Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to offshore pilots [Baseless Rumour Alert]

Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.

Currently BA are hosting a pilot recruitment campaign which has included roadshows in London, Manchester and now strangely Abu Dhabi?

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/briti...ts-55400936693

BA pilots have always given me that added sense of safety when flying from the moment you are welcomed on board, inflight messages, deplaning regardless of age or experience (young or old) and length of flights. Whilst pilots are certainly highly skilled individuals, with training not cheap and scholarships unheard of these days for such a field but to fly out to the Emirates to on such a campaign begs the questions, does nobody want to fly BA aircraft as there are better airlines to work for even now for pilots? .Are those pilots in the ME just a better calibre? Cost? (always ) or just a genuine skill shortage?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Where is a suggestion of 'offshoring' in this?

Ah, I'd better tell friends of ours who are working in the ME, not exactly happy, and thinking of coming back to the UK. There are lots of them, which I assume BA have realised...

Maybe they don't want to do it in Doha to avoid treading on AAB's toes.

Offshoring... perhaps not!
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 12, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:26 pm

Or just that there are many Brits leaving Dubai who might fancy a job back home.

I think you are reading too much into it.
nancypants and pacenotes like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Pretty much all major airlines look to recruit experienced pilots from all over the world, and that include from the ME3. This has been going on for years. Many of the ME3 pilots originally worked for the likes of BA and others.

I am not sure this is really newsworthy tbh. There seems to be a certian element of 2+2=22 here.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
I think that your thread title is misleading.

I'm not entirely sure of the point of your point but aviation is a global market and many airlines recruit on a global basis for flight deck crew. BA are aware that according to some all is not great at EK / EY and that there are several British and European pilots who might well be tempted to move back from the sandpit.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Where is a suggestion of 'offshoring' in this?

Ah, I'd better tell friends of ours (mostly British) who are working out there, not exactly happy, and thinking of coming back to the UK. There are lots of them, which I assume BA have realised...

Offshoring... perhaps not!
Why else would you hold a recruitment fair abroad for a role?
Originally Posted by simons1
Or just that there are many Brits leaving Dubai who might fancy a job back home.

I think you are reading too much into it.
Maybe
Originally Posted by KARFA

I am not sure this is really newsworthy tbh. There seems to be a certian element of 2+2=22 here.
I disagree this is could end up being the same as the Mixed Fleet v Legacy crew argument.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
there are lots of unhappy, qualified pilots at EK, EY, ETC.

BA is just trying to poach them.
msm2000uk and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by icegirl
Why else would you hold a recruitment fair abroad for a role?
I guess for the same reason that BA are about to announce their next inter-galactic longhaul hub will be in Manchester. CCR Wythenshawe here we come.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
So when my local hospitat went to the Philippines to recruit nurses they were also offshoring jobs? No they were just recruiting staff to come and work in the U.K.

offshoring usually means moving a function out of the U.K. such as setting up a call centre in say India and replacing U.K. based staff with cheaper Indian staff.

this is not what is happening here at all. You need to check yoiur dictionary definitions before using such a word as offshoring.
muscat, plunet, Lefly and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Well considering the strong partnership between the two, BA could have an agreement with QR to supply staff on a series of short term contracts.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Many other UK based airlines have been out in Dubai in the last 12-24 months on recruitment campaigns trying to tempt British/EU pilots from Emirates, Etihad, Qatar etc.

Working conditions with those Middle East airlines arent as great as they once were, at least not for Westerners and for many people its a few years of adventure away earning a tax free salary.

nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The airline pilot market is totally international. When I qualified I sent off my CV to every registered airline, corporate operator and air taxi company I could find throughout the world!!! I don't know how many... I didn't count! It took ages. My point is that just because a pilot flies for BA it doesn't mean they are British or trained in the UK. In fact, most young pilots I flew with when I qualified did their commercial training abroad, a lot in the USA.

When it comes to commercial flying with the major airlines we just have to trust that they are all up to the required standard. I can't imagine why a pilot from any one country might be any better or worse than one from another if they are flying for the same airline.

I could imagine BA recruiting from all the major aviation bases around the world.
nancypants and Scots_Al like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
While I am sure BA recruits from all corners of the world, I cannot remember flying a single time with them where the flight crew did not sound British.

I once only heard a Spanish accent on BA, its on the ATC recording of the BA85 accident at LHR.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA has many non British pilots already. If you think you have never been flown by any you arent paying attention
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Yes true. Don't forget though, there is a severe shortage of skilled and experienced pilots in the world, so it's natural BA will look to recruit the Brits back to the UK, on I am sure top salaries! 150,000 GBP a year for a BA captain right?
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.