Screen etiquette - should I be offended?

Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
If everyone has the right to put the screen up or down what happens then if one person puts it up and a second later the other person puts it down again. Obviously there needs to be a negotiated settlement. Also, what happens if you are polite and ask and the other person says no?
It’d be like the window shades all over again
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
If everyone has the right to put the screen up or down what happens then if one person puts it up and a second later the other person puts it down again. Obviously there needs to be a negotiated settlement. Also, what happens if you are polite and ask and the other person says no?
Halfway? With 👀 throwing considerable shade just in view.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo
I am most often in J for work and so I am invariably going to be sitting facing either a complete stranger or a colleague, both of whom I am likely to want to avoid close-quarters small talk with!

I usually wait until after the safety video and then go for the button.

I have had a couple of awkward screen-button-related moments.... one time we went for the button at the same time and it was like a privacy duel! (I won ;-)).

Another time the egg was on the face of the other person who, arriving at their seat after me and clearly annoyed they were in the aisle with I in the window seat, proceeded to angrily slam on the button to raise the divider.... the issue was that our divider was not one of the good ones and it dropped back down with a thump every time. This didn't dissuade my dear seat neighbour from trying a number of times over the space of 20 minutes ..... seriously awkward how much he wanted that screen up - to no avail
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by A406toHeathrow
I am most often in J for work and so I am invariably going to be sitting facing either a complete stranger or a colleague, both of whom I am likely to want to avoid close-quarters small talk with!

I usually wait until after the safety video and then go for the button.

I have had a couple of awkward screen-button-related moments.... one time we went for the button at the same time and it was like a privacy duel! (I won ;-)).

Another time the egg was on the face of the other person who, arriving at their seat after me and clearly annoyed they were in the aisle with I in the window seat, proceeded to angrily slam on the button to raise the divider.... the issue was that our divider was not one of the good ones and it dropped back down with a thump every time. This didn't dissuade my dear seat neighbour from trying a number of times over the space of 20 minutes ..... seriously awkward how much he wanted that screen up - to no avail
You should have blown him a kiss
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
You should have blown him a kiss
I had to use my book to disguise my laughter! Especially as I know those dodgy screens can usually be fixed by a little bit of careful man-handling (I didn't let him into that secret though)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
My last flight where the screen didn't work ended up slightly awkward, for me at least, as the gent sat facing me spent a good part of the flight blubbing uncontrollably at whatever he was watching on the IFE.

The 8000 avios was well earned in this case
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:22 pm

I think there is a legacy behavior at work here on the poster's part. When you were in close quarters with someone for a number of hours, you did a brief social interaction to not be rude and to make both persons a little more comfortable if you needed to ask a minor favor of the other. Now that international first class is effectively isolation pods, the behavior doesn't seem to make sense.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I recall having a whispered disagreement with MrD whilst seated in an aisle seat UD. It gave me great pleasure to raise the screen while he was mid sentence .
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I recall having a whispered disagreement with MrD whilst seated in an aisle seat UD. It gave me great pleasure to raise the screen while he was mid sentence .
Screens....One does not need marraige counselors !
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kaka
it is utterly selfish for the person to put up the screen when it would compromise the safety of the other passengers
If the screen can stay up all the time, it would have been designed that way
Not so much selfish as dangerous - but the passenger can't really know when is or is not dangerous (as nothing is said) while the crew know and should have enforced it.

That said, CIHY on this thread as other resident crew members on others confirmed that the only time the screen is considered to endanger passengers' safety is during the safety demonstration when crew show where the exits are and explain about floor lighting. The moment the safety demonstration is over the privacy screen is considered fully safe to raise and so till disembarkation.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Not so much selfish as dangerous - but the passenger can't really know when is or is not dangerous (as nothing is said) while the crew know and should have enforced it.

That said, CIHY on this thread as other resident crew members on others confirmed that the only time the screen is considered to endanger passengers' safety is during the safety demonstration when crew show where the exits are and explain about floor lighting. The moment the safety demonstration is over the privacy screen is considered fully safe to raise and so till disembarkation.
I wonder if BA would say that publically ? Doubtthat. I can imagine a twisted upright screen impeding a hurried emergency evacuation.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There are many things that could impede and evacuation but the screens are made of strips of plastic and wouldn’t in my opinion cause a problem.
orbitmic and Soupdragon62 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HMPS
I wonder if BA would say that publically ? Doubtthat. I can imagine a twisted upright screen impeding a hurried emergency evacuation.
I think that there is a pretty strong chance that particular procedure will have been very openly discussed with (and validated by) the CAA. Like CIHY, I suspect that of all the things that are allowed that could potentially make an emergency evacuation slower and more difficult, this one would be very low down the list.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think that there is a pretty strong chance that particular procedure will have been very openly discussed with (and validated by) the CAA. Like CIHY, I suspect that of all the things that are allowed that could potentially make an emergency evacuation slower and more difficult, this one would be very low down the list.
IMO headphone cables are genuinely dodgy, especially thicker ones. If you get that wrapped around your ankle or your body, it's very hard to escape in a panic when you might not be thinking clearly. IMO it's far more dodgy than the screen (maybe with the exception of the F one which is more solid, but they aren't placed where it might impede evacuation).

I've just realised we've somehow drifted from the divider screen etiquette to headphone cables
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Screen etiquette? Try flying down the back in Y or sometimes WTP like I do and the armrest etiquette is far more stressful like who gets to use it.
HIDDY, LTN Phobia, HMPS and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.