Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Group Zero" etc

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

"Group Zero" etc

Apologies if this has been asked before -- I parsed through a few pages and couldn't see anything along these lines.

I don't fly enough to gain status, so I'm a lowly BA Blue. I'm lucky enough to be the traveling companion of a couple of BA Golds, and so often when I fly I get to experience "how the other half live".

As such, I fly in either Group One or Group Five on BA. My question is -- is there any penalty to "forgetting" hold luggage at your destination? It's tempting to pick up some charity shop carpet bags, and offer to check them in for priority "group zero" boarding, but is there a security issue to not collecting it at my destination? I don't want to get into trouble, but Group Five boarding is becoming increasingly painful (especially when I'm allocated exit row, so I have to beg cabin crew for space to stow my small rucksack and coat).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:59 pm

One of the more bizarre suggestions I have seen, however if making your problem someone else's problem is the goal then it might work....
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
One of the more bizarre suggestions I have seen, however if making your problem someone else's problem is the goal then it might work....
the entire point of this thread is asking to what extent it becomes someone else’s problem — is unclaimed luggage an issue and for whom?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
What happens when they don't make the offer? Do you leave the bag in the gate area? Or take up space unnecessarily on board? Either way I think abandoning luggage at any place in an airport (including the belts) is a really bad idea.
NeedstoFly likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:07 pm

What is the possible rationale for this?!

The only benefit of boarding early is to avoid getting your bag gate checked. But if you are offering a fake bag to gate check, you cannot also take on a large cabin bag that would otherwise be at risk of it. Thus you gain no advantage at all.

If your only motivation is you simply don’t like boarding last, well then you must be doing something wrong. I generally always have priority boarding and generally always board last anyway, because why sit in an economy seat for longer than necessary?

Very bizarre post.
Bat 21, dylanks, ens100 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes unclaimed baggage is an issue and it adds to the costs of the airlines fares and so makes them more expensive.

You will also be taking up the time of staff who could be helping people with real not invented baggage problems.

if you want to board in group one then have the right status for group 1 or buy a ticket in the right cabin.

What a bizarre post.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Feb 11, 2019 at 6:09 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The only benefit of boarding early is to avoid getting your bag gate checked. But if you are offering a fake bag to gate check, you cannot also take on a large cabin bag that would otherwise be at risk of it.
You obviously have not seen the couple who checked one bag at the gate and then took three bags each on board.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
You obviously have not seen the couple who checked one bag at the gate and then took three bags each on board.
Indeed not, because I'm not at the gate early enough to witness such shenanigans; I'm still sipping my G&T in the lounge...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Triceratiptops
Apologies if this has been asked before -- I parsed through a few pages and couldn't see anything along these lines.

I don't fly enough to gain status, so I'm a lowly BA Blue. I'm lucky enough to be the traveling companion of a couple of BA Golds, and so often when I fly I get to experience "how the other half live".

As such, I fly in either Group One or Group Five on BA. My question is -- is there any penalty to "forgetting" hold luggage at your destination? It's tempting to pick up some charity shop carpet bags, and offer to check them in for priority "group zero" boarding, but is there a security issue to not collecting it at my destination? I don't want to get into trouble, but Group Five boarding is becoming increasingly painful (especially when I'm allocated exit row, so I have to beg cabin crew for space to stow my small rucksack and coat).
Having senior moments here.
What is group Zero boarding?
Hold baggage = checked bags?
Carpet bags = jute or gunny bags ?

If you plan to leave the bags at destination why are you checking them in ?

If you are in an Exit row, that takes status or $$$ to get it ? So which is it ? Thank you.
nancypants and Traveller 935 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I generally always have priority boarding and generally always board last anyway, because why sit in an economy seat for longer than necessary?.
On short haul flights I prefer to board early to ensure I don't have to care about lack of overhead luggage space.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Buy a Club Europe ticket?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Carpet bags are very collectable so won't come cheap even when bought from a charity shop.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMPS
Having senior moments here.
What is group Zero boarding?
Hold baggage = checked bags?
Carpet bags = jute or gunny bags ?

If you plan to leave the bags at destination why are you checking them in ?

If you are in an Exit row, that takes status or $$$ to get it ? So which is it ? Thank you.
Color me confused also...

Hoping somebody can translate what OP is trying to accomplish..
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by TomMM

So far I am told "carpet bags" are collectibles.

Glad I am not the only one !
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TomMM

i believe the OP is planning to gate check a worthless bag (say for instance worth a pound or so) which allows him to preboard ahead of Group 1 folks, when the gate attendant asks for people to check in bags at the gate due a full flight in exchange for priority boarding. I understand he is calling that preboarding ‘Group 0’.

At the destination, the OP has no plans to collect the worthless bag from the baggage carousel, and rely on someone else to sort out what to do with the bag left on the carousel.

Thereby the net effect to the OP is to receive priority boarding for the little money spent on the worthless bag. At least I think that is the plan?
kosy91, nancypants and W213Sal like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.