Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Probable A380 Program Termination This Week - No last minute BA Order

Probable A380 Program Termination This Week - No last minute BA Order

Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft

I see, are they jam today or jam tomorrow business strategists?
Both, they will demand changes to compsny policy if necessary to ensure that jam is in constant supply. Commercial organisations have no other purpose other than to generate the maximum possible return to their investors.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by charlieboy77
... Typical output from Simon Calder.
However, he does make a point that should be kept in mind... the passengers per 'plane average (for long haul) is dropping, and at slot constrained airports (like LHR) that could be a problem.

rb211.
JimEddie likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by RB211
However, he does make a point that should be kept in mind... the passengers per 'plane average (for long haul) is dropping, and at slot constrained airports (like LHR) that could be a problem.

rb211.
The A380 will however only help where the extra capacity over a 747/777 would avoid an extra rotation and only where frequency on a particular route is not an issue,
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:02 pm

rb211.
Thats been the case ever since business class flat beds and premium economy became a “thing” in the early 2000s. This has been further exacerbated by the shift to the “big twins”. I remember looking at data in early 2011 (back when I was in the airport industry) and wasn’t surprised to see the decline in pax per flight given these factors. This ultimately becomes a problem for an airline like BA when operating from LHR. At some point you have to increase a/c size
RB211 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:17 pm

xxxxx
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965

The A380 will however only help where the extra capacity over a 747/777 would avoid an extra rotation and only where frequency on a particular route is not an issue,
I'm not saying the A380 is the answer for all airlines everywhere. But it does have a place where it can help - slot constrained airports with suitable routes with extra capacity that don't warrant dropping a flight elsewhere to free up a slot! There are definitely some LHR routes that fit this profile.

rb211.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I'm not saying the A380 is the answer for all airlines everywhere. But it does have a place where it can help - slot constrained airports with suitable routes with extra capacity that don't warrant dropping a flight elsewhere to free up a slot! There are definitely some LHR routes that fit this profile..
HKG also
But BA and CX (Because Air) both decided it's simply easier to pressure Government into building more runways than taking the financial risk of owning bigger aircraft themselves.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
HKG also
But BA and CX (Because Air) both decided it's simply easier to pressure Government into building more runways than taking the financial risk of owning bigger aircraft themselves.
When did/is Chek Lap Kok get/getting an extra runway?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
HKG also
As any good business should be doing, why would you want to take any more financial risk than you have to?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by richardwft

When did/is Chek Lap Kok get/getting an extra runway?

Hi,

Some details here ( apr 18 article)

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ork-cut-impact

Regards

TBS
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:36 pm

I'm not saying the A380 is the answer for all airlines everywhere. But it does have a place where it can help - slot constrained airports with suitable routes with extra capacity that don't warrant dropping a flight elsewhere to free up a slot! There are definitely some LHR routes that fit this profile.

rb211.
I also agree it has a place, I just feel that its commerial appeal is less than what a lot of passengers would like it to be.
It would be interesting if fares on a flight were set according to the cost of operating the particular aircraft on that flight. I suspect the complaints on here about the 747s and 777s may be tempered
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965

I also agree it has a place, I just feel that its commerial appeal is less than what a lot of passengers would like it to be.
It would be interesting if fares on a flight were set according to the cost of operating the particular aircraft on that flight. I suspect the complaints on here about the 747s and 777s may be tempered

I agree. When it was being conceived, the general thinking was that bigger is better, but soon after that the mid-capacity twins were showing that with engine improvements, economies were to be had in that area making newer large twins relatively more profitable. And so the landscape in which the A380 could be profitable (against the competition) shrunk pretty quickly, and now the profile for profitable A380 flights is quite small. And you are right, passengers seem to like it a lot. It is certainly quite quiet and can provide the illusion of being spacious. Those benefits coupled with the higher cabin pressure makes it a less unenjoyable experience, even in steerage.

rb211.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:27 pm

I agree. When it was being conceived, the general thinking was that bigger is better, but soon after that the mid-capacity twins were showing that with engine improvements, economies were to be had in that area making newer large twins relatively more profitable. And so the landscape in which the A380 could be profitable (against the competition) shrunk pretty quickly, and now the profile for profitable A380 flights is quite small. And you are right, passengers seem to like it a lot. It is certainly quite quiet and can provide the illusion of being spacious. Those benefits coupled with the higher cabin pressure makes it a less unenjoyable experience, even in steerage.

rb211.
You point regarding engine improvements is extremely relevent, part of EK’s change of heart was the long standing negotiations with RR regarding Trent 900 improvements which could not be resolved. I feel that this and the Trent 1000 issues with the 787s will force RR to up its game and may even lead to a new engine platform.
1Aturnleft and RB211 like this.

Last edited by kanderson1965; Feb 16, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:46 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Some details here ( apr 18 article)

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ork-cut-impact

Regards

TBS
HK$141b or US$18b https://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/ec...authority-plan

The objection I have as a HK Permanent Resident and taxpayer (we don't have "citizens", a PR is equivalent), and I believe I am not alone here, is that the 3rd runway is enabling traffic that is not carrying local residents i.e. transit for our Air Flow Controlled northern neighbour and O&D of the southern Guangdong catchment area.
Even our visitors (other parts of China or otherwise) do not come in this way (far more by High Speed Rail or bus).

So this is another project where we're building infrastructure for the Mainland in lieu of taxes.
I do admit Airport Authority is funding a third of it thru levies on current passengers (transit, catchment and local all sharing)
But they also fudged a third of the funding by approporiating dividends on the existing infrastructure instead of paying it to general revenue (to avoid having to go to Legco to get it properly appropriated) (the remainder third is loan financing).

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 16, 2019 at 7:58 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:00 pm

A replacement plane for the 74L of Sofia ?

This NASA airborne observatory which is in use is a 42 year old 747SP of Panam.
When this plane is to be replaced, a second hand 380 can be used ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strato...ared_Astronomy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.