Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA2158 13 Feb delayed overnight [substandard hotel accommodation at St Lucia]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA2158 13 Feb delayed overnight [substandard hotel accommodation at St Lucia]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
There must have been accommodation issues to have placed people in what looks like a poor Airbnb type of arrangement.

It's much easier for the airline if they placed people in one or just a few places if they could in terms of transport, getting people back to the airport, managing bills etc. so I'd have thought they would put them in a big hotel if they could do so.

Lower cost of individual accommodation like this does not generally justify the extra efforts and other expenses involved in managing the whole effort.

Practically speaking, I guess they can't go around checking the quality of each individual place (they could with a large hotel with lots of rooms but not individual house/apartments), like whether they have appropriate bed arrangement etc. A lot of places that seem perfectly adequate and acceptable in photos and descriptions turn out to be an utter dump when you turn up.

The only thing your friend can do is to complain to BA that the standard of accommodation was inadequate, attaching relevant photos. I wouldn't expect much for it though.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How quaint..... a brothel with cottage style furniture and lace doilies. Not that I've ever been in one mind.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
I have no reason to disbelieve the brothel story, several independent accounts have emerged. No he wasn't booked in the brothel but can confirm what other people said who rejected BA's kind offer and returned to the airport before his delightful digs were arranged. Incidentally he was there for the cricket which had finished by then and hotel rooms had been vacated so presumably would have been available the night of the 13th?
The cricket was scheduled for 9th to 13th. The game may have finished a day early but people would still have had bookings for that period.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:36 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Wow, those pics show what a total dump that place really is. I would not have stayed there for more than a minute, that's for sure. BA should maintain a list of suitable options for such occurrences (of which this really isn't suitable!). The airport floor does indeed look preferable
lhrpete likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
Wow, those pics show what a total dump that place really is. I would not have stayed there for more than a minute, that's for sure. BA should maintain a list of suitable options for such occurrences (of which this really isn't suitable!). The airport floor does indeed look preferable
If local hotels were heavily booked (for reasons already explained) - what would you suggest?

Maintaining a list is one thing, finding places that actually have rooms free is another.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:51 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It doesn’t look like a great position to be in, and presumably once dumped there by the coach/taxi it really would have been a case of like it or lump it, particularly late at night. Practicality says at that stage it would have been at best difficult, at worst near impossible to arrange anything yourself even if you knew that was an option - which many would not. I’m not sure, even with all the knowledge I’ve acquired here, that I’d have found myself any better off than the poor souls who ended up there.

I wonder how much of this is down to BA directly, though. Presumably they are greatly relying on local agents to do the booking, and part of that would be their knowledge of what constituted acceptable accommodation compared to just looking after people at the airport. Maybe their standards are different to many here. The fact that couples were prioritised suggests there was a large shortfall in rooms as well, and I can see that it would be viewed as perfectly sensible not to take up a double room with a single person, leaving two people unhappy at the airport.
HIDDY and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Indeed, the lesson that I long drew was that when this sort of thing happens, you have to take the initiative. You cannot rely on the airline - any airline - to accommodate you. Do you all recall when this people were locked in Venice airport overnight? I gather that the Bicentiale and a Madonna concert had hotels full for miles around. I’m really unsure what one does in these sort of circumstances. Possibly this was all that could be found at short notice. I don’t know. I wasn’t there, and neither for that matter was the OP. What we don’t know either is what BA was charged for staying in a flophouse like that. So often BA pays through the nose for something of quality only for local providers to fob the passengers off with rubbish like that toad running the cafe at Bordeaux Airport. Accepting vouchers and handing out what suited them.

Ultimately, apart from another nice little chat about how dreadful British Airways is, and in the event of only having one side of the story, I will withhold judgement until I know exactly wha transpired.
simons1 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:04 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
It's far too easy to say "take the initiative" - especially from the position of a regular experienced traveller.

Who's to know what position any of those affected are in to do that if assistance is in short supply at the airport at the time. Someone tells you that nothing is available, many will just accept that through conditioning to listen to a figure of authority. They won't want to risk running up large roaming charges by using their mobile phones, or may not have mobile service at all. Rooms are only available at 400 quid a pop, but BA will only refund up to 200 quid a night - what do you do? Do you have the funds or a credit card to take a room and then claim it back later. Some will say that people in this position shouldn't be travelling, and that is dumb as well.

One thing BA CAN do in this situation is prioritise based on need. Make sure that your elderly passengers and those with young families are taken off the airport floor first.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by V10
It's far too easy to say "take the initiative" - especially from the position of a regular experienced traveller.

Who's to know what position any of those affected are in to do that if assistance is in short supply at the airport at the time. Someone tells you that nothing is available, many will just accept that through conditioning to listen to a figure of authority. They won't want to risk running up large roaming charges by using their mobile phones, or may not have mobile service at all. Rooms are only available at 400 quid a pop, but BA will only refund up to 200 quid a night - what do you do? Do you have the funds or a credit card to take a room and then claim it back later. Some will say that people in this position shouldn't be travelling, and that is dumb as well.

One thing BA CAN do in this situation is prioritise based on need. Make sure that your elderly passengers and those with young families are taken off the airport floor first.
What you are highlighting is that when there is large scale IRROPS in a less ideal location there are no easy wins.

If you book nearby accommodation and it is sub-standard then there will be complaints
If you book better accommodation further away then people complain they had to travel 1-2 hours each way
If you ask people to do their own thing then there will also be complaints (we can't afford it, have no telecomms access etc)

But I agree, you should prioritise families and children. You should also not create false expectations about GBP200 per night cap when this is completely unlawful.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:29 am

Doesn't look very nice, but I've slept in worse. Hopefully BA will take some of the pain away with a decent dose of Avios.
HIDDY, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by V10
This part is very true and IMHO neglected by airlines all over the world. Where airlines rely on local agents to provide this service there should always be a central department that can be reached empowered to take action and make bookings when local agents fail. Their telephone number should be sent to passengers along with the flight cancellation message.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:12 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by simons1
If local hotels were heavily booked (for reasons already explained) - what would you suggest?

Maintaining a list is one thing, finding places that actually have rooms free is another.
Well, the list certainly would not include that disgusting dump - there are options there - just further from the airport- that dump would be blacklisted @:-)
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by NoY
Well, the list certainly would not include that disgusting dump - there are options there - just further from the airport- that dump would be blacklisted @:-)
Yes I agree. But the message put out in the media was that hotels were in short supply due to the cricket.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:45 am

The floor looks more comfortable and probably safer.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rapidex
Doesn't look very nice, but I've slept in worse. Hopefully BA will take some of the pain away with a decent dose of Avios.
Seconded on the accommodation. In these circumstances we go into ‘any port in a storm’ mode, and accept that perfection (or our normal expectations) isn’t going to happen. Blame our military mindset, I suppose.
rapidex, missdimeaner and simons1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.