Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using a GUF - Propeller Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The footnote is just an advice. What matters is when the airline chooses to withdraw the fare, which assumedly it did on the 18th. Holding a reservation does not guarantee the fare - the fare will be whatever valid fare exists at time of actual purchase
It does for private fares. Contractual fares explicitly differentiate between 'Book By' and 'Ticket By'. The most typical is 'IT' Tour Operator fares. Airlines can pull these fares and request early issuance, but normally provide 14-30 days notice.

Technically 'Fares are only guaranteed once issued' is a catchall guarantee that has existed forever, but i've never seen an airline enforce this if they've erred (please take this in the context that i'm talking about Tour Operators rather than Error Fares or the like).

I'm holding flights in my own name on a couple of longhaul airlines that are not ticketed (it's a perk, hold the cheapest flights for yourself to numerous locations for your holidays), the fares are guaranteed, and no longer exist. I've got deadlines - normally 30 days before departure when I have to make the decision to use them.

Tl:dr - there are a huge range of fares, public and private, many of which won't come into your realms that would surprise you with their terms and conditions. For myself I don't have the first clue about GUF's or why Propeller would want to get involved, seems messy, long winded, problematic and unprofitable - and you're dealing with customers who assume they better understanding of your job than you do. I've been dealing with airline contracts for 15 years (but just one part of them!) but am constantly learning new things!

Originally Posted by wanderingjock
I think the complaint by OP is about the lack of timely communication, irrespective of the fare booking conditions. Seems fair comment to me.
​​​​​​​Yes, I couldn't agree more.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
So to follow up - I called again after BA refiled the fare and received an extraordinarily contrite response from Daniel and team. Seemingly I'm the edge case that slipped between the cracks...
gypsyjaney and wanderingjock like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I seem to be the only one in the world who was dissatisfied with Propeller. Suffice to say, it was a really disappointing experience with amateurish mistakes. I ended up doing the booking myself. Perhaps I was just unlucky and got someone inexperienced, Such a shame, it’s now back to doing all my bookings myself.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Starwood, Hyatt
I recently used Propeller for a GUF2 booking and they were very efficient. Said it would take a day to get BA to approve and that’s what happened.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
I seem to be the only one in the world who was dissatisfied with Propeller. Suffice to say, it was a really disappointing experience with amateurish mistakes. I ended up doing the booking myself. Perhaps I was just unlucky and got someone inexperienced, Such a shame, it’s now back to doing all my bookings myself.
There are two of us! Like @alexwuk there was (eventually) alot of contrition but that didn't make up for the aggravation for me.

I haven't been back to them and doubt I ever will. Admittedly that is based on one experience but why would I give them any more business? I understand lots of people are having positive experiences but it isn't universal.
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
There are two of us! Like @alexwuk there was (eventually) alot of contrition but that didn't make up for the aggravation for me.

I haven't been back to them and doubt I ever will. Admittedly that is based on one experience but why would I give them any more business? I understand lots of people are having positive experiences but it isn't universal.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
You're not... I had issues with communication before. Eventually they were solved but not before having to message the owner directly... and to be honest I don't have the most overwhelming urge to go down that path again, especially as they charge a fee.

Incidentally, short of using the GUF via BA, which other agents will handle GUFs?
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Schwann
Incidentally, short of using the GUF via BA, which other agents will handle GUFs?
Trailfinders Business and First Class desk will, but charge £100 per ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Schwann

You're not... I had issues with communication before. Eventually they were solved but not before having to message the owner directly... and to be honest I don't have the most overwhelming urge to go down that path again, especially as they charge a fee.

So - now we are 3!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:30 am

Surely there must be someone else who does this sort of thing for less?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’m thinking about using Propeller for the first time to get a GUF1 processed as award availability seems scarce.

What sort of fee do Propeller charge? Is it a percentage, a flat rate etc?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I’m thinking about using Propeller for the first time to get a GUF1 processed as award availability seems scarce.

What sort of fee do Propeller charge? Is it a percentage, a flat rate etc?
flat fee. £35 when I did one a few months ago.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by KARFA

flat fee. £35 when I did one a few months ago.
yes, £35 unless the routing involves more than 4 sectors

https://propellertravel.com/guf2/

Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Depending on your card situation, I'd add that it may be worthwhile to explore Amex travel as well. They convert the EUR fares to GBP at some rate (you can Google/search Flyertalk for more information on this) that worked out better than what would otherwise process as a 3% foreign transaction fee. If you've gone for the Platinum card, you'd get the insurance and bookings on Amex travel also get you the 2X points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.