Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Probable A380 Program Termination This Week - No last minute BA Order

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Probable A380 Program Termination This Week - No last minute BA Order

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BOH
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pres...dy-orders.html

Emirates to take only 15 more frames but orders large number of A330 NEO and A350

Wonder if BA will order any as an end-of-line top-up. As mentioned earlier in the thread, WW has frequently said BA could use more of them, but not at the price Airbus is asking.
Given that Airbus has made a decision to end the project, I doubt that they would be interested in making any more at a cut price for BA.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:49 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Given that Airbus has made a decision to end the project, I doubt that they would be interested in making any more at a cut price for BA.
Well I would respectfully disagree - 2021 is a minimum of 2 years away, maximum just less than 3. It is not unheard of for airlines to top up some of their fleet when the manufacturer announces a future end of production date. I recall NW did it with the DC10 and it is well known in the industry that 77W are currently available from Boeing at quite a discounted price prior to the line closing to make way for the new 77X.

Yes there are long-lead items to consider from sub-contractors so there may only be a small window of opportunity if any other airline wants to consider a top-off order. Particularly if there are some expensive long-lead items built as part of a batch that would otherwise now have to be scrapped - it is better to sell a few more frames at a heavy discount to get some return for any 380-unique parts stock which would otherwise now be scrapped.

I agree it is unlikely - but it has certainly happened before and currently Boeing are offering it with the 77W
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Just been confirmed on BBC news , sad day

Edit: Seems Emirates also just placed an order for 70 odd A330 and A350 aircraft at the same time as reducing their A380 order.

Last edited by Will100; Feb 14, 2019 at 12:26 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:44 am
Suspended

Has the second hand A380 market received a boost?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
A sad day for passengers. As detailed upthread by others the idea of setting foot on 777’s now fills me with dread - nasty aircraft.

However as long as there’s A350, 787’s and 380’s still flying I’ll be happy, with some upper deck or F 747 thrown in also

I’ve not looked into the 777X but presume it’s as big an advancement in NVH as the 747-8 ie none. But at least the cargo capacity is good.....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
I think the only second hand aircraft is the HiFly operated one which was used as a Thunderbird to rescue the Norwegian Pax in the US once LGW re-opened.

I expect that the lessors will be holding the baby as the residual value after 10 years will be minimal as the second hand parts market needs an large active fleet to be really worthwhile. Assume 50% residual value after 10 years at a new price of $350M (I don’t work in Aircraft Finance so have no idea of the real figures) and multiply by 250 aircraft and you get an impression of the financial damage that might be floating around the global finance system waiting to land.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I just know I'll be shot down for this, but what is the seeming hatred of the 777 driven by? Is it just the perception of the CW cabin as a "dorm" or is there something else behind it? Personally I think the 777 is a great aircraft.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:35 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JimEddie
I just know I'll be shot down for this, but what is the seeming hatred of the 777 driven by? Is it just the perception of the CW cabin as a "dorm" or is there something else behind it? Personally I think the 777 is a great aircraft.
It's very noisy in the cabin.
David_Doyle and toothy like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Robespierre
I think the only second hand aircraft is the HiFly operated one which was used as a Thunderbird to rescue the Norwegian Pax in the US once LGW re-opened.

I expect that the lessors will be holding the baby as the residual value after 10 years will be minimal as the second hand parts market needs an large active fleet to be really worthwhile. Assume 50% residual value after 10 years at a new price of $350M (I don’t work in Aircraft Finance so have no idea of the real figures) and multiply by 250 aircraft and you get an impression of the financial damage that might be floating around the global finance system waiting to land.
After the first A380s were returned to lessors by SQ the lessors made a public statement that they recovered their investment over the duration of the lease. Further there is significant value in the engines and of course other spares, given there are over 200 A380s operating and will still be operating for the foreseeable future there is a market
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BOH
Also air quality is poor (very dry and often I seem to develop a cold in the next couple of days), in addition to lower pressurization - it's the only aircraft I regularly seem to get a nosebleed after flying. Turbulence much more apparent than on an A380 (and even the A350, which you feel flex in a strange but not as unpleasant way rather than being bumped around by turbulence).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:59 am
Suspended

Could BA have a renewed interest in the MH’s A380s?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JimEddie
- Noisy
- Dorm like CW
- Higher cabin pressure than modern aircraft like 787, 350, 380
- Dryer air
- Did I mention noisy?
THO likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jagboi
That yield graph strikes me as quite odd, as 2015 is when yields drops, yet that is also when oil prices crashed. Fuel should have been much cheaper in 2015-and again in 16 than in 2014, which should have boosted yields. Or was there a proportionately greater loss of customers in the oil and gas markets than was made up for in lower fuel costs?
The graph is of yield, not profit. If fuel prices are low, fares can be lower to match. If fares are lower, yields are lower - regardless of whether the correspondingly lower costs (because of low fuel prices) might increase profit.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Also air quality is poor (very dry and often I seem to develop a cold in the next couple of days), in addition to lower pressurization - it's the only aircraft I regularly seem to get a nosebleed after flying.
Nosebleed city, as always complained of by ex-WW friend.

Coincidentally, this thread has recently come back to life on the QF board: So glad QF never bought those noisy 777s
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Depends on where you sit. The newer aircraft (including the 380, but also the 350 and 787) have, as said, higher cabin pressure and less engine noise. But the rear of the 777 is rather noisy. And, yet, that is a real difference with the 1980s with the 707 and DC8 with horrible noise. Even the first generation jumbo (747-200) was more noisy, I flew that plane several times during that era. I bet that the 777X has less noise and better cabin pressure as well.
But I consider noise generated by galley work more bothersome, so I prefer seats as far away from the galleys.
Fortunately, with EK you can book seats Y seats in the very front of the plane (rows 41-50), which also are less noisy. I have done that for my flight tonight to BNE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.