Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using BA.com to book AA redemption - Fare Class and OWE privilege

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: British airways

Hi, I probably should know this, but couldn't find the relevant docs on BA (or AA) to prove it.

I am considering using BA.com to book Economy (one-way) tickets between Chicago (ORD) and SoCal (LAX, SAN,SNA) in the summer. I can see availability for my preferred dates, but trying to work out what class I would be booked into and as a BA Gold Card member, what the deal will be with bags and seats/Main Cabin Extra.

I ***think*** BA.com is saying it will book "Basic Economy" tickets which I **think** means : no seat allocation BUT my OWE status will allow a checked bag?

I will be travelling with my partner and son so will want to sit together on the day - and ideally use my OWE status to get Main Cabin Extra.

Can anyone confirm what class & cabin BA.com will book an avios redemption booking into on BA - and assuming this is Basic Economy - does this mean you cannot use Avios to book (standard) Main cabin?

Any advice much appreciated.

Rob
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Longtime lurker, first time poster, I recently booked AA redemption tickets on BA.com MIA-NAS in Business (outward) Economy (return) for my family as BA Silver, As soon as I booked, I was able to select seats in Main Cabin Extra for the economy segment at no extra cost. And after 3 different phone calls to AA just to be sure, I was assured that even though it said HBO on BA, we were still entitled to the OW baggage entitlement as well as priority boarding.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Avios redemptions will book into 'T' class on AA. Despite what ba.com claims, 'T' is not basic economy, and you'll receive standard OW perks.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sam_Marques
Longtime lurker, first time poster, I recently booked AA redemption tickets on BA.com MIA-NAS in Business (outward) Economy (return) for my family as BA Silver, As soon as I booked, I was able to select seats in Main Cabin Extra for the economy segment at no extra cost. And after 3 different phone calls to AA just to be sure, I was assured that even though it said HBO on BA, we were still entitled to the OW baggage entitlement as well as priority boarding.
Welcome to Flyertalk Sam_Marques and welcome to the BA forum. It's good to see you here, and as you will probably find out, this forum could save you some telephone calls!. It isn't directly into a HBO fare per se, but you have to see this through the prism of AA's general practice for Main Cabin, which is where domestic baggage is a paid for extra unless (e.g.) status applies Now NAS isn't exactly domestic (though they may think so!) nevertheless you have been correctly advised here.
Sam_Marques likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: British airways
Thanks all. Booked ORD->SNA as an Avios redemption on BA.com and yes - MMB allowed seat assignment and Main-Cabin-Extra at no cost, Phew ! When I come to check in at O'Hare, do the automated AA machines recognize my OWE and give me the free hold baggage allowance or do I need to see an agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.