BA Redemption Finder

Old Feb 10, 19, 5:08 am
Original Poster

BA Redemption Finder

I signed up for this service which emails you every time Avios redemption changes on a specified route between certain dates, cabin etc. I'm amazed at how frequently Avios flights are added, can be several times a day including through the night.

This got me thinking from the BA side how do they decide to add availability. Is it done automatically by some sort of algorithm? Or does some team somewhere add them? I would have thought that if it's not automated flights would be added just once a day (with some sort of internal sign off process). If there is an algorithm do we have any understanding on how it works? For instance why add flights for October at 1am this morning?
Old Feb 10, 19, 5:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is an algorithm and it generally runs at midnight GMT, so that's a good time to check when availability shows up. The logic I'm sure is extremely secret, I can't think of any logic for that to be disclosed and it may be one of those processes where very few people know the whole system. One reason we do know about is that if Sales (not just UK sales) end or start, that has a influence, either adding or removing availability. That's on top of the usual 2J + 4Y redemptions added on every flight at 355 days from departure.

I presume you are referring to the baredemption email system, which is run independently from BA - that has a bit of a lag on it so while it's true that redemptions can show during the day away from midnight, as far as I can make out that is redemptions which are started, perhaps held, and then not completed for whatever reason. The main recalc is done at midnight.
Old Feb 14, 19, 2:55 am

Programs: BA
I'd be very interested in hearing how and where to sign up for changes to availability for Avios flights. I'm trying to get a LHR-JFK in First Class in September, there isn't a single date for any First Class JFK availabilty for September until December. It's clearly a con and makes me think the whole BA card system is a waste of time. I have a Gold card which really doesn't give me any additional benefits that my ticket already does.

Even the recent Sale was misleading, I bought a ticket on the first day it was launched and within two weeks the same ticket was available still in the Sale at more than twice the price. So much for a genuine sale!!
Old Feb 14, 19, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by CC999 View Post
I'd be very interested in hearing how and where to sign up for changes to availability for Avios flights. I'm trying to get a LHR-JFK in First Class in September, there isn't a single date for any First Class JFK availabilty for September until December. It's clearly a con and makes me think the whole BA card system is a waste of time. I have a Gold card which really doesn't give me any additional benefits that my ticket already does.
There are plenty of people flying on award tickets. You just need to read the threads on this board. They are not all fabricating these accounts. So it's clearly not a con.

ExpertFlyer and the site discussed in this thread (which has recently changed its name) are the two sites that immediately come to mind that would alert you to availability changes.
Even the recent Sale was misleading, I bought a ticket on the first day it was launched and within two weeks the same ticket was available still in the Sale at more than twice the price. So much for a genuine sale!!
I think you misunderstand how the sales work. If you could buy a ticket during the sale period for a price which was double the advertised sale price, it wasn't "the same ticket" as a sale ticket.
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 4:23 am

I generally find availability for LHR > JFK in F opens up fairly regularly, probably because of the frequency of daily services serving that route. I'd recommend signing up for a paid (3/month) sub to Expert Flyer. You can set up alerts to notify you of availability but be ready to book as soon as you see it.
Old Feb 14, 19, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold

It is not a con - and there are plenty of benefits of the Gold Card beyond the ticket you may have purchased
Old Feb 14, 19, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
I dont always find it all that reliable. I pay the 3 per month subscription which apparently checks every hour or so. I have an alert in place for SAN this weekend in Business. I know that 6 seats became available 3 days ago, yet I only received an email this morning.
Old Feb 14, 19, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG

I'm a lowly Bronze leisure traveller and likely to be Blue soon!. I've just looked up availability for HKG-LHR on my chosen date and there is nothing available just now and for several months. If you know how to play the game, it's easy. I do already have my reward flight booked in F at 355 days out.
Old Feb 17, 19, 1:58 pm

To Mikeyfly

i’d be interested to know what extra benefits a BA Gold card gives me that a Club or First Class ticket already offers??
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:05 pm

To Globaliser

The ticket offered at more than twice the previous Sale price was in the same Sale which had another week or more to run. In fact the second so called Sale price was also more than double the normal price regularly offered on the BA website outside the Sale.

So much for BA Sale bargains.

Old Feb 17, 19, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
To Mikeyfly

id be interested to know what extra benefits a BA Gold card gives me that a Club or First Class ticket already offers??
Hi,
For starters,

1 extra piece of baggage
If in Club them First class checkin ( First wing at LHR ) and First lounges
Free seating ( if in Club on a cheaper ticket)
If in club you can bring a guest in with you to the lounge ( a standard club ticket has no guest benefits
Extra avios
Extra Redemption avaialability ( Y)

If you are travelling in F always then the gold card is less important.

Regards

TBS
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
To Mikeyfly

id be interested to know what extra benefits a BA Gold card gives me that a Club or First Class ticket already offers??
have you read through the stickies on this board? They outline in details all the benefits of status.
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The ticket offered at more than twice the previous Sale price was in the same Sale which had another week or more to run. In fact the second so called Sale price was also more than double the normal price regularly offered on the BA website outside the Sale.

So much for BA Sale bargains.
There is never any guarantee that the sale price is available on any specific flight. Availability of the sale price still depends (amongst other things) on whether there is availability in the booking class in which the sale fare must be booked. So, for example, if a Club World sale fare requires booking in I class, but there is no I class available any more on that flight, then you will have to book into the next higher Club World booking class that has availability and pay the appropriate fare. This will not be the sale fare. You could well find that this is double the sale fare, but that is just the way that sale fares work.

If you have had to book (say) a D class fare and it was double the I class fare, you have assuredly not got "the same ticket" as if you had paid the I class fare.
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold

we had 241 redemption in First on this route last September, so it definitely is possible.