Community
Wiki Posts
Search

54000 Miles For Reserving Three Seats???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

54000 Miles For Reserving Three Seats???

Are you guys sure drugs are not legal in the UK yet? Because BA sure is doing some if they think that is reasonable for Executive Club Business Class Passengers. Seat selection is free 24 hours before but I am not sure any good seats were left. I am seriously considering switching my ticket to Lufthansa. I am flying from Seattle to London in a Super Hi J 747. What are the chances of getting 2 Window seats and one aisle seat in one row 24 hours before departure? Something tells me not very high
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No one is forcing you to pay - either in cash or miles - to select seats. If you are willing to take pot luck at OLCI then go for it.

ba charging non status passengers for seat selection is not new.

being able to pay with avios is a recent development as people had been asking for the ability to use avios.

Whether the miles required is good value is a totally different question.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
BA debundle seat selection. Bronze and above get it earlier than non status passengers as a benefit of status. It's their commercial choice and presumably drives loyalty for status holders offsetting the loss of people it irritates. It's not hard to get bronze (72 hour selection I think), basically one long haul J trip plus a couple of short hauls.

Fly Lufthansa by all means if you're flexible enough to switch and the fare is better.

I wouldn't burn avios to select seats personally, I'd pay the cash.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
LH doesn't fly the route, so you will have to fly all the way to FRA and then connect back to LHR. The FRA-LHR will be in European J which is Y with the middle seat blocked.

If that is a better value and use of your time than CW on BA, by all means.
stewaran and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
BA debundle seat selection. Bronze and above get it earlier than non status passengers as a benefit of status. It's their commercial choice and presumably drives loyalty for status holders offsetting the loss of people it irritates. It's not hard to get bronze (72 hour selection I think),
Bronze is 7 days in advance.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
If you don't fancy LH then I think Condor do. That could be interesting!! 😋 All routing via FRA or MUC I suspect ofcourse and then take your pick back to UK.🙄 Maybe best stick with BA.

Last edited by nivsy; Feb 14, 2019 at 12:56 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Speedbird48
I am flying from Seattle to London in a Super Hi J 747. What are the chances of getting 2 Window seats and one aisle seat in one row 24 hours before departure? Something tells me not very high
Do you have AA status? Such as AA Gold? That will do for 7 days selection. Or any oneworld status will do here. Some tickets and ticketing channels do come with seat selection included. As to the likelihood, that is difficult to guess without a date, Upper deck has 4 seats across so there would be someone in the middle, main deck has 2 window, 4 aisle seats per row, so in theory more likely. Given the reverse seating at the window it would seem more likely to get a window+aisle in one row, and a window seat aft or fore of that, so over 2 rows.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Do you have AA status? Such as AA Gold? That will do for 7 days selection. Or any oneworld status will do here. Some tickets and ticketing channels do come with seat selection included. As to the likelihood, that is difficult to guess without a date, Upper deck has 4 seats across so there would be someone in the middle, main deck has 2 window, 4 aisle seats per row, so in theory more likely. Given the reverse seating at the window it would seem more likely to get a window+aisle in one row, and a window seat aft or fore of that, so over 2 rows.
I sadly do not. The only status I have is BA Blue. Date is March 26th
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Are you guys sure drugs are not legal in the UK yet? Because BA sure is doing some if they think that is reasonable for Executive Club Business Class Passengers. Seat selection is free 24 hours before but I am not sure any good seats were left. I am seriously considering switching my ticket to Lufthansa. I am flying from Seattle to London in a Super Hi J 747. What are the chances of getting 2 Window seats and one aisle seat in one row 24 hours before departure? Something tells me not very high
I would say that it’s is very unlikely as the seating you want would have to be on the upper deck, well unless you want 5 seats between you on the main deck.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you

I would say that it’s is very unlikely as the seating you want would have to be on the upper deck, well unless you want 5 seats between you on the main deck.
Upper deck is gone already. I'm talking about rows A-B-D or D-J-K. It's pretty unlikely to get people to swap seats with you with BA I assume considering the wildly inconsistent hard product in the airplanes
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Upper deck is gone already. I'm talking about rows A-B-D or D-J-K. It's pretty unlikely to get people to swap seats with you with BA I assume considering the wildly inconsistent hard product in the airplanes
Actually the seat is probably the most consistent product!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:48 am

People may well have paid in Avios or cash to sit in the seats they're assigned. For any avoidance of doubt, it is not a good idea to start reorganising the cabin and asking people to swap when you get on board just so you can get the seats you want. Either pony up the fee if its important to you or take your chance with online check-in if it isn't. The paid for seat assignment policy isn't exactly new, it has been in place for the last 10-12yrs. That said, the fee is only applied to redemption tickets and the lower fare bands. If you purchase a J or C fare band ticket (fully flex usually) then seat assignment in bundled in to the price.
hessbo likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Feb 21, 2019 at 12:55 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: GGL
Upper deck is gone already
You probably can't see all available seats, the current position on the BA48 on March 26th is:

Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bisonrav
BA debundle seat selection.
I'll have to remember that piece of marketing spin, "debundle" = "grab wads of cash". Excellent!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
so that’s not actually two windows and an aisle but one window plus two aisles. Sea is a relatively high status route and being a night flight all windows may well have gone by t-24 and more broadly chances of what getting what you want without paying are not very high (I’d say <50%).

up to you whether you risk it, pay, or indeed switch to another airline though your ticket is presumably not full fare or you’d have seat selection so cancelling may be impossible or very expensive.
Oaxaca likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.