Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How full BA Airbus A380-800 (388) SFO to LHR (to Rome)?

Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

I'm considering using my American Airlines miles from SFO to get to Rome Oct. 8, 2019, Tuesday, 2 pax interested in SFO to LHR and then to a Rome airport. The plane is British Airways Airbus Flight 284, we could do 286, but prefer the earlier arrival. It's an Airbus A380-800 (388). From traveling on a few Airbuses in different parts of the world, mostly the plane was empty, so we could spread out. If this where to hold true on this flight, I prefer to only use the minimum 30,000. Do you think this flight will be full? If so, then I will get the business class. We understand we'll have to double the miles, but I don't want to waste it, if I can just sleep across seats in cheapo class. Also, which side of plane is better for views when we land and take off from LHR. Thank you.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

The 284, which is the earlier flight, is a 747 and the 286 is an A380.

As to how empty it might be that's just too early to tell but I doubt there will be many empty rows in either plane. It's a very popular route for leisure and business travellers especially for the former at that time of year.

If you want a guaranteed sleep it's perhaps worth using your AA miles for business class and economy back? I can see 5 seats on BA.com for the later 286 but none for the 284. If you want them you'd be advised to snap them up as no guarantee they will appear again and im not sure what the AA website shows.

As for the best views, again that's very variable so I wouldn't like to predict that.

There is a lot of information in the Forum Dashboard and I'll sign off meantime, from a very cold Nevada!!, but a warm welcome to Flyertalk and the BA board talkalotflyalot.

I'm sure others will maybe chip in with their views too.

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Feb 17, 2019 at 9:40 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

You're so kind, Pete. GREAT info. I tried to book a dummy flight for BA to see the seats and gave up so, I'm super glad you went and did that for me. HUGS! Thanks for the welcome. Now to find a Dashboard. And yes, we really do want our sleep. From the basic research I just did, I can see a pic of the feet elevated, but not sure if the seat lies flat/parallel to the floor. OH- I just noticed the 747. Ok then, we're looking at different dates and categories and flights, so I got confused. I didn't catch that, so then, I might do business if it's a 747.

Would anyone recommend the 747 or Airbus over the other?

Last edited by talkalotflyalot; Feb 17, 2019 at 10:13 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by talkalotflyalot
I'm considering using my American Airlines miles from SFO to get to Rome Oct. 8, 2019, Tuesday, 2 pax interested in SFO to LHR and then to a Rome airport. The plane is British Airways Airbus Flight 284, we could do 286, but prefer the earlier arrival. It's an Airbus A380-800 (388). From traveling on a few Airbuses in different parts of the world, mostly the plane was empty, so we could spread out. If this where to hold true on this flight, I prefer to only use the minimum 30,000. Do you think this flight will be full? If so, then I will get the business class. We understand we'll have to double the miles, but I don't want to waste it, if I can just sleep across seats in cheapo class. Also, which side of plane is better for views when we land and take off from LHR. Thank you.
I believe the 284 is a 747 and the 286 is an A380.

On a Tuesday the loads are generally a bit lower, but honestly it's a bit far out to make a decent prediction. If London were to host a high tech conference that Thursday through Sunday (for example) you may find that plane getting rather full. Anyway, Tuesdays are usually a bit easier as I said, but sometimes SFO-LHR can be fairly full any day of the week.

rb211.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Before you get too excited, BA is the last airline you'd want to fly using miles especially if you want Business Class. Not only is BA Business Class one of the worst Business Class products in the sky, BA charges positively obscene fees for the privilege and a fee to select seats in advance. BA even screws you on Economy awards fees.

For 2 pax, one way...
• SFO-Rome in AA Economy: 60,000 miles and $11.20
• SFO-Rome in BA Economy: 60,000 miles and $505.00
• SFO-Rome in AA Business Class: 115,000 miles and $11.20
• SFO-Rome in BA Business Class: 115,000 miles and $1,220.00
nancypants and skywardhunter like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Feb 17, 2019 at 11:48 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can't get AA metal and have to pay the BA fees, you may want to look at just buying a Premium Economy ticket. $1,252 per person and you'll earn miles.

nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Buying a roundtrip Premium Economy ticket at $1,252 is actually less than just the taxes/fees on a BA Business Class award ticket. And it won't cost you any miles.

nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Wow, it's as if you've read my screen. When I went back tonight it was gone. When I booked another route, I got the above info. We were shocked we still had to pay $1200. We're now looking at other options. THANKS everyone. But what I could really use help with, is when I registered on here tonight, a voice said, add her and click allow, so I did and now i have some secure encrypt at my default search....any tips how to get rid of it would be most appreciated.

Well it was fun to dream of business class, even for those few hours....sigh....
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
you can always try your trip via LAX-LHR-FCO and see how much the cost would be because if you are able to stick to AA metal from LAX you still have a chance to use your miles to upgrade. like SFO however, it is still a rather busy route in business, however again on a tuesday--you have a better chance than any other days of the week.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We just bought a $11.20 flight. We can't afford business class.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks everyone. We just bought a $11.20 flight. We can't afford business class.
Thats a great fare! Now everyone can afford to fly 😀

Doc Copper
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Wow, it's as if you've read my screen. When I went back tonight it was gone. When I booked another route, I got the above info. We were shocked we still had to pay $1200. We're now looking at other options. THANKS everyone. But what I could really use help with, is when I registered on here tonight, a voice said, add her and click allow, so I did and now i have some secure encrypt at my default search....any tips how to get rid of it would be most appreciated.
This sounds like to rogue advert that FlyerTalk has shown. Just google how to remove it - it shouldn't be too difficult.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:22 am

Also, which side of plane is better for views when we land and take off from LHR.
On this point I would disagree with Pete - you are pretty likely to be approaching LHR from the east so you want to be sitting on the right hand side of the plane. If the weather is nice, you should get some lovely views over central London including the London Eye etc.

Its certainly not guaranteed as the normal pattern does change based on wind direction, but ordinarily you would be coming in from the east.

[ETA: Note thats for landing at LHR. For taking off it doesnt matter so much as youll usually be getting countryside views which are nice either way. Sometimes you can get London views - notably as you turn over Hampstead Heath - but Id more focus on the SFO approach for your return, if thats at all predictable.]

Last edited by Ldnn1; Feb 18, 2019 at 1:35 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.