Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best OW Route London/Australia Rtn in Economy

Best OW Route London/Australia Rtn in Economy

Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by dddc
I suppose that is an upside, clearing customs at the first Australian port. I've always hated the change at SYD to/from International and Domestic terminals because of having to wait for the Qantas transfer bus. Is Perth any easier?
Far easier. To begin with, you don't have the Int and Dom terminals miles from each other. Although if you are using one of the LCCs for the domestic leg, you do have a bus trip. Otherwise it's a 5 min walk between terminals.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jon Baker
Probably a little late for your hubby now, but for anyone else using this thread as a guide in the future, the additional lounge time is a good idea and allows for freshening up, however in my experience the Y seating on a QF A330 feels far more cramped than their A380.
Will report back what hubby thinks of Y seats on QF A332 - SIN - SYD return. The reason for choosing these was to give him some time in the lounge to freshen up after a 14 hours flight or before it. He found doing this with CX via HKG in January helped a bit.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I second the Qatar A380 option. By far the most civilised way to do this, especially in the protected upper deck environment. Just don’t put your head around the curtain at the front to check out the bar - it’ll only depress you!

I would strongly avoid anything 787 shaped, if you’re in Y, regardless of journey length or destination. It is simply horrible. I’d also give a Qantas A330 a wide berth. I flew one last year in Y between BKK and SYD in what was supposedly one of the best seats. Also terrible; didn’t sleep a wink. Limited leg room due to underseat IFE boxes, narrow, and with strangely intrusive recline by the seat in front, as others have mentioned.
masmadrid likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
I second the Qatar A380 option. By far the most civilised way to do this, especially in the protected upper deck environment. Just don’t put your head around the curtain at the front to check out the bar - it’ll only depress you!

I would strongly avoid anything 787 shaped, if you’re in Y, regardless of journey length or destination. It is simply horrible. I’d also give a Qantas A330 a wide berth. I flew one last year in Y between BKK and SYD in what was supposedly one of the best seats. Also terrible; didn’t sleep a wink. Limited leg room due to underseat IFE boxes, narrow, and with strangely intrusive recline by the seat in front, as others have mentioned.
What didn’t you like about the Dreamliner? Too narrow?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Does anyone have experience of how often WT+ UuA opens up on this route? I have none, but I'm guessing it's not very likely.
I do it quite often and have upgraded once in 5 years
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Not surprised no one else has mentioned it, but for completeness of Oneworld possibilities there's AA via LAX with the possibility of MCE?
likethis likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Why the 4am wake up time? To make it to Heathrow or just to help acclimatise?

I've taken CX252 before and the only annoying thing for me was having to fight with the morning commuters on the tube for the first half of the journey.

I've taken CX354 from Gatwick before (same departure time), and about to do it again this week. Last time I stayed in a hotel overnight because it was in the middle of a 2 day rail strike. Staying in a hotel again as I got an amazing Ł35 deal at the Premier inn. Don't plan to get up til around 7, breakfast around 8, and check in at 9ish. Going to BNE and arrival is 11.20pm so no probs getting to sleep when we land!! Just got nearly 6 hours to kill at the Premium Plaza lounge at HKG to try not to sleep too much in!
For me, it's to get to Heathrow - I live out in the West country
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
Not surprised no one else has mentioned it, but for completeness of Oneworld possibilities there's AA via LAX with the possibility of MCE?
As a once upon a time AA Exec Plat, trust me I have looked at that route - they don't price it competitively. I've done some random dates and booking it on one ticket came to Ł4,000. Trying to split it at LAX came to Ł1.5k best price. When I've tried to redeem AA points to Australia, it routes me on Finnair, JAL, Cathay, QF and BA, never via the US.

I'm guessing UK-USA and USA-Australia isn't as competitive as the UK-(Asia/Middle East)-Australia routing, so they don't need to price competitively. It's a shame because, despite the longer flight and the pain of having to clear US customs at some point, I think some people would consider it.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
For me, it's to get to Heathrow - I live out in the West country
OMG. I'm getting a room at LGW for my 11am flight on CX and I only live in zone 2. That isn't a relaxing way to start a journey, but if the objective is to tire yourself out so you can sleep onboard, I'm sure it works. The risk of some rail delay must be a worry though!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
My partner did it for a leisure trip to Auckland a few years ago, the pain with this route is coming back you have a long (>7 hours) layover a LAX, so it's not a time-efficient route, and it is very rarely keenly priced, generally the Pacific flights are full and expensive from either US or Aus direction. And now that AA are adding Premium Economy to their long-haul fleet the chance of getting MCE on your flight is diminishing, unfortunately.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
OMG. I'm getting a room at LGW for my 11am flight on CX and I only live in zone 2. That isn't a relaxing way to start a journey, but if the objective is to tire yourself out so you can sleep onboard, I'm sure it works. The risk of some rail delay must be a worry though!
I drive, so chancing the rail network isn't a problem.

I'd rather spend another night at home with the family than an unnecessary hotel stop - but horses for courses!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by A1pax
Will report back what hubby thinks of Y seats on QF A332 - SIN - SYD return. The reason for choosing these was to give him some time in the lounge to freshen up after a 14 hours flight or before it. He found doing this with CX via HKG in January helped a bit.
Update: Hubby said the Y seats on QF A380 (LHR-SIN-LHR) on the aisle in the middle section were OK 3-4-3. No one next to him LHR-SIN, but someone SIN-LHR. Y seats on QF A332 (window - 2-3-2) were OK but the air was not good compared to A380 and he ended up with a headache. Aisle seats next to him were occupied SIN-SYD-SIN. However, he said the window seats on QF A332 were roomier than on CX B777 - because they densified it so not much room in any seat Reason why he preferred different flights (not necessary planes) so he could go to the lounge to freshen up and stretch legs before the next flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.