Search

Best route for First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Best route for First

Hi

A slightly odd question, we are looking at a First redemption next year and after flying is First very early in the morning we feel we missed out on some of the perks. (Breakfast & Afternoon Tea nor as good as a flight that had a main meal)

Morning All

We would like an open jaw trip to the East Coast of the US most likely including Miami. The other city we are flexible on we were thinking NYC again but happy to take suggestions.

To maximise the First experience we would like to fly from T5 so that mean that we can't fly to MIA as our first destination unless someone can convince me that the T3 lounges are as good as the Concorde Room. What are the First lounges like in MIA, I suppose we would like out outbound experience to be better than our return as we will likely be driving when we land in the UK but not in the US.

Any thoughts out routes for best lounge and cabin experience appreciated. MIA isn't even a must we just enjoyed it last year and are looking for a city that is warm on January/February with good redemption availably.

All thought ideas etc appreciated.

Many Thanks
Rob
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There's plenty of options and ways of enjoying your first First - I would not factor heavily the lounge pre departure; I think most will agree the T3 lounge offering is excellent. It will be a 12/14 hour experience from arrival at LHR to arrival in destination. I'd say pick the route you want to go, with the best timings and perhaps bear in mind aircraft choice - all above trying to work a trip around the CCR - which is fine, but nothing extra special
robiles likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
a few thoughts:
  • First to Miami is very difficult to get.
  • The Cathay Pacific lounge at T3 is, in my opinion, almost as good as the Concorde Room at T5. And First on the A380 to Miami beats First on the 777 or 747 to JFK.
  • On the way back, JFK is nice for the airport because they have a Concorde room. I don't like the short flight, though (and, again, the plane will not be as nice).
  • Miami just has the AA flagship lounge and you don't get First pre-flight dining there on a BA flight. You might consider AA First coming back from MIA if you're not using a 2-4-1.
robiles likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I would say get the 787 to Kuala Lumpur, a long enough flight to enjoy the whole experience plus it's such a nice plane to fly in.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:08 am

Personally I understand the OP's point and try to fly from T5 to use the Sofitel the night before, the F wing and enjoy the CCR (but then I am partial to the BA175s ). All things being equal, on an itinerary such as this I would choose my open jaw routing so that segment 1 was from T5.
robiles likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
F lounge in MIA is just the regular lounge, not great. You are much better off flying from JFK, IAD or BOS for instance. T3 lounges are good IMHO. Wines are better in the CCR than in any of them, but spa easier to book in t3, food as good in cx f, and showers there much better than the ccr cabanas.
robiles likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
++ for KUL and having done GRU now a few times hugely underrated and you can use that as a springboard into South America
robiles and TheFlyingCyclist like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
Well, assuming you're not doing a b2b turnaround, it depends where you want to actually go!

Best use of it is A380 on a 10hr+ journey. Second is 787. If you want Concorde Room you'll need T5 departure. So you've got SIN, KUL, TYO, HKG, SFO, LAX, SCL, etc.

T3 is on par thanks to Cathay and no inter-terminal satellite trains to worry about though (all A380s leave from T5C, where there is no lounge), which opens up CPT, MIA, etc.

Shorter overnight use from, say, BOS/JFK/IAD is too short to get much more than a bit of sleep (still useful, simply not the full experience).

Availability will be your main struggle I'd think. And when you spot something, I'd suggest biting - F redemption typically doesn't hang around for long.
robiles likes this.

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Feb 13, 2019 at 4:29 am
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: Some
My suggestion would be to choose F to whichever East Coast destination you actually want to visit!

Failing that/if we're going just by the BA product strength instead, I'd shoot for IAD on the 787 or possibly BOS on the A380. Both are a good combination of a very nice BA lounge and a good F product onboard, plus T5 departure given that's what you desire. The JFK CCR is nice, but I don't find the experience superior enough to compensate for the poorer 777 or 747 F products, both of which I don't like. I think the JFK sweet spot is CCR access before 747 Upper Deck. EWR on the 787 is also not a bad choice in F (plus you get to be in NYC...), I'm a fan of the BA189 which has a nice departure time in the afternoon, arriving in time for an evening in NYC. PHL and ORD are handicapped by very poor lounges.
robiles and mikeyfly like this.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Feb 13, 2019 at 6:11 am
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
My suggestion would be to chose F to whichever East Coast destination you actually want to visit!

Failing that/if we're going just by the BA product strength instead, I'd shoot for IAD on the 787 or possibly BOS on the A380. Both are a good combination of a very nice BA lounge and a good F product onboard, plus T5 departure given that's what you desire. The JFK CCR is nice, but I don't find the experience superior enough to compensate for the poorer 777 or 747 F products, both of which I don't like. I think the JFK sweet spot is CCR access before 747 Upper Deck. EWR on the 787 is also not a bad choice in F (plus you get to be in NYC...), I'm a fan of the BA189 which has a nice departure time in the afternoon, arriving in time for an evening in NYC. PHL and ORD are handicapped by very poor lounges.
ORD another option, with some extra air time, but the A380 there is seasonal and 777 best avoided. Oh and the ORD lounges are pants. IAD is best east coast lounge IMO, but unlike JFK's CCR it's not open more than a few hours prior to departure - the desk didn't open until T-2.5hrs last time I was there, meaning waiting around to drop a bag.
robiles likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
It's probably heresy on this board, but I would not have a lounge or aircraft type influence the decision on where to go. The difference between routes and aircraft types are pretty minimal in terms of the overall product. Realistically the crew is what will make the experience truly special (or not) - and you have no control over that.

Example: The 787 is indeed a very pleasant aircraft for F, but on my last segment the cabin was run down to the degree that I started cleaning. After a few attempts of getting the grime off the remote control I realised it was so deeply scratched that it was hard to use. The seat corners were rubbed off as well. If I had booked that flight specifically for the 787 experience I would have been pretty disappointed.

robiles and stewaran like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Go Big or Go Home..

West Coast on a 380 and have a couple of days there before an AA transcon back to the east coast (or Miami) stop again and then home from there.. Maximises flight times , great aircraft and lounge access.

Of course you need more miles to go further and a 241 wont work with AA but would be a blast....

and +1 for KUL we off tomorrow in First its a great flight and perfect departure time ( 18:55 ) for a bit of CCR before you go.
robiles and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:31 am

Sunshinebob we’re booked for 3 weeks times. Be very interested to hear how your trip goes!

and +1 for KUL we off tomorrow in First its a great flight and perfect departure time ( 18:55 ) for a bit of CCR before you go.[/QUOTE]
robiles likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Thank you everyone for your input.

Kuala Lumpur has always intruded me but we will likely do this next time we go Down Under.

I think from the feedback I might look a NYC or BOS from LHR then return from MIA but maybe just in J as its generally overnight just need comfort.

This thread has got me considering going to the West Coast instead now so the jury is out!

Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Just in case any other than a US destination is possible, my vote is for A380 to SIN and back. Destination warm enough all year too 😎
robiles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.