Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another drink after meal service has finished in CW?

Another drink after meal service has finished in CW?

Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Particularly in upper deck, there is no harm in using the call bell. There are just 20 passengers and 2 crew for them and often it's one of the more boring sections of the aircraft for the staff. So it really is not a problem anyway, but definitely not an issue in UD. One advantage of UD is that the cabin crew - with relatively few passengers to look after, many of which will be regulars - can read the passengers quite well. But just ping away if you don't want to untangle headphones and what not. Since it's quite a small area a crew member may be visible anyway and a polite hand wave may do the necessary. The obvious thing to do though, as the dessert / cheese is cleared away, is ask for a drink at that point, port is a common request.

The one thing to perhaps slightly bear in mind, is that there is bit of downtime and a chance of a cup of tea for the crew after the meal is served and Club Kitchen put out (mostly downstairs, though there may be a few things on the ledge at the top of the stairs). They will typically have boarded 60 minutes before you and will normally have been on the go - getting to the airport, through security, on to the aircraft, prepping up - with only a short break during take off. So if you want to be unnecessarily considerate to the crew either get your drink with the tray clear-up or leave it perhaps 45 minutes. But you need a drink, you need a drink!
Thanks that’s really helpful, I’ve only flown CW a couple of times and it was quite a few years ago. I’ve never flown on the UD so want to really enjoy the experience but like to be mindful of do’s and don’ts, I wouldn’t want to be an annoying passenger!!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've found very good service on the UD. A little pleasant chat with the crew, and I never needed to ask for a top up, it was forthcoming without request. Same hasn't always been the case on lower deck. Probably crew / passenger ratio,

I have occasionally nipped to the galley if needed for a wee dram to help with sleep.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many cabin crew don't approve of passengers helping themselves to alcohol. In fact, they're likely to want to bring the glass to your seat, rather than handing you the beverage in the galley. They especially might frown on someone navigating the stairs with a (breakable) glass or a hot beverage.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Please never be worried about coming to the galley, never forget we are working and you are paying.
Personally I prefer customers using the call bell as I like the service part of the job, I absolutely have no problem if you want to stretch your legs and have a chat in the galley.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Please never be worried about coming to the galley, never forget we are working and you are paying.
Personally I prefer customers using the call bell as I like the service part of the job, I absolutely have no problem if you want to stretch your legs and have a chat in the galley.
I suspect most of those worried are American or used to travelling on US airlines, where the FAs will kill you if you dare step in the sanctum sanctorum galley.
trains likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Maybe, it seems strange to me as it is what I am used too.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bluesky30

Thanks that’s really helpful, I’ve only flown CW a couple of times and it was quite a few years ago. I’ve never flown on the UD so want to really enjoy the experience but like to be mindful of do’s and don’ts, I wouldn’t want to be an annoying passenger!!
have you selected your seats, if not you need to do it for a even better experience
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I try to ask when they are passing and usually say when you e done x (as they may be going to clear the cabin for example) could I trouble you to get me another drink but I feel guilty if they stop what they were doing to fetch it as I would be quite happy to wait.

Interestingly even on a night flight in J on AA and on the day flight the crew came by regularly to see if we wanted any drinks.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by Bluesky30
Thanks everyone for replying. I wouldn’t want to use the call bell to get a drink, that just seems really lazy and I’d feel guilty expecting crew to come to me so I’ll happily go to the Galley and ask or go downstairs to the club kitchen

Nonsense.

It is wha tthe call bell is for.

ESp on my last trip where i got once single g;... offerred or my meal, and that was halfway through main course (none offered for starter tc.)
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
CIHY - what’s the view on the call bell? Always too scared to push it as I don’t want to appear lazy... but equally I am not sure about appearing in the galley and interrupting...? Help...
Given the amount of money (in comparison) paid for J we should never feel bad about the call bell!

I quite like going to the galley though and would never use it, I’m quite young and pretty much have zero excuse! On American flights I just play with the British accent, seems to work like a charm at neutralising any anger...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
SPOILER ALERT: you wont be asked. at least given the mix of crew, so maybe your flight will be proactive and do their service...or not! its a gamble. but whatever you want, ask for it.

so yes, call button to your content or get up and ask as its always a nice stretch
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I find walking up to the Club galley for a drink and chat usually results in more food forced on me, especially on a night flight! My last flight the crew had a big bag of Haribo stashed away, and we added to ice cream for a off menu dessert.
OneworldHarj likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:31 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
This week flying with SWMBO East this week I decided to drink on the flight ( I don't usually). Several G&T's later, a mixture of seat service and fetch our own from galley.
For reasons that will be clear, I won't mention the exact flight, but in the end, one of the crew members simply plonked a full bottle of champagne on my table and with a wink said "enjoy".
So I did. I never did find out if they ran out of Tanqueray.....
JamieABZ likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
have you selected your seats, if not you need to do it for a even better experience
Yes I’ve got 63k
fotographer likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Walk to the galley and have a pleasant conversation along with your drink. On my last Club World flight to Seoul, I ended up being given the bottle of champagne as a reward for the stimulating convo lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.