FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   How to get priority boarding (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1956245-how-get-priority-boarding.html)

Vasco Pridat Feb 14, 2019 5:07 am

How to get priority boarding

A new one for me...
Arriving from Capetown in F and connecting in LHR to Athens .. The call was.. We have a full flight, if you want to check your hand luggage for free you will get priority boarding.. And swoosh .
Half the plane was ahead of group one.
Everyone was pretty upset but we got some smiles from the smart folks strolling down the escalator.
Well done BA

benjai Feb 14, 2019 5:14 am

Must have been loads of carpet bags...

Takiteasy Feb 14, 2019 5:14 am

Did most of these ‘Group zero’ guys check in carpet bags, which they promptly abandoned on the luggage belt at ATH?

caz312 Feb 14, 2019 5:25 am

probably best adding to the current thread - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-zero-etc.html

Worcester Feb 14, 2019 10:04 am

I wish my life was so calm and uneventful that a few people getting on board ahead of me was enough to upset me...

camdentown Feb 14, 2019 10:46 am

I think BA seem to be getting this consistently wrong. Comparing with AA, who's staff will go out and proactively ask people if they will gate check their bags, and if they agree, the staff do it on the spot, often carrying the bag for the customer. There is no chance that the PAX will get earlier boarding as a result. This is a sensible way of doing it, I'd say, the passenger gets a treat by getting their bag checked for free, what's more to want?
BA are crazy to reward HBO passengers not only by giving them a free bag check, but ALSO crazily letting them board first - the whole point of HBO is to make it hard and unattractive !

ttama Feb 14, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 30778172)
I wish my life was so calm and uneventful that a few people getting on board ahead of me was enough to upset me...

This is an example of the kind of post that puts me off this forum. It's hard to imagine what type of person this is.

SHT88T Feb 14, 2019 12:20 pm

It seems a bit counter intuiative giving HBO customers a free checked bag and allowing them to board first.

Perhaps a better approach would be to board the premium cabins and higher status flyers first then make the announcement offering free checked bag.

Globaliser Feb 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ttama (Post 30778610)

This is an example of the kind of post that puts me off this forum. It's hard to imagine what type of person this is.

Until I started reading FT, I too found it hard to imagine what type of person would get upset if a few people boarded ahead of them.

hypercrypt Feb 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by SHT88T (Post 30778790)
It seems a bit counter intuiative giving HBO customers a free checked bag and allowing them to board first.

Not sure I agree (from the airline's perspective)

The people that have no luggage for the overhead bin will be able to sit down almost straight away, having them board first means fewer people standing in the aisle waiting for people to sort the overhead bins, so should (in theory) speed up boarding, no?

CoweyB Feb 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by SHT88T (Post 30778790)

Perhaps a better approach would be to board the premium cabins and higher status flyers first then make the announcement offering free checked bag.

I agree - maybe it’s time for a new Band 3.5?

That said, without amended boarding cards the only practical time to board them is before Band 1 I suppose

jamesreid978 Feb 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Surely the advantage of boarding early is so you can get your bag in the overhead locker next to your seat? The people boarding because they have gate checked their bags and therefore won’t be taking up this space. Win win surely? You get to spend less time on an uncomfortable aircraft and there is more room for your bag?

Vasco Pridat Feb 14, 2019 11:53 pm

Oh Worcester.. I am sorry to hear that. Please accept my sincere condolences for the struggles of your life. No where did I want to sound to have a better life than you.
But your thread opened my eyes and made me realize . F*** HE IS RIGHT. .
So I thank God that this is pretty much my only problem that upsets me .. And.. Well all the people that were standing around me. 😇

Vasco Pridat Feb 15, 2019 12:03 am

Originally Posted by hypercrypt (Post 30779541)

Not sure I agree (from the airline's perspective)

The people that have no luggage for the overhead bin will be able to sit down almost straight away, having them board first means fewer people standing in the aisle waiting for people to sort the overhead bins, so should (in theory) speed up boarding, no?

I think those proposals don't work.

Tha AA version works with the staff walking around.
But those about 50 people that dropped their luggage now still had tremendous amounts of bags and backpacks they now put in the overhead bins.
So they weren't 'clean' just cuz they checked one large suitcase.
BUT the whole progress can be very easy.. Keep it lake now. Have them go through Check their bags and sit down behind the staff as they did now.
But when you start boarding.. Just let them sit there and wait till the boarding is done?
From the way the staff calls for the luggage tho it sounds like it is to lure people in checking the luggage .. Most people don't want their bags taken.. For time at the belt.
So the policy is.. Come, come.. You get priority boarding...

Takiteasy Feb 15, 2019 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat (Post 30780933)
I think those proposals don't work.

Tha AA version works with the staff walking around.
But those about 50 people that dropped their luggage now still had tremendous amounts of bags and backpacks they now put in the overhead bins.
So they weren't 'clean' just cuz they checked one large suitcase.
BUT the whole progress can be very easy.. Keep it lake now. Have them go through Check their bags and sit down behind the staff as they did now.
But when you start boarding.. Just let them sit there and wait till the boarding is done?
From the way the staff calls for the luggage tho it sounds like it is to lure people in checking the luggage .. Most people don't want their bags taken.. For time at the belt.
So the policy is.. Come, come.. You get priority boarding...

From your perspective, was the issue the principle that lots of people boarded ahead of yourself (Group 1), or that such people clogged up the overheads such that you could not put your hand luggage above your seat?