Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Narita lounge refurbishment - until autumn 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond

I have a BA flight from NRT to LHR in May in F.

It looks like there is currently refurbishment works going on to the JAL lounges there and that they are turning away so other Oneworld customers (see discussion over at the Cathay board here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...enovation.html)

JAL info here: Partial Closure of JAL First Class Lounge and Sakura Lounge in the Main Building 3rd and 4th Floor, Narita International Airport - JAL International Flights

Was wondering if anyone has had any first hand experience of this on BA metal though?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Firstly I stress I don't know the answer. However given the JBA with BA/AY/JL and the metal neutrality, I would assume BA pax are treated as JAL pax rather than "other Oneworld" pax?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond
I was in the 1st class lounge (3rd floor) a couple of weeks ago while traveling on BA metal. No obvious signs of disruption - sushi bar was open and operating as normal.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

There is also the Satellite terminal JAL F lounge ( tends to be quieter but no sushi ) -about a 5-10min walk from the main Terminal F lounge.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
I was turned away at the main lounge a week ago at Narita and sent to the disgusting CX lounge which was busy, I walked to the satellite lounge and was one of 4 people in the 1st lounge. It depends on how busy the main lounge is, the dragon was very apologetic to turn me away which was bittersweet.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by OneworldHarj
I was turned away at the main lounge a week ago at Narita and sent to the disgusting CX lounge which was busy, I walked to the satellite lounge and was one of 4 people in the 1st lounge. It depends on how busy the main lounge is, the dragon was very apologetic to turn me away which was bittersweet.
Hi,

The CX lounge is the poorest one at Narita.

The AA and Qantas ( J lounges) are good and as mentioned the satellite F is very good.

The 4th floor F lounge ( being renovated now) was good when it was open.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Generally, both the main building lounge and the satellite lounge is only accepting passengers on JL metal. However, if you are there outside crush hours there are plenty of reports of people being let in to the JAL lounges without flying JL, particularly in the satellite lounge But there is no guarantee.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Mutu
Firstly I stress I don't know the answer. However given the JBA with BA/AY/JL and the metal neutrality, I would assume BA pax are treated as JAL pax rather than "other Oneworld" pax?
Not generally no, BA pax are generally treated as BA passengers. If you have a BA codeshare on JL metal that will keep you under JL treatment
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Generally, both the main building lounge and the satellite lounge is only accepting passengers on JL metal. However, if you are there outside crush hours there are plenty of reports of people being let in to the JAL lounges without flying JL, particularly in the satellite lounge But there is no guarantee.
The timing of the BA flight helps here because after about 1030 all the US flights have gone and the main building F lounge is deserted. I was there 3 weeks ago and had no problems with entry and had a choice of all but about 5 seats.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
I hope the refit includes an improvement to the lounge, considering JAL's on board F product is pretty good, their F lounge doesn't match it.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
If anyone can read Japanese the oneworld app had this to say about it. Will be flying out of NRT on the 27th so will update then.

Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by ceej123
If anyone can read Japanese the oneworld app had this to say about it. Will be flying out of NRT on the 27th so will update then.

You should download the Google Translate app, it will translate it for you:

First class lounge (4th floor of main terminal building) will be closed from 1st November 2018 until the 2019 spring due to renovation. During this period, the JAL lounge can not be used when boarding oneworld flights other than the above 4 airlines. For customers who board flights operated by Sri Lankan Airlines, only satellite lounges can be used.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ceej123

Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not how it was worded on the signs in the airport last I looked at them. I will have to read them again this Saturday to see what they specifically say.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond
Thanks for the help (and promises of feedback from future trips).

I did ask YouFirst too. All they added to above was that they hadn't been told by JAL of any specific restrictions, but that of course the usual Oneworld capacity rules would apply.

From my personal perspective as I'm travelling in the second in phase of works when the main (and I'm assuming larger) First lounge should be re-open and the satellite lounge closed, and because of the point above about the timing of the BA flight, I'm hopeful that this isn't going to be an issue for me.

And if it is, I'm pretty sanguine, F would have still made sense given the flight length, and I will still have the Qantas and AA J lounges to bide my time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.