Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

YQ on Avios redemption to US now £400 - is that correct

Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver

Just looking at booking a 2-4-1 redemption in F and taxes and surcharges to the US are coming to £668pp, £400 of which being YQ. Is that correct? I haven't redeemed one for 18-months or so, but last time it was under £1,100 for the two tickets. On the page you select the flights on it states 200k Avios and £1,194, but when you click through it goes up to £1,336. Is this a bug, or is this now what it costs?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
That is indeed how much it costs
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - wow, that's quite a hike! Ah well, still cheaper than ex-EU and direct, and actually cheaper than cash Y for the dates we want.

Edit: Just as a data point, I had a look through my past e-tickets. The last time I booked the same journey was in June 2017, and it was £1,057.

Last edited by gustavmahler; Feb 11, 2019 at 12:15 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Just looking at booking a 2-4-1 redemption in F and taxes and surcharges to the US are coming to £668pp, £400 of which being YQ. Is that correct? I haven't redeemed one for 18-months or so, but last time it was under £1,100 for the two tickets. On the page you select the flights on it states 200k Avios and £1,194, but when you click through it goes up to £1,336. Is this a bug, or is this now what it costs?
That specific phenomenon is a bug.

The first page, on which you select your flights, gives you an estimate of the cost but that page has been returning erroneous estimates in many situations.

When you click through to the next page, giving you a firm quote for your selected flights, the TFC figure should be correct.

In any event, it is easy to do a quick check of the TFC by using ITA. You only really need to have selected flights in the correct cabin, although it is probably best to select the highest booking class in the cabin because there are sometimes some YQ quirks in the lowest economy booking classes.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:20 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Thanks - wow, that's quite a hike! Ah well, still cheaper than ex-EU and direct, and actually cheaper than cash Y for the dates we want.

Edit: Just as a data point, I had a look through my past e-tickets. The last time I booked the same journey was in June 2017, and it was £1,057.
Do you not value the avios at all ? that taxes and charges are less than an economy fare is something that would be an expected condition surely
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Do you not value the avios at all ? that taxes and charges are less than an economy fare is something that would be an expected condition surely
Oh of course. I was merely saying that despite the increase, the taxes and surcharges were still below the cash fare economy ticket. I wouldn’t be able to fly F any other way (other than possibly a UuA on a cheap ex-EU) so still pretty good for me!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That specific phenomenon is a bug.

The first page, on which you select your flights, gives you an estimate of the cost but that page has been returning erroneous estimates in many situations.

When you click through to the next page, giving you a firm quote for your selected flights, the TFC figure should be correct.

In any event, it is easy to do a quick check of the TFC by using ITA. You only really need to have selected flights in the correct cabin, although it is probably best to select the highest booking class in the cabin because there are sometimes some YQ quirks in the lowest economy booking classes.

Here's an example for LHR-JFK-LHR in F, which shows that £668.22 is the correct TFC figure today:-

Thanks - I did actually check that on ITA. I just wanted to make sure it hadn’t been filed incorrectly or something as it was so much more than last time I booked it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.