Wiki Posts
Search

BLR-BOM-LHR: One PNR on BA+9W?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
BLR-BOM-LHR: One PNR on BA+9W?

Apologies if this is an obvious question, but I am looking at some flights on ITAMatrix out of BLR that route via BOM on Jet Airways before connecting to the BA 138. Would these wind up booking on one PNR and thus have protection? (And if so, would it be 9W who protects?)

E.g.
Bangalore (BLR) to London (LHR) — Wed, Mar 27

Bangalore (BLR) to Mumbai (BOM) — Wed, Mar 27
Jet Airways 442 Dep: 8:35 pm Arr: 10:30 pm
1h 55m Boeing 737 Business (P)

Layover in BOM 3h 45m

Mumbai (BOM) to London (LHR) — Thu, Mar 28
British Airways 138 Dep: 2:15 am Arr: 6:55 am
10h 10m Boeing 777 Business (I)

CHI IB X/LON BA BLR Q12.00 M 1000.00INXZ94S7 9W X/BOM BA LON IB CHI Q12.00 M 1000.00INXZ94S7 1S50.00 NUC 2074.00 END ROE 1.00 XT 5.77YC 7.00XY 3.96XA 37.20US 5.60AY 200.10GB 90.10UB 1.70IN 3.80WO 898.10YQ 7.70YR 4.50XF ORD4.50

Looking on a different day, I saw Air India come up in a similar way. I've never done a connection like this, so want to understand how risky it would be. I also saw some Vistara flights that are BA codeshares, but that's not the case with these ones.

Last edited by Gildas; Feb 17, 2019 at 10:01 pm Reason: Fixing ugly copy/paste
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
if ITA Matrix suggested the connection that means it meets the Minimum Connection Time at the given airport and there's an underlying fare you can book directly with BA or through a travel agent. Having both flights on a single ticket also protects you in case your first flight gets delayed, you'll be rebooked onto next available flight.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I've done this in reverse. GLA-LHR-BOM-BLR on BA+JetAirways. All on one ticket and I think booked direct with BA.

You will have no problem.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ticketing offline to include multiple airlines is perfectly normal behaviour and in the old days of high street travel agents and pre-internet this was the complete norm, having multiple airlines on one or more tickets, all within one PNR. It's only when things like BA.com started to streamline options to just BA / BA + oneworld that this question would even arise. As it happens, if you look around BA.com you will see all sorts of oddities including trips to Bastia with Air Corsica.

Virgin travellers see more interesting trips, they will quite happily pitch up things like NCL-LHR on BA then LHR to LAS on VS.

Protection comes via the PNR, but note if you miss your flight, getting rebooked will be easy enough, but obviously you need to consider what Plan B looks like in terms of acceptability.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Gildas
Apologies if this is an obvious question, but I am looking at some flights on ITAMatrix out of BLR that route via BOM on Jet Airways before connecting to the BA 138. Would these wind up booking on one PNR and thus have protection?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ticketing offline to include multiple airlines is perfectly normal behaviour and in the old days of high street travel agents and pre-internet this was the complete norm, having multiple airlines on one or more tickets, all within one PNR.
For clarity, that's "offline" in the sense of "interline" (= from one airline to another airline), rather than in the sense of "not via the internet". These interline tickets can routinely be booked "online" (in the sense of "via the internet").

If ITA shows you an itinerary, it can be booked onto one PNR if you book it all in one go using that fare.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Thanks all. That's a huge help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.