Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Downgrade - What are my rights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:32 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Isn't 261/2004 complementary to any contractual remedies? Or is it a complete code?
My (limited) understanding is 261/2004 confers passengers protections in addition to than local law or contract provides. E.g. I had a case where a mate of mine was IDGed from J to PE on a FRA-HKG redmeption with CX on Asia Miles. CX initially said a pro-rated refund of the redemption, being 50% of the miles used for segment was available under Asia Miles T&C. My mate cited EC261 and was refunded 70% of the miles.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:34 am

I am a lawyer and I don't know the answer - hence why I am asking. Aviation is a law unto itself (literally!) but I certainly feel:

1. As a consumer, if I purchase a 'business class' ticket then if in fact the airline can force me to fly in economy (or lose my ticket with no compensation) then I would expect that term to have a big red hand next to it at the time of purchase.

2. Can BA simply say 'sorry Mr Morgan I know you booked club world but actually we don't guarantee it and here's your boarding pass for World Traveller seat 30E. Take it or leave it but if you leave it you will be treated as a no show and will lose your ticket'?

3. If that is right then it must also be right that I could say 'well I'll leave it thanks but I'll buy a new Club World ticket tomorrow'. 'Ok that'll be $4,000'. Next day "sorry Mr Morgan but we don't guarantee you'll travel in Club. Here's a boarding pass for World Traveller seat 30E. Take it or...."

Is that actually the law?
Does the Consumer Rights Act do anything for these circumstances?

For example, would one be able to argue a term allowing BA to substitute an inferior service and with compensation as they see fit as an unfair term (assuming that is a term).

Would there be an argument that BA has not acted with reasonable care and skill in not being able to supply the promised service?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I follow that to a point - surely the breach occurs when you are purportedly downgraded. My point is that the downgrade is a change to the contract - I thought I had purchased a business class flight and now you are giving me an economy class flight which is not what I purchased (I am trying to work out whether there's something in BA's ts and cs entitling them to unilaterally change the cabin of service). As you say I guess then the question is whether the customer can treat it as a repudiatory breach and where the losses flow. Or could the customer try to get an order for specific performance of the original contract (i.e. business class) albeit at a later date? I'm just trying to work out exactly where the line is.

Isn't 261/2004 complementary to any contractual remedies? Or is it a complete code?
well at any rate, in the CoC, section 9 on schedules and remedies and section 10b on involuntary fare refunds do not make mention of downgrades as an eligible cause for either so the airline treats the contract as pertaining to a departure, destination, stopover if applicable, and timing. Whether this is (and would be considered) fair or not is of course debatable.

My sense is still that the right ‘test’ would be the one you mention, ie if an airline considered that it could ‘force’ you to fly in the downgraded cabin and you were refusing to and they considered it a voluntary cancellation on your part. By contrast, in the op’s case where the remedy you mention is mutually agreed, I personally find it hard to consider that one of the parties could then go back to claiming a breach of contract to seek additional compensation over and above the new solution they both agreed. At any rate, if one considered that the rebooking would only be acceptable on condition of some additional compensation, it would be prudent to ideally agree that as part of the process of rebooking/resolution, or at the very least have that claim noted there and then or it seems to me that the default assumption would be that the new booking is the mutually agreed solution to the original incident.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As I see it, part of the problem is that EC261 has resulted in European airlines no longer doing customer service gestures beyond what EC261 requires. Yet, in the involuntary downgrade case, it would be very reasonable to expect the carrier not only to pay duty of care but also make a customer service gesture/apology when a customer must take a later (or earlier if applicable) flight in order to stay in the cabin that was booked.

A business class ticket is not the same as (for instance, use your own probability estimates) a 99% chance of traveling on business class and a 1% chance of flying coach on the same flight with the EC 75% refund. Many people who purchase business tickets do not want to take the trip in coach, at any price, and in fact they're already shown that they would not have preferred to travel in coach for the coach fare, which is why just refunding the price difference is inadequate. [In fact, I suspect that the only people willing to take the price difference refund and sit in coach are those whose employers have purchased the ticket and who plan to just pocket the refund without notifying the employer.]
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether additional rights apply or not, I suspect that almost any carrier would be quite happy to refund the ticket in question at the passenger's request and be done with him.

Sometimes there just is not a good remedy. One must be somewhere else for an important meeting, event or whatever and there are no seats in F/CW/WTP as the case may be. There are also no other good options in a premium cabin. Thus, one either lumps it in WT or does not fly.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Often1
Whether additional rights apply or not, I suspect that almost any carrier would be quite happy to refund the ticket in question at the passenger's request and be done with him.
This is CX's favourite recourse "Refund Law". Avoids any extra outlay to source seats from other airlines or any claim for compensation.

Great for airlines - commit low-fare paying passengers into non-cancellable fares, boot those lowest passengers off if somehow high-fare paying passengers showed up.

Very equal treaty. Can passengers pull refunds off airlines this way too?

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 16, 2019 at 1:53 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1

Sometimes there just is not a good remedy. One must be somewhere else for an important meeting, event or whatever and there are no seats in F/CW/WTP as the case may be. There are also no other good options in a premium cabin. Thus, one either lumps it in WT or does not fly.
This is why airlines should be required to solicit volunteers before doing involuntary downgrades or IDBs.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is why airlines should be required to solicit volunteers before doing involuntary downgrades or IDBs.
Both US (14 C.F.R.) and EU (261/2004) law require the solicitation of volunteers before denying boarding. Neither requires this before downgrading. US law requires only that any fare difference be refunded. EU law requires that somewhere between 30-75% of the base segment fare be refunded. Neither requires compensation.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As I see it, part of the problem is that EC261 has resulted in European airlines no longer doing customer service gestures beyond what EC261 requires.
Yet, this very thread proves you wrong on this. BA had no duty of care towards the op yet chose to offer accommodation and some transportation which it was not obliged to pay as well as reaccommodate the op on the service that he chose, which again was not an obligation.

The whole notion that without consumer protection airlines did or would self regulate and be more generous without being forced to is, in my view, non credible. Indeed, each year, I’m still the victim of airlines not subjects to those consumer protection obligations and can sadly testify that you get treated like rubbish and certainly not more likely to get more voluntary costumer service generosity than with, say, BA, AF or LH. The only possible exception is LY which is very ungenerous beyond their high regulatory obligations, but then again they were totally unfenerous before them too and that’s probably why the Israeli legislator has been quite thorough.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Credit card chargebacks are a good example of this phenomenon. When the US introduced a mandatory minimum 60-day chargeback period (from the date the charge first appears on a statement), some people were convinced that this would be the end of no fee cards and that interest rates would go through the roof. It has not been the end of such cards and rates have tracked for years.

At the same time, card issuers have extended chargeback periods to as long as a year even though they have no obligation to do so.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
but chargebacks aren't the panacea some people think they are and they should be invoked carefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.