Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 100 [Valentine's Day surprise]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:03 pm

Can we please not be so jaded and cynical... and just enjoy this for what it is - a truly lovely gesture for those who got the upgrade.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
I prefer this video to the BA100 flight ad, at least it seems more genuine.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:05 am

Well I enjoyed watching it. What a lovely idea and very moving and it certainly gave me a warm fuzzy feeling on this misty Friday morning. Those that got it that truly were surprised will no doubt remember it forever.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Why the negativity?! I thought it was nice and the folk seemed genuine
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I was just saying to my wife this morning, that these people would most likely have been blown away by First. Outside of the bubble of FT most people probably think of economy as how everyone flies, apart from bankers and pop-stars. To experience what's in front of the curtain would have been a great experience for them. I doubt they'd have complained about portion sizes of pre-departure champagne, or that they didn't get offered a chocolate after their dinner.
Muttley likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
So to be clear I have nothing against anyone that was upgraded, what a lovely surprise for them and there is nothing nicer for crew then to look after someone who is genuinely excited to be there.
But let’s be honest this is a publicity stunt and BA want it to make the biggest impact possible.
So BA filmed this over 3 days so it wasn’t as if they were desperate to find enough customers who deserved an upgrade, my point is other than the couple who had lost there parents which I found genuinely moving the rest of the people chosen had no memorable story.

Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
So BA filmed this over 3 days so it wasn’t as if they were desperate to find enough customers who deserved an upgrade, my point is other than the couple who had lost there parents which I found genuinely moving the rest of the people chosen had no memorable story.
Surely they didn't ask the check-in staff to grill people for a sob story and decide if they are deserving enough!
- Parents just died? Great, you're in 4E. Do you know where our lounges are?
- Terminally ill uncle who you care very much about? Sorry, that's not gonna cut it, you're in 41E, have a nice flight.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Oh yes they did, check in staff were asked to find out why customers were travelling by chatting with them, if they felt that they might be suitable they were sent to other desks where they were filmed and it was decided if they were suitable.
wrp96 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
So to be clear I have nothing against anyone that was upgraded, what a lovely surprise for them and there is nothing nicer for crew then to look after someone who is genuinely excited to be there.
But let’s be honest this is a publicity stunt and BA want it to make the biggest impact possible.

Plus the possibility that those upgraded will be sucked into the premium travel game as I was after being op-upped 10 years ago on a work trip back from Tokyo. Once you have experienced a premium cabin there is no going back.
yellow_peril and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:25 am

Oh yes they did, check in staff were asked to find out why customers were travelling by chatting with them, if they felt that they might be suitable they were sent to other desks where they were filmed and it was decided if they were suitable.
Well I hope they conducted that with slightly more decorum than my tongue-in-cheek examples!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And that seems sensible to me otherwise you'll get things like:

LovelyBubblyAgent: "And so Mr. CWS since it's a very special event for us, we are upgrading you to the FIRST CLASS CABIN!!!! He's your boarding pass"
CWS: "Oh, OK, yet another upgrade. Um, but it's 4E, you don't have a window seat do you?"
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GGL
Despite the general cynicism here, note the absence of any First class product thereafter? Yes it's a promotion, it's an advert, but it's more part of the PR machine to rebuke the increasing notion that BA doesn't give a .... (about its staff, its plane cleanliness, or anything, really - see 75% of FT threads, lol).

For me it works; it's successful. It's a nice, genuine film that doesn't lob in First product promo and lounges, but focuses on a real cross-section of customers.

[And the grandparent deaths wasn't expected IMO, the check-in agent did query if it was a holiday, which, obviously, it wasn't. ]
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Great on BA to be delighting these passengers, and I feel 100 upgrades is the perfect number. 25 upgrades per day for 4 days can easily be absorbed without the regulars feeling their loyalty devalued.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Great initiative and TBH I have never been upgraded since becoming Gold but I would not see this initiative as "devaluing" my loyalty, it's just a different kind of marketing. As a company you need to balance lifetime value from existing customers with acquisition and upselling. It makes complete sense to me that upgrading random WT chaps to J or F will most likely represent for them the trip of a lifetime, which comes with a huge word of mouth amplification effect which far surpasses the odd, grumpy GGL for 7 lives that has to pay for his F seat. We all know the latter will keep flying BA anyway...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Great on BA to be delighting these passengers, and I feel 100 upgrades is the perfect number. 25 upgrades per day for 4 days can easily be absorbed without the regulars feeling their loyalty devalued.
Even better they could spread the 100 Upgrades across the entire year. One every third day. Make a big deal out of the fact by email campaigns. Have people register for a lucky draw... etc etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.