Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reward flights to Caribbean, advice please.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward flights to Caribbean, advice please.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:44 pm

xmas day and new year’s eve are very quiet days to fly, and normally loads of redemption flight open up, so celebrate xmas on the 24th fly on the 25th.

‘’but if that does not work look at the connections via mia or any florida airport or south carolina. there is normally some route that will work with a short 1-2 hour short hall connection.

Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your thoughts here.

At the moment I'm looking at possibly succumbing to an economy redemption this Jan (still plenty of availability there) and swallowing the worse value I know I'll get per Avios but keeping a watch for the outside chance Club World comes up and jumping on it if it does. I can swallow £35 / person cancellation of the economy redemption on the off chance I can switch to Club.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A classic example of personal perspectives! Remembering the prime objective is what counts.

.... although personally I wouldn’t do that in Y.

If I get unlucky, I would take redeyedonkey’s idea ... burn the 241 to <somewhere in the US> and pay to move on from there (thus earning some TPs) ... thanks for the thought, Red!. ^

Last edited by T8191; Feb 20, 2019 at 3:01 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Barbados gets a few mentions in this thread and is mostly eye watering expensive over xmas and the new year with many quite nice, but not exactly excellent hotels ( like the Fairmont in Holetown ) charging four figures to stay a night.

Fast forward 14 days and the weather is the same mid January but prices soften considerably once Tarqin and Mercedes go back to school.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcylocal

Doesn’t sound like it will help you now, but for future reference it is possible to get round this by booking the outbound as a one-way then calling one of the international numbers at 0000 GMT when the return seats are released to add them on. Or if you have enough Avios booking the one-ways separately then calling to merge the bookings later. Full details in the thread linked above.
lcylocal : I'm not sure I see the link you reference, could you please share? Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by paul_brad
lcylocal : I'm not sure I see the link you reference, could you please share? Thanks.
I think it was the one in this post, which has a lot of very useful information about using 2-4-1 vouchers:-
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Welcome to Flyertalk Paul! I suggest you have a good read of the companion voucher thread, excellent FAQs and lots of tips. Long story short, but you’ve likely missed all the guaranteed seats for that time frame and so will be relying on a further release which is a maybe or maybe not and hard to make plans around especially with a little one. I’d suggest not trying the voucher on this occasion and looking at cash options / alternative destinations?

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
paul_brad likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191
A classic example of personal perspectives! Remembering the prime objective is what counts.

.... although personally I wouldn’t do that in Y.

If I get unlucky, I would take redeyedonkey’s idea ... burn the 241 to <somewhere in the US> and pay to move on from there (thus earning some TPs) ... thanks for the thought, Red!. ^
[smugmode]
Or as we do actually be in the Caribbean when you need to book the 2-4-1 flights out for next year - means the 2 business class seats come available at the rather more civilised time of 7pm (just before dinner).

The return flights can then be booked back in the UK when UK call centre wakes up at 7:30am as they only become available at 5am UK time..

[/smugmode]

PS Outbound flight to Jamaica in business * 2 looks available on Weds 19th Feb 2020 when I last looked which might fit @T8191 's requirements.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
As it will be tough, an alternative may be MIA and then AA (or other flights) from there to an island of choice.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Barbados gets a few mentions in this thread and is mostly eye watering expensive over xmas and the new year with many quite nice, but not exactly excellent hotels ( like the Fairmont in Holetown ) charging four figures to stay a night.

Fast forward 14 days and the weather is the same mid January but prices soften considerably once Tarqin and Mercedes go back to school.
Indeed had no problems getting 2 Club World tickets there and back in February...
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

So I'm half way there, just got 2 Club World out on Jan 1st...!

I'd like guidance from anyone who understands how the BA rule that if your infant turns 2 while you are away you get a seat on the return flight at a lap-infant fare works on reward flights. If I do manage to get a return flight in Club World there are very likely to be max 2 reward seats available, given the circumstances does anyone know (or would hypothesise) as to if BA would honour their position of giving the child a seat at the same fare as a lap-infant by giving you a non-reward seat?

If you aren't aware of this rule I've pasted the wording from the BA site below.

Infants who become children while travelling

If you're travelling with an infant who reaches the age of 2 during their journey, your child will need their own seat for any flights on and after their 2nd birthday. We won’t charge you extra for this; you'll only pay the infant fare for the entire journey.

This booking can't be made online, so contact us and we'll be pleased to help you.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by firstlight
... <snip>

PS Outbound flight to Jamaica in business * 2 looks available on Weds 19th Feb 2020 when I last looked which might fit @T8191 's requirements.
KIN is sort of 'last resort' [no pun intended] but I'm now starting to look at BA (2-4-1) to somewhere in the US, and then AA onward from there.

Don't want to waste a 2-4-1, but always need TPs, so this looks like my win-win solution as redeyedonkey suggested up-thread. Need to look at a comfy routing to the US, and then a TP-efficient bimble to wherever, with couple of extra sectors!. Time is largely immaterial ... it took us 3 days to get to Hawaii!

PS: she is not averse to this plan, provided the BA>AA connection is safe on separate booking! She also knows these things

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.