quite a reasonable career (at least for someone from my background) I have made quite a few business trips to the US and India over the years, allowing me to treat my wife and I to our first ever First Class flights to celebrate my 50th birthday last year. The trip was extremely memorable, mainly because of the fantastic cabin crew. So much so that we have now paid cash for our second First. If this is as good as the last then BA would have a regular leisure flyer in F. If not we will be going back to J or taking our business elsewhere.
FYI this has nothing to do about social class.

Then don't ever stay in proper 5 star hotels like Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts or eat in top end Michelin starred restaurants. They are not there to cater to cost conscious customers and have no loyalty programs unless you are someone on influential power clients such as heads of state, A list celebs or top CEO's.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
You may get your wish soon enough. When First cabins are reduced in size, as noises suggest that they will be, and an increasing proportion of the fleet doesn't have First at all, getting into First by using the awards scheme will probably get progressively harder. It'll be matched by the increasing complaints here about how difficult it will have become to get an award seat in First.

The idea of having a true "first class", and a poorer first-and-a-half class for the less worthy is, nevertheless, bonkers.
The new First wont be released until the upcoming new Club World is totally rolled out across the fleet. So I would say nothing until 2023/4 at the earliest.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Time to stop feeding the troll?
adrianlondon, SaraJH and Oaxaca like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Beergander
Ready for my upcoming First flight to KUL, I’ve prepared myself for the following;

Busy CCR with feet on tables
Two loud business men on mobiles
Bashed in toilet doors
Priority boarding chaos
Delays with first glass of LPGS
Running out of LPGS
Dirty cabin
WT quality food
Hot cabin
Toilet door hanging off
Indifferent crew

Am I missing anything?

I must say despite this list I’m incredibly exciting about the trip!

You must be a glutton for punishment ? I
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Quite normal prices, people who pay these fares don’t really care.
I can assure you they do. People who can afford £10,000 on an airplane ticket will have high standards. I know several high net worth individuals, and one thing they universally dislike is being ripped off "because they can afford it". If they pay F prices, they expect F service. If they didn't want F service or didn't care, they wouldn't buy F.
icegirl and SaraJH like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
FYI this has nothing to do about social class.

Then don't ever stay in proper 5 star hotels like Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts or eat in top end Michelin starred restaurants. They are not there to cater to cost conscious customers and have no loyalty programs unless you are someone on influential power clients such as heads of state, A list celebs or top CEO's.
Wow, someone got out of the wrong side of the bed today. For what it’s worth I have stayed in those hotels, and better. I’ve also eaten in many Michelin starred restaurants, and quite a few Wetherspoon’s along the way. Many of threse do have loyalty programmes and/or provide cash incentives through Amex cash back offers (and others) to entice businessmen/woman to utilse their establishment on expenses and subsequently receive a tax free back hander.

As mentioned up thread, time to stop feeding the troll, but I could not let this one go.
These establishments are no longer reserved for those born with a silver spoon.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:09 pm

There here should be segregation between both the true First class flyer who pays ticket price and those just on 2-4-1, redemptions etc.
What a bizarre comment to make.

Did it not occur to you before you posted that the ‘True first class flyer’ you alluded to, is very likely reaping the benefits of paying a fortune for past revenue trips when taking advantage of redemption tickets?

Irrespective of how one ‘pays’ for a product or service, they shouldn’t be diluted or the customer ‘segregated’ or treated differently just because they are the benefit of a loyalty scheme.

Last edited by passy777; Feb 20, 2019 at 4:15 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:13 pm

Where does someone whose ticket is paid by Great Aunt Maude fit in this merit table?
bakera and Oaxaca like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aristoph
Are BA mixed fleet crew so badly paid relative to airlines that can deliver consistently high standards in First that it explains the service differential?
Low pay usually results in higher turnover rates and a higher proportion of younger and less experienced crews

At the end of the day staff are a relatively minor part of the cost of an airline ticket.
Are they? I thought that staff alongside with fuel were the two biggest expenses for an airline.
icegirl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.