Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Reward Availability - domestic leg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Strange Reward Availability - domestic leg

I am trying to book Avios flights in Club from GLA-LGW-TPA. There is availability on my chosen dates for all sectors however when i try to book as one trip, the availability on return LGW-GLA leg is not showing but checking as a single LGW-GLA it shows as available. Would there be any difference in availability as part of a combined Long Haul rather than a separate domestic flight? Am I better trying to speak to someone and book over the phone (do they still charge for phone bookings?)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are two possibilities I can think of
- Married Segments - though this should work to your advantage given the longhaul, married segments would offer up more flights over point to point searching.
- Minimum Connection Time issues, have you allowed enough time (or perhaps too much time!)?

But yes, I would call, and in this case the telephone service fee should be levied. If you really want to avoid that, book the longhaul and within 24 hours add the domestic sector but hopefully you can avoid that rigmarole. There will be extra taxes/fees/charges for the extra flights.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP - have you looked at or considered starting INV for a decent saving? It'll be around £300 for two in Club. May not be worth the bother if this isn't convenient; and the INV will go into LHR
AleTrail likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies... i wasn't able to phone up today (will try tomorrow) but been trying to figure out how BA apply taxes and fees as these seem to differ depending on how i book, and when I checked the INV departure point, Air Passenger Duty was one 26 GBP as opposed to 126 GBP departing Glasgow. Also the BA imposed fees seemed to differ depending on the number of people in the booking. When I done a booking for 2 Pax the BA fee was 277.50 GBP, however this jumped to 400 GBP when I booked for 3... very strange and not sure if its a glitch or not. Does anyone know how BA calculate their fees?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FliGuy
... but been trying to figure out how BA apply taxes and fees as these seem to differ depending on how i book, and when I checked the INV departure point, Air Passenger Duty was one 26 GBP as opposed to 126 GBP departing Glasgow.
APD is different for departures from INV. This is probably the reason that you saw what you saw, and the reason why those who really have to save every penny will sometimes find it worthwhile to pick INV as a departure point even though it costs extra time and money to get there.
Originally Posted by FliGuy
Also the BA imposed fees seemed to differ depending on the number of people in the booking. When I done a booking for 2 Pax the BA fee was 277.50 GBP, however this jumped to 400 GBP when I booked for 3... very strange and not sure if its a glitch or not. Does anyone know how BA calculate their fees?
£277.50 for two people = £138.75 per person = £416.25 for three people. Is that what you saw?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.