Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Group Zero" etc

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
How about leaving a little note in the surplus bag? Something along the lines of;
"Dear Baggage Services,

Please do not waste your time trying to re-unite this bag with its owner (me), as I have no need for it and simply gate checked it to ensure I could gain early access to the overhead bins for my flight. Would you be so good as to deposit it with a charity shop of your choosing. Here is Ł10 to cover your expenses in doing so.

Much Love,

A valued Blue member of BAEC
Group 5

PS. If this bag is found unaccompanied somewhere in the airport, please be re-assured that I am not a terrorist and this bag is no threat
"

(Admittedly, the last bit may never get read)

Last edited by notakeenflyer; Feb 12, 2019 at 2:55 am Reason: Formatting
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
How different is it to the people offering to gate check their cases yet not leaving them at the jetty or indeed losing the yellow tags between being given them and the aircraft as they are too important for that.
Very little. FT shouldn't be pretending that they are "best practice" either.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

How different is it to the people offering to gate check their cases yet not leaving them at the jetty or indeed losing the yellow tags between being given them and the aircraft as they are too important for that.
Not at all.

Keep digging.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If this catches on they'll add a new Group to the end of the boarding list.

'The Carpetblaggers'
IFE Wizard, cjb666 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Super Extra Priority Group Zero should be a new boarding group reserved exclusively for us EU Nationals who live in the UK on the grounds that since your Glorious Leader has accused us of being naught but queue-jumpers, we might as well make the most of it
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by Irreverent Medusa; Feb 12, 2019 at 7:15 am
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Did you not read the rest of my post which explained why this would not be relevant in OPs scenario?
Clearly not!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by simons1
Well what do you think happens to unclaimed baggage?

Someone logs it, perhaps spends time trying to reunite with its owner and eventually someone has to remove and destroy it.

Not to mention that the offer may not get made and you end up with the bags.

If you think that is all appropriate just for the sake of getting priority boarding, well good luck.
Agreed.
On top of this, EVERY piece checked in needs a tag that can be traced to the OP. I wonder if the abandonment is recorded in the BA sytem and if there is a repeat offense, what will they do ?
Besides there is a chance of getting on a "list" with Customs, ICE, TSA etc security agencies. Worst case scenario: You are now on a NO FLY LIST !.

Rest of us need to think: This ultimately adds to COSTS. They will have to enhance something to recover it !!!!!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
Super Extra Priority Group Zero should be a new boarding group reserved exclusively for us EU Nationals who live in the UK on the grounds that since your Glorious Leader has accused us of being naught but queue-jumpers, we might as well make the most of it
Having been a non frequent low life Blue economy flyer throughout most of my non too frequent flying years. I find the hype surrounding priority boarding all a bit over the top. I don't recall ever having had to be 'separated' from my hand luggage as it has always fitted under the seat in front or in the locker space above or close to me. Then again, I almost always travel in a relaxed manner....my feathers don't get ruffled that easily.

The OP is either taking the mickey or needs to learn to relax.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The OP is either taking the mickey or needs to learn to relax.
Given that Plus costs about Ł10 more than Basic, I favour your first premise.
HIDDY, PAL62V, aidy and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Classic thread. Excellent reading material while eating my breakfast.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:05 am

Sometimes I travel light and therefore have surplus hold and cabin baggage allowances. Yet I feel short-changed in such an instance and want to get the best value from my ticket. Would it be appropriate etiquette for me to check in as many 23/32kg bags of bricks as appropriate, and carry a 23kg rucksack of bricks as my hold luggage, and not collect any of them after the flight?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by _nate
Sometimes I travel light and therefore have surplus hold and cabin baggage allowances. Yet I feel short-changed in such an instance and want to get the best value from my ticket. Would it be appropriate etiquette for me to check in as many 23/32kg bags of bricks as appropriate, and carry a 23kg rucksack of bricks as my hold luggage, and not collect any of them after the flight?
Good plan ^ Alternatively, you could hang around the check in desks and try to sell your surplus allowance.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
Good plan ^ Alternatively, you could hang around the check in desks and try to sell your surplus allowance.
“Has anybody asked you to take anything for them on to the plane?”

“No, but somebody was offering to take my luggage for me as they hadn't used up their full entitlement!”
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Given that Plus costs about Ł10 more than Basic, I favour your first premise.
Very good point. ^

Must say I do like the OP's username.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by _nate
Go for it ! We would love to see your story go viral as the guy who abondons bags that can cary such loads. Someone will use it and someone will buy at the auction. You will be famous twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.