Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by icegirl

All they would have to do is say have a 60% markup on tickets.
Wow, don't ever apply for a job in revenue management.
Tobias-UK and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Cheap pay for crew or cheap tickets? The tickets are certainly not cheap. Picking random dates in March, I priced out YVR-LHR for a one week return trip. F came in at $15,569, or roughly £9025. Same flight in Y is $1160, or £672. For that sort of money I would expect F to be perfect.
Out of curiosity and because of this thread , i went and priced up a trip that i have booked in May to NYC - I paid £374 for my return in Y - I looked at the J and F prices for the same flight and was surprised to find the difference between the two classes was only £500 (where i was under the impression that a first ticket was at least £10,000 (how ridiculous of me).

But i am with Jagboi.. if i was to may 10 times more than i am paying for my Y ticket, then i am going to expect the service to be perfect in both J and F. Saying that, i used to expect a certain level of service from my Y attendants which i never got and then flew both United and AA and realised that BA crew really could not give less of a toss about any of us in Y whereas american carriers seem to actually care more.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by aristoph
That's exactly what we thought - we could be in J!
Funny you should say that, I actually pick J over F now because I've been so underwhelmed by BA's first class.

J is just fine for what I tend to pay for it. No way would I consider BA's F worth the premium.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:09 am

What's more alarming is that Alex Cruz made comments about improving F more on the soft side than the hard side for the "new F" - I think this was when he was talking about the A350 (the first of which come without F, but others will have F) IIRC. If we cannot get consistent service now, what hope do we have when the service is even more demanding?

rb211.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RG1X
Funny you should say that, I actually pick J over F now because I've been so underwhelmed by BA's first class.

J is just fine for what I tend to pay for it. No way would I consider BA's F worth the premium.
Funnily enough the reason I think BA F is still worth paying extra for is because the CW hard product isn't that great.

At the end of the day if you have to think twice about paying extra for F then I suspect it's not for you.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by aristoph
  • The First lounge at JNB is beyond bad. I used to be a regular on this route and remember when it was a definite upgrade to the old lounge. Now it is just overcrowded and grim - if you have Priority Pass, go somewhere else.
On this one specific point, ISTR that 2019 should be the year in which the JNB lounges are refurbished.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Funnily enough the reason I think BA F is still worth paying extra for is because the CW hard product isn't that great.

At the end of the day if you have to think twice about paying extra for F then I suspect it's not for you.
Way to go ! Devalue your number two product to drive traffic to number one product. Brilliant marketing ploy BA.

AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
As an update to my earlier post, just arrived back from LAX on the BA268 and, as anticipated, l had a great flight. Excellent, attentive crew, hot soup, hot food and cold champagne. When I expressed some indecisiveness about my main course choice the crew member offered to prepare two main courses just in case I didn’t like my first choice.

Drink and meal orders taken on the ground, drink arrived within 10 minutes of departure and food service completed within 90 minutes of departure. I enjoyed a good sleep in a cabin kept at an appropriate temperature.
bakera, Andriyko, HIDDY and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
As an update to my earlier post, just arrived back from LAX on the BA268 and, as anticipated, l had a great flight. Excellent, attentive crew, hot soup, hot food and cold champagne. When I expressed some indecisiveness about my main course choice the crew member offered to prepare two main courses just in case I didn’t like my first choice.

Drink and meal orders taken on the ground, drink arrived within 10 minutes of departure and food service completed within 90 minutes of departure. I enjoyed a good sleep in a cabin kept at an appropriate temperature.
This is great but given there are plenty of stories here of passengers being unable to secure their first meal choice in F (I could be wrong but if I recall correctly BA only loads F to something like 130% in total for meals, so certainly not everyone can have every choice) - do you ever wonder if you're receiving special treatment? In any case, glad it was a good flight.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by 108912
The three routes that I find with the worst catering in J and F are SYD/JNB/CPT - LHR.
I don't think it's just a BA problem at SYD, something has changed. I've had two pretty ropey meals in SQ Suites recently which were more like the offering in Y than F+.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Boten
Wow, don't ever apply for a job in revenue management.
There here should be segregation between both the true First class flyer who pays ticket price and those just on 2-4-1, redemptions etc.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I 100% disagree, all seats are paid for in one way or another and everyone sitting in First should be given the best service possible.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I 100% disagree, all seats are paid for in one way or another and everyone sitting in First should be given the best service possible.
I see your point which is totally valid but you misunderstand my point, how many of these travellers are say using this through redemption that was made on business travel paid for by their employer.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
There here should be segregation between both the true First class flyer who pays ticket price and those just on 2-4-1, redemptions etc.
What a fascinating idea !

Should we perhaps look at further ‘segregation’ - say, to distinguish those who may have paid a much higher cash fare than others, but travelling in the same F cabin, on the very same flight ?

If I had an urgent need to fly, say from London to Jo’burg nonstop next Wednesday, returning a week later - and was determined to fly First with BA - it would cost me around £11,500 for the privilege. A lot of money by most benchmarks.

But there will be people sitting in the cabin who will have booked cash tickets several months earlier, and hence will have paid far, far, less. Maybe £9000 less. Should the crew get given a fare breakdown by passenger so that they can then adjust their service standards accordingly ? Does one passenger get offered champagne, but another not ? Perhaps different crockery too ... ?

I get the impression you may not have quite thought this through.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I see your point which is totally valid but you misunderstand my point, how many of these travellers are say using this through redemption that was made on business travel paid for by their employer.
Does that matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.