Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by aristoph
The crew outbound was young and nervous, but proactive and attentive. They were also very slow to serve dinner; the table wasn't set until 1h30m out of LHR, and we didn't finish dessert until 3h+ after take-off. On the way back it was all much quicker, and over by 2h after wheels-up.
I think I can relate to this. I'm not what I'd call a regular First passenger - in the last 6-7 months I have flown four sectors. On three, the crew were impeccable and excelled in delivering the service tailored to my individual needs. The crew possess a personality trait I really admire; they are far more adept at reading people as I am and could ever be and they have an incredible ability to capture nuances very quickly and build a meaningful rapport with individual passengers - amazing really considering the very short introductions we have. In this respect, you'll never achieve consistency principally because every passenger is different, and the service delivered to one passenger will differ from the service delivered to the next. To me, this is quintessentially BA.

With the fourth flight in this set, the crew were young, a little nervous (as I sensed them) but nonetheless pro-practive and attentive. I think on this occasion I wasn't particular easy to read. We experienced a stream of delays prior to boarding (this was shortly after BA resumed its regular 789 service from SJC) and I was agitated when I boarded the aircraft, and spent the first hour on board in a state of "decompression". In this situation, I tend to block people out and can come across as "stand-offish". Consequently, there wasn't the usual relaxed banter with the crew I normally enjoy.

One thing I have learned from talking to BA cabin crew is the majority of First passengers are regulars (like Tobias-UK), who know exactly what they want in terms of inflight service and the style of engagement they have with the crew and that I suppose is mirrored in many ways how the crew engage with us.

So consistency across the board - certainly not. Nuanced, definitely. BA's First service is not homogenised but on several other airlines, I tend to think it is.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 19, 2019 at 1:57 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mike Skyflier
Returning from CPT last night in first one toilet would not flush and the hand basin in the other blocked. Cabin full but service and food ok but then expectations were not high to start with. Had Kingclip fish rather than beef or lamb and that was enjoyable. Smooth flight and on time which was good.
Ah, the 27 year-old 747 was it? :-) I have to say, I did like the A380 F cabin. I have flown the 747 F most often and used to love the "intimate" feel, but I am sold now on A380 space and working toilets!
Mike Skyflier likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by wyddfa

Perhaps there ought to be a FTers corner in a lounge :-)
Yes with a big black cloud overhead to mark the spot.
Mike Skyflier likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
At the end of the day, this is nothing more than a case of 'you pay cheap, you get cheap'. Simple.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by icegirl
At the end of the day, this is nothing more than a case of 'you pay cheap, you get cheap'. Simple.
Why are these South African routes so cheap in F and CW these days? I thought they were prestigious and profitable routes for BA? Or are they making a lot of money on the cargo?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Do you think this is how BA is training its flight attendants? Treat em sh&t guys, theyre only paying 2k! :-)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Does BA ever send round reminder notes to CSMs for them to be made aware of important service notes? Basic training I know, but Hot towels and treating passengers attentively in F are the basics...
Post of the year! This akeen to reminding your 19 year old to wipe his nose
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Why are these South African routes so cheap in F and CW these days? I thought they were prestigious and profitable routes for BA? Or are they making a lot of money on the cargo?
Agree, if you shop well there is not much different in both F or J certainly on the CPT route.

Do you think this is how BA is training its flight attendants? Treat em sh&t guys, theyre only paying 2k! :-)
Like I have said before if BA are serious and were to bring in world leading products to bring themselves into the front of commercial aviation, integrate mixed fleet into worldwide/legacy employment contracts and benefits all they would have to do is say have a 60% markup on tickets. This way you know the true serious premium spenders.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
... So consistency across the board - certainly not. Nuanced, definitely. BA's First service is not homogenised but on several other airlines, I tend to think it is.
What I would like to see is consistency of the service itself! Unless otherwise requested, the timing of drinks and meals should be similar on similar routes. The delivery of hot towels, amenity bags, water, chocolates etc should be consistent. Like the esteemed Prospero, I am not a frequent Firster! But I do it often enough on the same routes that I know what good service looks like, when I think I'm getting everything I should be at the appropriate times, and when there's something missing.

I don't think it matters what "type" of passenger one is, service should always be delivered with a smile (unless in mourning!) and one should feel that one could always ask for anything and it won't be either accepted or rejected with attitude. They should be pleased to serve and showing it!

The bottom line is that the spectrum is too wide. Take marvelous, and all crews should be within 80% of that. I've had one or two that were struggling to make 50% (and that's probably being generous!) (And they were on 772s - is there a correlation here?)

Perhaps my expectations are unreasonable, but I do not think they are.

rb211.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Like I have said before if BA are serious and were to bring in world leading products to bring themselves into the front of commercial aviation, integrate mixed fleet into worldwide/legacy employment contracts and benefits all they would have to do is say have a 60% markup on tickets. This way you know the true serious premium spenders.
Are BA mixed fleet crew so badly paid relative to airlines that can deliver consistently high standards in First that it explains the service differential? I get why a 2k ticket doesn’t get you vintage wines or a private car from the lounge to the terminal, but I’m not sure why it means you don’t get addressed with politeness by the crew and have to be grateful if you receive a premium service. At the end of the day staff are a relatively minor part of the cost of an airline ticket. I don’t think it’s because they are so badly paid that BA staff are inconsistent in delivering a reliable service to their First passengers.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Cheap pay for crew or cheap tickets? The tickets are certainly not cheap. Picking random dates in March, I priced out YVR-LHR for a one week return trip. F came in at $15,569, or roughly 9025. Same flight in Y is $1160, or 672. For that sort of money I would expect F to be perfect.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:57 pm

When the mixed fleet crew concept came about, we were assured by BA that they go through the same training as the WW fleet.

So why are the ones Ive encountered always nervous, raw around the edges and at times clueless and inconfident? Is this down to the relatively lower calibre of the unmotivated people that BA recruits, or insufficiently administered training?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Are BA mixed fleet crew so badly paid relative to airlines that can deliver consistently high standards in First that it explains the service differential? I get why a 2k ticket doesnt get you vintage wines or a private car from the lounge to the terminal, but Im not sure why it means you dont get addressed with politeness by the crew and have to be grateful if you receive a premium service. At the end of the day staff are a relatively minor part of the cost of an airline ticket. I dont think its because they are so badly paid that BA staff are inconsistent in delivering a reliable service to their First passengers.
Then again premium service sector employees in the UK dont usually tend to be British these days. If you go into 5 star hotel, 2/3 star Michelin restaurant or premium branded shops most if not all will have a higher ratio of non British nationals. I have long suspected we are now a nation to be served than to serve. In the case of BA crew and regardless of them being new or old fleet, I have always found them pretty spot on never to the point to send me into a meltdown because I never got an onboard welcome or how the wine was served etc..

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Cheap pay for crew or cheap tickets? The tickets are certainly not cheap. Picking random dates in March, I priced out YVR-LHR for a one week return trip. F came in at $15,569, or roughly 9025. Same flight in Y is $1160, or 672. For that sort of money I would expect F to be perfect.

Quite normal prices, people who pay these fares dont really care.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
When the mixed fleet crew concept came about, we were assured by BA that they go through the same training as the WW fleet.

So why are the ones Ive encountered always nervous, raw around the edges and at times clueless and inconfident? Is this down to the relatively lower calibre of the unmotivated people that BA recruits, or insufficiently administered training?
Well excuse me but I suppose when you first went into your trade of work in whatever that might be you were perfect out of the gate and ongoing performance was well rewarded?

On one of my last flights which was MF and one of the crew was new but she was being mentored by a senior member of staff at all times.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
BA's First service is not homogenised but on several other airlines, I tend to think it is.
This is precisely what is wrong with BA's service. No one expects passengers or CC to be 'homogenised'. Consistency should be evident in how the service is delivered. In a restaurant the staff may know the preference and personality of regular customers. That doesn't mean that they should forget to set the table for new clientele or fail to bring wine or take an order. Engaging with new people is what service industry professionals do every day. BA F fails to deliver consistently good service. Part of this seems to be related to training, supervision and (possibly) staff numbers. Having mediocre food, drink and hard product doesn't help.
HMPS and windowontheAside like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
I've done the BA F to and back from JNB a few times and I agree it is dreadful.

The crew seem to have NO IDEA about what they are doing. They are all very pleasant and nice but are either incredibly low IQ or just lack the training or supervision from the manager to ensure the service is delivered properly.

It can take 2-3 hours after take off to even get the starter. I often give up on the meal service and go to bed. It really is very poor for a F product and I Only fly CW on this route from now on.

My personal favourite is when you have to go into the galley to get your own cup of coffee in the morning as they have forgotten to actually bring it to you.

The food in F is also VERY poor.
AnaTravel likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.