Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in Durban

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Transit in Durban

Hi all. I’m flying LHR to CPT with an outbound connection in DUR as it was much cheaper that way. It’s one ticket.

Any experience of transiting from international arrivals (in my case on BA41) to domestic departures (in my case the Comair flight BA6324 to CPT)?

My luggage will be through checked so I hope not to have to mess around with re-checking bags?

I understand BA uses the SLOW lounge. Any experience / tips regarding this, or indeed any other aspect of the connection?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You’ll need to clear immigration and customs and then recheck your bags, just as if connecting in JNB. It’s a fairly straightforward route - once lanside take an elevator up one level and the BA/Comair check in desks are at the far level as you stand with the road behind you. NB they are different location to BA Mainline!

Slow lounge is nice, can get a little bit crowded.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
The DUR SLOW lounge is a bit constrained by the space it is located in and so is not the best example of this product. Still a better short haul lounge than most others in the network.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are some photos over here of the terminal and arrival experience.
New BA Routes 2018: Durban, KwaZulu-Natal (DUR)

Since it is the only international arrival you should be through in no time, it's reasomably well designed and certainly easier than CPT or JNB for this sort of domestic transfer.

The Slow lounge has the usual central table positively groaning in food and I doubt you will feel badly served. While smaller than JNB it's larger than some other Comair lounges.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much all. I’m annoyed to have missed that about having to re-check bags, what a bummer.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HoneymoonFlyer
Thanks very much all. I’m annoyed to have missed that about having to re-check bags
It's a bit like the USA, customs is always at the point of entry, rather than point of arrival as it is in Europe and many other places. Nothing the airlines can do about that. But if you had to do this, DUR is where it is easiest.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It’s a fairly straightforward route - once landside take an elevator up one level and the BA/Comair check in desks are at the far level as you stand with the road behind you.
I think that may have been a typo for "far left". At any rate, it's at the same end of the terminal building as international arrivals, so heading for the nearest lift up to check-in level should make it very easy.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks very much all. I’m annoyed to have missed that about having to re-check bags, what a bummer.
It's a bit like the USA, customs is always at the point of entry, rather than point of arrival as it is in Europe and many other places.
You'd surely expect an international --> domestic normally to require immigration and customs clearance at the point of entry, followed by re-checking of bags, given that both passengers and bags will be mixing with fully domestic passengers on the second flight.

Of the places I routinely go to, this is what both Australia and New Zealand require.

The EU arrangement would seem to be more the exception than the rule - but even within the EU, I've had to do a full clearance and re-check at ARN when doing an internation --> domestic connection.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that may have been a typo for "far left". At any rate, it's at the same end of the terminal building as international arrivals, so heading for the nearest lift up to check-in level should make it very easy.You'd surely expect an international --> domestic normally to require immigration and customs clearance at the point of entry, followed by re-checking of bags, given that both passengers and bags will be mixing with fully domestic passengers on the second flight.

Of the places I routinely go to, this is what both Australia and New Zealand require.

The EU arrangement would seem to be more the exception than the rule - but even within the EU, I've had to do a full clearance and re-check at ARN when doing an internation --> domestic connection.
Completely fair enough - I have limited experience in connecting as I would always prefer to fly point to point even if it’s a bit more expensive. It was so much cheaper this time to connect that I think it’s worth it.

My reference point was connecting in Bangkok (from LHR) for my onward connection to Chiang Mai - all on one Thai Airways ticket. No such luggage nonsense there!

Good to know that my experience was one of the exceptions rather than the norm - I learn something every day on here.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Factor in a little extra time if DUR are fingerprinting on arrival.

We spent AN HOUR AND A HALF in the immigration queue arriving in to CPT 3rd Jan.
We were first off but arrived immediately behind LH576's A340.
The Department of Home Affairs was fingerprinting *everyone*, all fingers.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnomeza

We spent AN HOUR AND A HALF in the immigration queue arriving in to CPT 3rd Jan.
Luckily BA41 appears to be the only flight in so early in the morning (5:30am), so I think the risk of congestion from other arrivals is not one of my issues.

BUT I have found another problem.

I've accidentally booked BA6324 as my Comair connection, which has a stop in Port Elizabeth en route to Cape Town. I really didn't mean to do that - it's not at all obvious when booking that it makes a stop en route. I intended to book BA6302 which departs 75 mins later and lands only 15 mins later because it doesn't have the stop.

I've asked BA to amend and they've said they'll have a manager call me back. The price of both was and is the same. My booking is in Club, though I don't know what difference that makes. Do I have any hope here?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Did you book within the last 24 hours? You could simply cancel and rebook.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:45 am

The stop in Port Elizabeth is nothing to worry about, you and your luggage stays on the aircraft, and if they can depart early they will. You'll just have 2 breakfasts! There is a 3 way choice so in theory you can work your way through the menu. So personally I would stick with it rather than mucking up your ticketing. It's slicker than a LCY turnaround.

I don't recall a fingerprint check at DUR, and if there was it certainly didn't hold me up, I was through immigration in under a minute.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:54 am
Original Poster

@ ptr120 - no unfortunately not, more like 6 days...

@ CWS - really appreciate the reassurance as I'm mightily annoyed to have messed up at the moment. The prospect of two breakfasts does help to lessen my foul mood...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:01 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
@ ptr120 - no unfortunately not, more like 6 days...

@ CWS - really appreciate the reassurance as I'm mightily annoyed to have messed up at the moment. The prospect of two breakfasts does help to lessen my foul mood...
for some reason I messed up a CPT - DUR hop last year and yes I enjoyed my 2 breakfasts also.
in DUR SLOW lounge they have some really really good chocolate croissants- plus a host of other fine edible delights, mostly very calorific!......
nothing to add other than I flew into DUR late last year and wasn't fingerprinted, in fact I don't recall ever having been in RSA.
have a good trip
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by gnomeza

On 8 Dec we landed at CPT at 0915, and were on the road with our driver at 1000. No fingerprints, not a word spoken by the Immigration Officer, no questions, passport stamped and ... GO!

The difference was palpable from previous visits, because this time we didn’t clash with the LH flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.