Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Screen etiquette - should I be offended?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:11 pm
XLB
Suspended

Programs: BA, QR, LH
In an ideal world, the screen would be permanently fixed in the 'up' position.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Normal bar the safety demo bit.

My routine would be something like:

1) arrive, settle in, pull tv screen, take newspaper, smile, say hello at the other person, and start reading
2) ignore the infuriating safety video which I know by heart (go on, quiz me), check emergency exit locations (I know them too but still) unless i'm sat at one in which case I rehearsed the opening instructions before the video even started. Look at crew when Lumley says: 'pointed out to you by our gorgeous cabin crew etc'.
3) the moment Colman says: 'and now the reason why this is so close to our hearts...': push video screen closed, raise privacy screen, enjoy the planes taxiing by out of my window...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:29 pm

I understand and empathize with people wanting privacy, but some people here are acting like they are afraid of human interaction. Quite sad really. Shows the state of the world we live in. It sure is an inconvenience if you cannot get the privacy screen up, but talking with another human being is not the end of the world. I also don't appreciate the amount of condescension you are being showed in this thread. My opinion is that it was a bit of a rude way to handle the situation, but that there are far worse ways this could have been handled
SK, HIDDY, sarahuk and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Another reason to fly AA or CX. You don't have to agonise over screen etiquette ��

I wait until after the safety briefing or shortly after take off and then put it up. However I don't think there's any need to stare at your neighbour. I'm usually far too pre-occupied looking at my entertainment screen, my book/paper or out of the window to notice my neighbour.
kaka and flygirl68 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Very intriguing responses!

Must admit my priorities on a flight are getting the things I need for journey out of my hand luggage, putting hand luggage in the nearest locker, putting the bedding away where can get to it easily, making sure I have my glasses, getting comfy, making sure seat and seatbelt work OK, wondering where the champagne is then I might think about whether to raise the screen or not (and usually that would be after take off).

Honestly I have no problem with the screen going up fairly quickly (as I'm quite shy and not good with people I don't know) just not before the person actually reaches their seat!

Unless the person sitting adjacent sneezes or coughs - then it's an entirely different matter
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Karen762
Very intriguing responses!

Must admit my priorities on a flight are getting the things I need for journey out of my hand luggage, putting hand luggage in the nearest locker, putting the bedding away where can get to it easily, making sure I have my glasses, getting comfy, making sure seat and seatbelt work OK, wondering where the champagne is then I might think about whether to raise the screen or not (and usually that would be after take off).

Honestly I have no problem with the screen going up fairly quickly (as I'm quite shy and not good with people I don't know) just not before the person actually reaches their seat!
This is not an internally consistent set of statements. IMHO, you are psychologically projecting your own issues about interacting with strangers onto a bystander. In other words, "when everyone else seems to be a problem, it is, in fact, usually you that is the problem".
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djbenedict
This is not an internally consistent set of statements. IMHO, you are psychologically projecting your own issues about interacting with strangers onto a bystander. In other words, "when everyone else seems to be a problem, it is, in fact, usually you that is the problem".
Sometimes I just write what I think - didn't realise I had to adhere to someone else's rules of what are " an internally consistent set of statements".

I am shy but don't have a problem with it and I can assure you I am also not the problem - just someone who was brought up to appreciate good manners and common courtesy. However if you are ever sitting opposite me do feel free to raise that screen as soon as you like
SK, lhrpete, IAMORGAN and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i fly too many long hauls and usually a bit tipsy by the time i board to notice which planes allow the screen to be up on take off.

as many others have noted, if im not traveling with you then no, i dont want to engage and the earliest i can raise that screen the better! BA may have though originally "what a great idea for travel companions to see one another and have a chat!" forgetting that a vast majority are alone when flying!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
How so?
To my mind anything that impedes movement during an EMERGENCY is hazardous. NOne of us know what will twist which way, break becoming a shrapnel........
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:49 pm

I find that farting, belching, nose picking, smelly feet, BO, and leaving the toilet in a poor state are more annoying traits than someone exercising their right of privacy sooner than you liked.

Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Don't feel bad, Mr. J puts the screen up on me, too. Maybe he just "wants to be alone." (Garbo accent.)
Karen762 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:59 pm

I guess I don't see the issue.

You are concerned about a lack of manners and/or courtesy, Your main complaint is the sequence of events. If he had faffed a bit, sat down and then raised the divider it seems you wouldn't have the same objection.

I don't see that why that would make his behaviour more polite.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by HMPS

To my mind anything that impedes movement during an EMERGENCY is hazardous. NOne of us know what will twist which way, break becoming a shrapnel........
While I sort of understand your point, I think you are overthinking this. There are far more significant objects that come into play in such a scenario that would impede your movement or turn into an internal missile, the screen would come way, way down on that list.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes, I don’t think the screens are energised until after take off usually on the a380.
The screen controls and mechanism seem to run off the same circuit as the in-seat AC power on the A380. If the AC power is off (no green light on the socket) no screen divider.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by passy777
I find that farting, belching, nose picking, smelly feet, BO, and leaving the toilet in a poor state are more annoying traits than someone exercising their right of privacy sooner than you liked.
Quite agree but that (and other comments) lead me to a further question - do you have any privacy in an aisle seat? I love the middle seat when travelling as a couple as there is almost total privacy with the screens up but the comments about the person wanting privacy when they're in the aisle seat just sound a bit odd as they are certainly not private.
I must reiterate that I love the screens and the privacy - it's just the fact the guy lowered it before sitting down and even looking at me. I must admit I've seen better days but he didn't even look at who was in the seat before hitting the button - I mean it could have been a supermodel, rock star or his potential future life partner sitting there
lhrpete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.