Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Screen etiquette - should I be offended?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by XLB
In an ideal world, the screen would be permanently fixed in the 'up' position.
In an ideal world, where it doesn’t require understanding of unwritten protocols of etiquette or engagement in psychological warfare to be able to enjoy the CW experience, the screen would be ‘a wall’.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by acucobol
My last A380 flight the up mechanism was disengaged until seat belt sign was switched off whilst airborne.
Every attempt to get it to stay up after the safety video failed, which I found quite annoying.
you would appreciate this when you have an emergency landing and can get out quick. just like how you can't charge your phone before cruise level.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed.
I'm with the OP here. While I agree privacy in J is important manners should dictate no individual takes control of the screen without saying something to the person on the other side first. Seems like a mixture of 'frequent flyer' bravado and someone lacking in social skills....in other words a bit of an arse. Not worth worrying about.
i agree for a different reason. BA should make the heightening of the screens an "'and' gate", with passenger of both side to agree and a safety switch in order to get the screen up.

Last edited by kaka; Feb 14, 2019 at 1:14 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
In an ideal world, where it doesn’t require understanding of unwritten protocols of etiquette or engagement in psychological warfare to be able to enjoy the CW experience, the screen would be ‘a wall’.
In an ideal world, where it doesn’t require understanding of unwritten protocols of etiquette or engagement in psychological warfare to be able to enjoy the CW experience, the screen would go up after mentally consulting both person.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
My screen will go up rather early on, for exactly the same reason you have mentioned. It might be a GCH bragging about how he gets special treatment (ref. DYKWIA thread)! ��

While I do say something like "Would you mind if I put the divider up?" before doing so, I would not expect a "no" without a good reason. (They will get a very sympathetic response if they are claustrophobic or otherwise have a good reason and said no though, as I am still just about functional as a human being, although it's a bit borderline! Saying that, no-one has ever been reluctant to say "sure" etc.)

Saying that, a friend of mine reports that he did not put the screen up at all even though he had fully intended to put it up immediately, when an extremely attractive female sat down next to him and started talking to him and wouldn't shut up. Normally he'd cut them off but he couldn't bring himself to doing so
if someone asks me, i would say i do mind just to wind that person up "not until we are in cruise level, for safety reasons"
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Exactly. I don't know what this 'etiquette guide' is? Maybe something else to be carried in your hand luggage when travelling on BA together with 2 changes of clothes, cleaning materials, handy list of local hotels for IRROPS, mini toolkit for minor repairs etc

In practice I have no interest in engaging with other travellers. If my divider raises, I raise it. If my seat reclines, I recline it. No need for discussion/debate etc. If dividers were designed not to raise, or seats not to recline, then they would be manufactured accordingly.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I notice that social skills are very much on the wain these days. I've had the most interesting conversations with total strangers - just by smiling and saying "Good Evening". Equally, I am not offended in the least, or even bothered if people want to be left alone. I have initiated this once faced with some individual who chewed gum the whole time until we were airbourne. He was still chewing when we came into land and I wondered if it was the same piece of gum.

I prefer to sit with Him Indoors at one of the window seats as he is, oddly enough, mildly claustrophobic and likes to look out of the window. If he raised the screen on me, I would have him sent back to WT+ and commence divorce proceedings on arrival. I would never do that to him as I have long since learnt to ignore elephants in the room.

Dear OP, these people are not worth giving a second thought about. Most of us have seen better days and rely on Lancome and Bobbi Brown to keep us presentable.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
BA should make the heightening of the screens an "'and' gate", with passenger of both side to agree and a safety switch in order to get the screen up.
I disagree.

The CW screen is primarily a privacy feature and so - in my opinion - either passenger should be able to raise it if they wish to do so. In fact, I would suggest that it is the lowering of the screen that should have to be agreed to by both passengers.

I do, however, agree that one should be polite and considerate to the other passenger when raising the screen.
HIDDY, choosethedrew and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Misco60
I disagree.

The CW screen is primarily a privacy feature and so - in my opinion - either passenger should be able to raise it if they wish to do so. In fact, I would suggest that it is the lowering of the screen that should have to be agreed to by both passengers.

I do, however, agree that one should be polite and considerate to the other passenger when raising the screen.
I agree the lowering is far more offensive than the raising of it.
offtothehills and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Speedbird48
Quite sad really. Shows the state of the world we live in.
Or not... many people on here enjoy interaction with others, some, I know for a fact, extensively so. It doesn't mean that you want such interaction at any time, just like enjoying looking at views does not mean that you will spend the entire crossing of the Pacific looking out the window or that enjoying sleeping means you don't also enjoy being awake. It follows that different people use an airline seat in different "ways", appropriate the space in different manners. In my case, when flying J or F, if I were to equate my airline seat to a room in the flat, it would be the bedroom. I change into my pyjamas before having to wear my seat belt, I recline the second I am allowed to, and I look forward to it as a time in a bubble - often in fact the only one when I am not constantly interacting with others having typically been at work and with people both before and after. And as much as I can enjoy a nice conversation with others, it is not something I'd consider when I am in my pyjamas and in my "bedroom".

The second point is that there is interaction and interaction. I would be more likely to share your view if the alternative to the screen up was a conversation with someone, but this is neither typically the case, nor what the space is set up for. In fact, when you are in taxiing/take off/landing mode, the CW seats are absolutely not conducive to having a discussion even if you wanted to. You are actually quite far away from the other person, and your head is not actually by the screen gap but behind it by the "fixed wall" part, with the other person's head by the other fixed wall the other side of the screen gap. Additionally, as mentioned by others, we have a nice natural experiment here because on an A380, you can't typically raise the privacy screen till you reach 10,000 ft. In my experience, in 95% of the cases, the person across is not seeking eye contact in those cases let alone chatting so all is left is people "avoiding" looking like they are just staring at the other or spying on what they are writing/reading/doing with their fingers etc. A rather limited interaction.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
I can understand people who put the screen up if they prefer to have privacy from the moment they board or for whatever reason - that's a personal preference that is not really open to be challenged or questioned. I do find it slightly odd however when people, who would ordinarily not raise the screen, start raising it after they board as some kind of preventative measure due to one or two motormouth experiences in the past. Personally I would have it lowered and not hesitate to raise it as soon as I come to the conclusion that I don't want to be subject to the jabbering or visuals of the person facing me. I certainly would not allow one or two adverse experiences to affect change my screen positioning preference. Of course there are those who may have no preference either way and simply raise it to avoid any interaction which is fair enough.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:03 am

Seems like normal behavior to me
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If everyone has the right to put the screen up or down what happens then if one person puts it up and a second later the other person puts it down again. Obviously there needs to be a negotiated settlement. Also, what happens if you are polite and ask and the other person says no?
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Did he seek eye contact first and then put the screen up? Perhaps maintaining eye contact whilst doing so? That might be a little rude
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Plus with BA setup, where adjacent seats passenger faces you, compared to an airline where fliers all face forwards, I am far more ready/likely to raise the privacy screen
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Misco60
I disagree.

it is utterly selfish for the person to put up the screen when it would compromise the safety of the other passengers

If the screen can stay up all the time, it would have been designed that way
HMPS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.