I've been hacked!

Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by marshy11
I don't have much to add, but definitely change your email password, then the BAEC password. To be absolutely certainl I would run something like Malewarebytes (free) on your system to be absolutely sure you haven't got any nasties on your machine.

Hopefully the hacker hasn't got your credit card info too....perhaps a call/check with Amex and any other cards may be prudent.
Changing your e-mail password in addition to BAEC is excellent advice. I know we all (including myself) get lazy with password re-use, but one thing I never reuse is my Google account password.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Gig103
I know we all (including myself) get lazy with password re-use...
Not me. Every single one is unique and stored in a vault that's replicated on all my devices. Of course, if the vault gets hacked I'm in some trouble.
mrow, missdimeaner and citytom like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
Originally Posted by BigLar
OP here ...

240,000 avios were taken from my account for the flight.

It is definitely not a simple case of someone using the wrong BAEC account by accident.
I do apologise for brushing it off as something more innocuous. Share your (implied) scepticism about any BA 'investigation', it would be nice of them to explain to you exactly how the booking was made (i.e. over the phone / through an app / website) - though I doubt they will be that helpful.

Can't see how the password was obtained by force (given account locking mechanism), and sure if the modernizr breach had been collecting Executive Numbers / Password BA would have notified customers (even they can't be THAT incompetent).

Do you use any online aggregation tools like Award Wallet out of interest?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by citytom
I do apologise for brushing it off as something more innocuous.
No worries, mate.
Originally Posted by citytom
Do you use any online aggregation tools like Award Wallet out of interest?
No. I keep all my info on an external hard drive, which is normally off.

Interestingly enough, the fees, YQ, etc. were paid with a credit card (Master Card) that I don't recognize. If someone wanted to take the trouble, I suppose they could try to trace that back, though it's likely a stolen number, too.

For passwords, I tend to use a combination of letters/numbers/caps/special characters that I find easy to remember, but unless you're a ham radio operator from the vacuum tube era, the string would make no sense to you.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:49 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
The logic of this cartoon is a little off (since there are dictionary attacks)
https://xkcd.com/936/
But it's funny and some sites now disallow correcthorsebatterystaple as a valid password as a result.
golfmad and Takiteasy like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ha!

Just got another email from BA, confirming that I have changed my email address (probably the scammer is smartening up). Immediately called them and notified them of the action and that it was not my doing.

They are "investigating" and will let me know, but not to worry. Hmmm.

I also inquired about changing the account number - they told me I could do it, but best wait until they finish their "investigation".

Curiouser and curiouser.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Alternatively, call back when you'll more than likely get a UK call centre. As the OP said...
Bit stuffed on that if it ends up being an urgent matter, Mr Sarcasm.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:47 am

Ha!

Just got another email from BA, confirming that I have changed my email address (probably the scammer is smartening up). Immediately called them and notified them of the action and that it was not my doing.

They are "investigating" and will let me know, but not to worry. Hmmm.

I also inquired about changing the account number - they told me I could do it, but best wait until they finish their "investigation".

Curiouser and curiouser.
If the email address was changed after you’ve changed your password you may have some kind of key logger on your computer or a man in the middle issue.

Perhaps the email change took place before you changed your password? I assume your account has been completely locked out by BA after you told them this?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
If the email address was changed after you’ve changed your password you may have some kind of key logger on your computer or a man in the middle issue.

Perhaps the email change took place before you changed your password? I assume your account has been completely locked out by BA after you told them this?
When I talked to them last night, right after I changed my password, I couldn't get in because the account was locked. It still is this morning, so I'm presuming the scammer changed the email addy before then. He must have realized his mistake when the ticket was cancelled.

As of now, the account is locked until further notice - after which, I'll change the account number and hopefully put a stop to this nonsense.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:46 pm

When I talked to them last night, right after I changed my password, I couldn't get in because the account was locked. It still is this morning, so I'm presuming the scammer changed the email addy before then. He must have realized his mistake when the ticket was cancelled.

As of now, the account is locked until further notice - after which, I'll change the account number and hopefully put a stop to this nonsense.
Unfortunately if the email address was changed by the bad actor after you changed your password, then changing your account number likely won’t help.

But if as is likely (hopefully) they changed it before you changed your password, then whilst it may give you comfort to change your exec club number, it isn’t necessary if you have a strong password.

Do make sure and change all your other online passwords though.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
The thief wouldn't care about price, assuming a stolen credit card was also used.
If a stolen credit card was used and the price didn't matter, then the thief could have booked a revenue ticket instead of an award ticket, thus avoiding the need to hack a BAEC account.

I think that scamming two people for the same booking is a strange strategy. The more people you scam for the same booking, the higher the probability that one of the victims will spot this before the flight's departure, so scamming as few people as possible seems optimal.

I suspect that the thief found that there was insufficient money on the credit card for a revenue booking and so used this method to save some money.

I agree that it sounds as if the OP may have been added to the booking to make it look more credible.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP
They're booking a 2nd passenger to make it look suspicious since she's accompanying you.

What is the routing for PVG-LAX? Nonstop on AA or thru LHR, NRT, or HKG?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alta, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
The logic of this cartoon is a little off (since there are dictionary attacks)
https://xkcd.com/936/
But it's funny and some sites now disallow correcthorsebatterystaple as a valid password as a result.
For information on why the logic of the cartoon is not incorrect, despite the statements of many respected commentators in the security community, and the existence of dictionary attacks see https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/ind...sword_Strength

(As alluded to in the title text of the cartoon: "To anyone who understands information theory and security and is in an infuriating argument with someone who does not (possibly involving mixed case), I sincerely apologize." )
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
What is the routing for PVG-LAX? Nonstop on AA or thru LHR, NRT, or HKG?
PVG-HKG-LAX on CX in Business.

BTW - I contacted the State Department when I thought the guy might have a forged passport. They take that sort of stuff very seriously. Since I have the email of the person who was accompanying the scammer, and, as it seems, the scammer has re-directed the email address to himself, they might have something to go on.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:44 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by colm
logic of the cartoon is not incorrect,
Ok you got me. I should have left off the late night kibitzing and just posted the link. Let's *please* not get into a flame war on who understands information theory and who doesn't

You might guess I'm a big fan of Randall Munroe

Duty Calls
https://xkcd.com/386/

Upgoer5
http://splasho.com/upgoer5/?i=H29gMJ9hMFOcplO3pz9hMlOcovO3nTS0VUEbMKxtLKWyVUA urJyhMljtL2ShVRxtoJSeMFO0nTIgVUAurFO0nTHtpzyanUDtq TucozptLaxtpT9coaEcozptnKDto3I0ClOHnTI5VT1cM2u0VTq yqPOwpz9mplOuozDtp2S5VTWuMPO0nTyhM3ZtqT8toJHtLKZtq 2IfoP4t

Last edited by DeathSlam; Feb 16, 2019 at 3:57 am Reason: Added upgoer 5 link

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.