Can’t upgrade using avios

Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alex67500
Sorry, I must admit my ignorance, but what's a BT fare? (And what does BT stand for?)
Bulk tour. This may help What is bulk/consolidator fare, and why it's valuable to UA flyer

BT/IT are non public special fares.
adrianlondon and alex67500 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Actually it isn't and that is whats stops BA from letting you upgrade using Avios. If you are upgrading a cabin then they need to know how much you paid in taxes [sic] so that they can calculate the new taxes [sic] (this has been told to me on many occasions).

Fare has nothing to do with it in this case.
The fare is relevant; if it isn't visible, as in this case of an IT/BT type fare, then it isn't eligible for UuA.

The end result is the same of course, you can't UuA, but I promise that taxes, fees, and charges are always visible on tickets, even hidden fare ones. I've seen, and exchanged, many IT/BT tickets in my career.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Im not sure if i really believe this whole thing about the taxes. BA.COM website works out how much is needed for the upgrade including the taxes and the avios amount needed. It then lets you proceed putting in payment card details etc only when the payment is passed the 3d secure stage does it say cant be completed online and need to call the service centre.

No this wasnt AMEX travel it was Travel Up which i found through skyscanner. Fare was £80 Cheaper than BA
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Uhm... never been able to upgrade with avios... and it's not for want of trying. I always get the 'contact BA' pop up and when I do there's no availability.

(also trying to do an avios booking Washington DC to LHR Aug/Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec in CW or F - pitiful availability - and no Thursday/Friday at all).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by KARFA
Bulk tour. This may help What is bulk/consolidator fare, and why it's valuable to UA flyer

BT/IT are non public special fares.
Thanks! I have a feeling they're not as useful on BA as they are on UA though... But it gives a general idea.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Actually it isn't and that is whats stops BA from letting you upgrade using Avios. If you are upgrading a cabin then they need to know how much you paid in taxes so that they can calculate the new taxes (this has been told to me on many occasions).

Fare has nothing to do with it in this case.
Except that usually the taxes are usually displayed but the fare isnt. However upgrade with Avios t n c dont allow uogrades on.bt fares
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by djtriggz
Im not sure if i really believe this whole thing about the taxes. BA.COM website works out how much is needed for the upgrade including the taxes and the avios amount needed. It then lets you proceed putting in payment card details etc only when the payment is passed the 3d secure stage does it say cant be completed online and need to call the service centre.
It isn’t about the taxes, fees, and charges. IT/BT tickets need to be reissued a certain way, and BA.com can’t do it. Ideally, it would realize this at the start of the process, not the end...
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
In future, book direct through BA.com to ensure that all WT+ fares can be upgrade. Apart from Y upgraded to W, all WT+ fares are upgradeable. Are you on a 125 ticket ?
wait, what?

How?

Isn't availability based on CW availability?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by flyer200
Isn't availability based on CW availability?
Yes - CW award availability, to be precise. I don't think mikeyfly was intending to set out an exhaustive list of conditions for upgrading WT+ --> CW, just dealing with the apparent issue reported by the OP and some of the possible reasons for the problem.
flyer200 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.