Current lounge arrangements at SYD

Old Feb 10, 19, 7:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
Original Poster

Current lounge arrangements at SYD

I read comments very recently about capacity constraints and overcrowding in the Qantas International Business and First Lounges at Sydney. The oneworld website indicates the introduction of third party arrangements at The House lounge (formerly Etihad lounge). Such arrangements are there for BA16 passengers.

What is your experience at SYD?
Old Feb 10, 19, 8:13 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
wow would be disappointed to be turned away from the SYD F lounge and put into that Etihad lounge.

business maybe not that big a deal as last time i went to check it out, was overall disappointing

did not know overcrowding was an issue at SYD
Old Feb 10, 19, 8:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
<snip>did not know overcrowding was an issue at SYD
Overcrowding seems to be rapidly becoming an issue almost everywhere and with everything related to travel. Too much money chasing to little supply...

Regards
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 8:23 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Silver, QF Bronze, AF Ivory, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum
Wow yes I see this:

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=SYD

Never had a problem at SYD F, it gets busy, but never difficult to get seats. Been a while since I used SYD C international lounge, and it was a bit tatty, and it is getting refurbished AFAIK so may have limited space whilst that is underway. I'd stick to QF F myself, but if I could only get into QF C usually, I'd give The House a go. See Ausbt review here https://www.ausbt.com.au/house-renov...s-room-to-grow
Old Feb 10, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, Asiana Diamond
I was in the QF 1st lounge a week ago travelling in F on BA16. Food, drink and service was as excellent as always. It was neither full nor was there any suggestion of being sent elsewhere.
Old Feb 10, 19, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
I read comments very recently about capacity constraints and overcrowding in the Qantas International Business and First Lounges at Sydney. The oneworld website indicates the introduction of third party arrangements at The House lounge (formerly Etihad lounge). Such arrangements are there for BA16 passeng
SYD does not generally have an overcrowding issue. Is it possible the commenter meant SIN?

The QF lounge in Singapore is where the main issue is right now. It has become extremely crowded because the flagship SYD-LHR route has now returned to a Singapore routing after several years of going via Dubai.

Thats an A380 added to the existing mix at peak times. Thereís been instances of people being turned away due to capacity.

That said, you can of course use the BA lounge in SIN.
Old Feb 10, 19, 7:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VA Platinum
As others have said the QF First lounge in SYD lounge sometimes gets busy but rarely to capacity (that I have seen and I'm there about once a month) but it does seem that The House has now been added, I imagine (and this is guesswork) that it will be for business class passengers rather than first / emeralds because nobody would give up the QF First lounge and by my understanding OneWorld rules would prevent QF from denying access unless they went down a CCR type route, I'm not flying BA for a couple of weeks but will update!
Old Feb 10, 19, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie View Post
As others have said the QF First lounge in SYD lounge sometimes gets busy but rarely to capacity (that I have seen and I'm there about once a month) but it does seem that The House has now been added, I imagine (and this is guesswork) that it will be for business class passengers rather than first / emeralds because nobody would give up the QF First lounge and by my understanding OneWorld rules would prevent QF from denying access unless they went down a CCR type route, I'm not flying BA for a couple of weeks but will update!
technically they can refuse entry for overcrowding. CX lounge at SFO comes to mind. i speculate that this would be for non-contracted / designated lounges though.

so I would have thought BA should have a contracted F lounge in SYD, and I would be most surprised if it said that F / Gold pax would be turned away?
Old Feb 10, 19, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
technically they can refuse entry for overcrowding. CX lounge at SFO comes to mind. i speculate that this would be for non-contracted / designated lounges though.
Yup, SYD is further complicated by there being only one OW lounge but I guess now if it gets "overcrowded" it would be an "off to The House" instruction for BA flyers... not sure how that would work when CX etc. would still have to be allowed in... i.e. at what point does it become overcrowded for BA but not for CX because BA has an alternative...
Old Feb 10, 19, 10:22 pm

The plural of anecdote being data, Iím on the BA16 today as a BA Gold / OWE and used the QF F lounge - no suggestion of an alternative.

It was busy - we had to wait for a table for lunch - but just about within capacity...
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:36 pm

In the House lounge now - flying Club World on BA16. Very nice lounge - large comfy seats and interesting food although I would personally like a few more 'nibbles' as opposed to a proper meal. Can't really compare to the First lounge as only been in the LHR T5 one (so far) but very happy sitting here. Here's some pics

LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:38 pm

And seriously better than the AmEx lounge which was very cramped.

Except for the pancake machine - that was fab!
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Oh, a table cloth (which even QF F lounge do not have, and yes, it's been getting very crowded)! And not having to use those awful Marc Newson cutlery is well worth the detour to go to the House lounge instead of QF F lounge.

P.S. I would still go to the F lounge for the hairy pavlova.
Old Feb 11, 19, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I notice from the oneworld website that The House lounge is near gate 51. For those who don't know SYD T1 well, this is the "other side" of the terminal, so it'll be a few minutes' more walk to get there from BA check-in and a few minutes' more walk to get back to the Qantas side of the terminal which is where (IME) BA16 usually departs from. Not a deal-breaker, obviously, but if one is thinking of small details then this may be worth bearing in mind.

If this is intended to be a relief lounge for the QF business class lounge, then I can see why it might be worthwhile given how busy that QF lounge can get at times.

In contrast, my experiences of the QF first class lounge are that you might have to wait for a proper dining table if you want one, but there are always plenty of other places to sit (including at the bar facing the kitchen) and you can eat off the whole menu wherever you are in the lounge.
Old Feb 11, 19, 10:56 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
For business passengers and non Emeralds, the catering is better in The House than at the QF J lounge.
justin_krusty and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: