Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current lounge arrangements at SYD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Qantas Platinum One and LTG
SYD International QF J is a dire space. On further consideration the word 'dire' was probably invented to describe this lounge and its MEL equivalent. I'm unsure if pax have been turned away recently but a seating extension has existed for some time under the escalators leading up the the F lounge, although I can't recall anyone ever sitting there.

SYD F certainly *can* get busy before the A380 departures but you'll get a table even if a small wait time is needed. Once, just once, I had to eat my first course at one of the sofas and low tables. Staff very apologetic before ushering a Jetstar pax out of the restaurant so I could make my way through main course, cheese course and maybe another cheese course. One of the 'sections' of seating (you'll know what I mean if you've been in SYD F) was converted to more restaurant tables a while back and that helped greatly. Food is banged out fast or you can be be like me and consume in a more leisurely fashion, just let the staff know and they'll oblige.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just to add a data point I'm flying on the BA16 today and at check in there was no mention of The House they just gave me the usual info about the QF First Lounge.

E2A: Flying WTP and BA Gold.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: BA gold
Never even heard of the House and no mention of it yesterday as a BA gold travelling in the last row of economy.

It does look like a downgrade from the QF Flounge but similiar to the QF J lounge? I know the QF J lounge can get pretty busy that I would not bother with it, but I've never seen the Flounge gets so busy waiting for the BA16 (never travelled at any other times) that my seating preferences aren't met (ie, always a seat facing the fantastic views).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
Originally Posted by GoldCanyon340
SYD International QF J is a dire space. On further consideration the word 'dire' was probably invented to describe this lounge and its MEL equivalent.
Ah the windowless basement hell-hole where premium & frequent travellers are cast down for eternity (well a few hours) to repent for their sins...
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Prospero
I read comments very recently about capacity constraints and overcrowding in the Qantas International Business and First Lounges at Sydney. The oneworld website indicates the introduction of third party arrangements at The House lounge (formerly Etihad lounge). Such arrangements are there for BA16 passengers.

What is your experience at SYD?
There was absolutely no issue whatsoever accessing the F lounge on BA16 (flying F).

It was rather crowded though, as it had been for a while.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:04 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stez
Never even heard of the House and no mention of it yesterday as a BA gold travelling in the last row of economy.
A former EY lounge. Outsourced to No 1 Lounges.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
so seems to be official.

cant believe they lump F and J pax together into the J House lounge though. will we see QF F lounge turning people away due to capacity controls now?

https://www.ausbt.com.au/british-air...tm_source=grid
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ermen
so seems to be official.

cant believe they lump F and J pax together into the J House lounge though. will we see QF F lounge turning people away due to capacity controls now?

https://www.ausbt.com.au/british-air...tm_source=grid
Nothing preventing First and OWEs from using the Qantas First Class Lounge, nor Club and OWS from using the Qantas Business Class Lounge. Perhaps it's best to see this as BA providing a furtner, improved, option to Club and OWS passengers.
libertyuk likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Nothing preventing First and OWEs from using the Qantas First Class Lounge, nor Club and OWS from using the Qantas Business Class Lounge. Perhaps it's best to see this as BA providing a furtner, improved, option to Club and OWS passengers.
the difference being that QF can capacity control the lounges now that there is (presumably) no more bilateral agreement with BA for lounge access
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ermen
the difference being that QF can capacity control the lounges now that there is (presumably) no more bilateral agreement with BA for lounge access
I'd expect there has always been a capacity control restriction, what we have now is an additional lounge for those who choose to use it. There has been no suggestion eligible BA passengers are being refused entry to the QF lounges, just that passengers are being invited to use The House. For Club and OWS passengers, some would say that is a significant improvement.
Stez and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'll ask what this is all about next time I'm flying BA from SYD later this month.
I forgot to ask last time because I was rushing due to relatively short connection.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:44 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'd expect there has always been a capacity control restriction, what we have now is an additional lounge for those who choose to use it. There has been no suggestion eligible BA passengers are being refused entry to the QF lounges, just that passengers are being invited to use The House. For Club and OWS passengers, some would say that is a significant improvement.
I doubt it. Although by the letter of the T&C anyone can be turned away by capacity control, I'm quite certain in the case where the airline has contracted the use of a lounge, those passengers are rarely turned away. It is those that have alternatives that would be turned away.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:45 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'll ask what this is all about next time I'm flying BA from SYD later this month.
I forgot to ask last time because I was rushing due to relatively short connection.
I'm not sure the Menzies staff at the check-in desk would know? But yes if you get information from a reliable source it would be good to know.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Looks like a far better lounge for J pax and OWS on BA. Would be very annoyed to be turned away from the Flounge.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by sxc
I'm not sure the Menzies staff at the check-in desk would know? But yes if you get information from a reliable source it would be good to know.
QF handle the BA flight and have been doing so for a few years now. Menzies hasn't handled BA at SYD for a long time.

The QF SYD J lounge is being refurbed this year so this is likely a move to alleviate capacity issues once the refurb works get underway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.