Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to claim refund of APD etc on unused flights?

Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club

I've tried searching, but can't find the answer to what must surely be a reasonably common query...

I booked TATL redemption flights (in CW) for myself and a "companion" (using an Amex 241 voucher). At the last minute, said companion was unable to travel on the outbound flight (went down with flu), and obviously could not take the inbound flight either. Companion was checked in (online) for the outbound flight (but subsequently offloaded, at my request); he was effectively a 'no-show' for the return flight.

What am I entitled to reclaim for BA for the flights not taken? APD alone was 156 pp, but total "Government, authority and airport charges" were 649.32 pp (including 400 "YQ").

And, as a matter of practicality, how exactly do I apply for whatever refund IS due? It is (presumably deliberately!) not clear on ba.com what form I should use.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
What do you class as "last minute"? Less than 24 hours before departure or more than 24hrs? As I believe this does make a differance on what you will get back.

From the dashboard....
  • If the booking is cancelled before 24 hours of the first flight, the Avios, taxes, and fees will be refunded, plus the companion voucher. Generally the voucher and Avois will be refunded quite quickly, with the monetary components taking a few more days to process. A cancellation fee will apply unless you are a BAEC Gold Guest List card holder.
Also this read talks about pros and cons of cancelling online or over the phone......
Cancelling Companion Voucher Reward flights - refund?

Also this thread may help (apologies if you have already seen it)
BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Edit...
Apologies I have just re read your post. Your companion was checked in then unloaded in relation to the outbound flight? So it was less then 24hrs before the flight?, and you did fly correct? Others more knowledgeable than myself will come along when it is a better time of the day, but I suspect you will not get anything back in this scenario

Bri

Last edited by hanmer; Feb 17, 2019 at 7:07 pm Reason: re-read OP's post.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hanmer
Apologies I have just re read your post. Your companion was checked in then unloaded in relation to the outbound flight? So it was less then 24hrs before the flight?, and you did fly correct? Others more knowledgeable than myself will come along when it is a better time of the day, but I suspect you will not get anything back in this scenario
I would disagree here

The taxes of 249.32 should be refunded minus the administration fee
cbagent likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Yes, it was less than 24 hours before outbound flight. Companion did his own OLCI at T-24, then I advised BA he would be unable to fly (so they could offload him) at about T-2.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would disagree here

The taxes of 249.32 should be refunded minus the administration fee
Thats what Im hoping!

But (again) can anyone tell me how to claim, please? Is there an online form?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:10 pm

Whilst the thread is here, is it possible to claim the taxes back for unused sectors booked through a travel agent?

I had an unused WTP sector booked through an agent, I know any changes before the flight are subject to extortionate agent fees, but can I claim the taxes back from BA directly, after the no show, or will the agent have done that on my behalf (and probably kept it)?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by steview111
Whilst the thread is here, is it possible to claim the taxes back for unused sectors booked through a travel agent?

I had an unused WTP sector booked through an agent, I know any changes before the flight are subject to extortionate agent fees, but can I claim the taxes back from BA directly, after the no show, or will the agent have done that on my behalf (and probably kept it)?
if you mean not flying a part of your itinerary (as opposed to the whole of it), BA will first recalculate the fare of what you actually flew including change fees before calculating any refund due for taxes, ie in most cases youll owe them money rather than the other way round.

if you mean not having flown anything then yes it doesnt matter that its a ta booking or a direct booking.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by larryflyer
Bump. (Sorry!!)

Surely someone on this esteemed forum has made a claim? Please do tell how the process is initiated - or do I have to endure the mild torture of trying to get through to a call centre...?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
bumping your own post is against FT rules.

I'd just phone BA up as this wasn't a normal cancellation that can be done on line as it also apparently involved a no show.

What did they say when you cancelled his flight.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
bumping your own post is against FT rules.
Oops, sorry. I thought it might be frowned up (as bad etiquette), but didn't realise it is actually against the rules.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'd just phone BA up as this wasn't a normal cancellation that can be done on line as it also apparently involved a no show.

What did they say when you cancelled his flight.
I asked at the desk (airside at T5) after requesting he be offloaded from the outbound flight. They confirmed I should be able to apply for refund of APD, but didn't specify how (and alas I didn't press further at that stage). What they DID advise, was that I should wait until after both flights (outbound and inbound) were completed, before applying. Companion never checked in for the return flight (he was still in the UK, nursing his flu). So yes, he was technically a no-show for the return flight (although presumably no longer entitled to take it anyway, after missing the outbound flight). BA indicated I did not need to take any further action until after I (as the other person on the booking) had completed both flights. Which, by now, I have.

Okay, call centre it is then.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by larryflyer

Thats what Im hoping!

Have you tried making a telephone call to BA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.