Seat change on ba38 same aircraft

Old Feb 11, 19, 9:12 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold,HH Gold, Flying Club Gold, SAS Gold
Angry Seat change on ba38 same aircraft

i got an email saying my seat had changed for operational reasons yet itís the same aircraft showing (787-9) I went from 7k to another seat. I am ec gold and when I called they couldnít see why I was change but the seat was marked as restricted to them too. Not sure what is going on here would love some insight as it doesnít sound kosher to me.

cheers

b
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:17 am

Perhaps the seat broke on the outbound flight and BA don't have the resources or time to fix it in Beijing.
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:19 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Fair comment but I should have said I’m not flying until March 14
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I'm sure 7K is a crew rest seat on the 789 and you've been moved for that reason. I've seen it blocked on some flights from the start but you've been able to pre-select it and now changes have happened.

Perhaps a staffer or someone can comment on that?
Old Feb 11, 19, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I'm sure 7K is a crew rest seat on the 789
Correct, on some of the longer routes including PEK-LHR. Sounds like 7K was inadvertently available for the OP to select when it shouldíve been blocked.
PETER01 and thebouncer like this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 10:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I'm sure 7K is a crew rest seat on the 789 and you've been moved for that reason. I've seen it blocked on some flights from the start but you've been able to pre-select it and now changes have happened.
Yes, this is correct and applies on longer 787-9 services. From what I can make out when the aircraft is put on to the service at T-355 then 7K isn't blocked, that seems to come a little later, but it can become unblocked if the crew decided not to use it. The trouble is when aircraft types get shuffled on a service and the 787 availability issue just makes it more likely to see this sort of problem. Upshot is what the OP experienced here - it has been mentioned in other Seat Shifting and 787 threads, so it's happened before and doubtless will happen again. Basically I never select 7K, instead I choose 7A, unless it's a very short sector (YUL or something).
PETER01 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:07 am

If it helps anyone, these are the current 787 routes where you might expect to see 7K blocked. Some will trigger a rest seat in one direction, but not the other:

DUR, GIG, GRU, ICN, JNB, LAX, MEX, NRT, PEK, SJC

KUL and SCL will have two (usually 7J/K)
Old Feb 11, 19, 2:48 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Thanks folks very useful data, I really wish they would just say this instead of the 'operational reasons' BS it is the lack of information that p***es me off...that and the fact that there are no window seats available in the CW cabin now

Cheers

B