Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA2158 13 Feb delayed overnight [substandard hotel accommodation at St Lucia]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver

Just heard from a friend that they were delayed overnight at UVF due to the aircraft going tech. That in itself isn’t the issue, we all understand these things happen and BA sent a replacement 777 out from LHR this morning. The overnight accommodation is the issue. As they say “the camera doesn’t lie” BA appears to have accommodated passengers overnight in flea ridden home stays rather than hotels. Ive seen the pictures and I know it’s been said before but BA really are plumbing new depths. Sad.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What hotels were available?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
If your mates can make it to the Hilton it’s available and within BA’s pricing guidelines roughly. Or maybe that’s what you call ‘flea ridden accommodation’?

And they will pocket Eur600 each in compo, that will pay for a lot of insect bites’ cream...
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
5 star hotels aren't always available at every airport. Under EU261 all BA has to do is provide accommodation it does not specify a particular class of accommodation.

Of course if YOUR FRIEND has specific issues then THEY should contact BA about those issues rather than you post second hand accounts.
nancypants and thisiskosman like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:47 pm

Without seeing any pictures it all sounds a load of who shot John really.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Oh dear, the usual sarcastic comments from some. He was on his way last night on the replacement aircraft. I saw pictures of the accommodation on his social media account, so it was at best a guest house of a very low standard with worn and dirty bedding. This accommodation having been booked for him by BA. He had no reason prior to arriving st it to believe it would be substandard being a regular BA customer and Silver card holder, though not a BA apologist. He checked out first thing in the morning and paid for a dayroom at a full service hotel. He will obviously be filing a complaint with BA. He hasn’t posted himself as he is not a FT poster and was airborne last night by the time I knew.
i rarely post myself on these hallowed pages after the demise of BMI precisely because of the sarky remarks of others
SK, dodgeflyer, LCY8737 and 10 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Oh dear, the usual sarcastic comments from some. He was on his way last night on the replacement aircraft. I saw pictures of the accommodation on his social media account, so it was at best a guest house of a very low standard with worn and dirty bedding. This accommodation having been booked for him by BA. He had no reason prior to arriving st it to believe it would be substandard being a regular BA customer and Silver card holder, though not a BA apologist. He checked out first thing in the morning and paid for a dayroom at a full service hotel. He will obviously be filing a complaint with BA. He hasn’t posted himself as he is not a FT poster and was airborne last night by the time I knew.
i rarely post myself on these hallowed pages after the demise of BMI precisely because of the sarky remarks of others
So why don't you post a link to the pictures so we can see then and judge for ourselves?

It isn't sarcasm, just that what is considered acceptable by some is considered unacceptable by others, so it is generally best to share the evidence and allow people to draw their own conclusions, rather than try and impose yours. You obviously weren't there, but clearly have some compelling evidence to reach the conclusion that the accommodation was "flea ridden" and that BA was acting unreasonably.

There are also some valid questions up thread - for example what other hotel rooms were available which BA turned aside?

Otherwise none of us have any basis for agreeing or disagreeing.
royng and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:57 am
Original Poster

I will share my friends pics when I have spoken with him and have his permission, not that I know how to IT skills poor! second, as I found out yesterday after the night of the 13th I couldn’t offer him advice at the time nor do I know whether there was other accommodation available or at what cost. I also trust my friends judgement and standards he is no DYKWIA and would have been perfectly content with an adequate 3 star equivalent hotel. When you see the pics I suppose some folk will reckon they’re photoshopped. Sad really what with fake news and all nobody takes anything at face value any more
Silver Fox and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by simons1
It isn't sarcasm..
Not from you, perhaps: but quite a measure of sarcasm within the other replies to the OP's post

So why don't you post a link to the pictures so we can see then and judge for ourselves?
These threads really are at their best when they set themselves up as tribunals.

You obviously weren't there, but clearly have some compelling evidence to reach the conclusion that the accommodation was "flea ridden" and that BA was acting unreasonably.
Hearsay isn't the most compelling evidence, but it makes an interesting story. That's the premise that supports a lot of journalism

...what other hotel rooms were available which BA turned aside?
It's unreasonable to expect the OP to become an investigative reporter.

But fair enough to raise the possible lack of suitable alternative accommodation: though, of course, that's simple conjecture.

PS UVF is one of those non-intuitive codes I'm hazy about. To save the Googling fingers of others in my position, it's Saint Lucia.
LCY8737, NoY, Silver Fox and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... nor do I know whether there was other accommodation available or at what cost.
Nevertheless, despite not knowing whether this was the genuinely the best that BA could do, you decided to start a thread implicitly slamming BA. Nice!
PUCCI GALORE, nancypants and bzc like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think part of the issue may be that there's nothing really next to the UVF airport - nicer hotels are an hour or more from the airport. I'd go for Hotel Chocolat though
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:26 am

A quick look on Twitter shows that BA has really screwed people over here. People sleeping on the floor, and an allegation that single travellers were refused hotel rooms (talk about BA giving out Valentine's day surprises).

Pictures duly included.
NoY, Silver Fox and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:34 am

I will share my friends pics when I have spoken with him and have his permission, not that I know how to IT skills poor! second, as I found out yesterday after the night of the 13th I couldn’t offer him advice at the time nor do I know whether there was other accommodation available or at what cost. I also trust my friends judgement and standards he is no DYKWIA and would have been perfectly content with an adequate 3 star equivalent hotel. When you see the pics I suppose some folk will reckon they’re photoshopped. Sad really what with fake news and all nobody takes anything at face value any more
Indeed, but in several years on this forum I have seen terms like "flea ridden home" used with a healthy dose of exaggeration.

I'm not suggesting this is the case here but I am able to look at pics and reach my own conclusion.....
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I've checked out Twitter and indeed there are now multiple accounts and a number of very angry passengers with pictures. The Sun and the Daily Mail have also asked permission to use the pictures for online articles, so I expect BA to get grief from that angle too.

UVF is difficult to get good accommodation close to the airport, but given that this was such a long delay, I think they should have looked a little farther away too.
Silver Fox and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Some were offered accommodation, which turned out to be a brothel.
Wow, BA going above and beyond in their duty of care! Were the pax issued vouchers for services?
SK, DYKWIA, adrianlondon and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.