Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cold soup, no cheese biscuits and tatty plane on Orlando flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cold soup, no cheese biscuits and tatty plane on Orlando flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
Bolding mine.

Shareholders need to propose that senior mangers' bonuses be tied to Satisfaction survey. Otherwise this slow bleeding of CUSTOMERS will continue but by the time the snowball is too large to handle, this team will be retired somewhere nice with a lifetime perk of F travels.
The obvious flaw in this argument being that customer numbers are going up not down....
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think BA is missing something here.

They should do soup that is to be served chilled, especially when the flight involves somewhere warm or if they're going to have the cabin too warm.

No hassle of keeping it hot, or heating it.
The problem will be keeping it cold!

Are there any tepid soups in the world’s cuisine that could be offered?
firstlight and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:46 am

They should do soup that is to be served chilled, especially when the flight involves somewhere warm or if they're going to have the cabin too warm.

They do a gin & tonic soup that they keep chilled with ice.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by redeyedonkey
I'm most surprised they aren't hurting heading 'out east' tbh. It seems to be where the most luxurious competition is and given BA's typical pricing there seems to be not even the price incentive to lock in loyalty. Unless some corporates have truly crazy deals of course.
I don't myself know anything about corporate pricing. But I have occasionally seen hints dropped here to the effect of the price level of the cheapest ex-EU deals available to us private customers, routinely applicable to ex-LON itineraries and with fewer restrictions than would be imposed on us.

I doubt that big corporate buyers care one jot about loyalty - and neither should we private customers, so far as loyalty in the emotional sense is concerned. But if those are typical prices and conditions, are you really surprised that the big corporate buyers would bite, when the offer also includes non-stop flights rather than (in many cases) having to break the trip into two half journeys with several hours awake in the middle of the night between them?
HMPS and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But if those are typical prices and conditions, are you really surprised that the big corporate buyers would bite, when the offer also includes non-stop flights rather than (in many cases) having to break the trip into two half journeys with several hours awake in the middle of the night between them?
Not at all - that's really interesting, thanks. I'd probably book myself on a BA jet 100% of the time given the presence of such a deal
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by firstlight
My next flight is now with Norwegian...
Thats as long as they are still flying....

A lot of stuff that gets reported everywhere nowadays on social media etc still happened in the past but as there wasn't no social media so it didn't get reported.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
This is only a discussion board, I'm not too worried about a bit of banter. I used the word 'disaster' deliberately tongue in cheek, of course it's all relative in club world. But given our company travel manager rates a Premier card due to flight volume BA need to watch out how they treat their corporate customers. My next flight is now with Norwegian...
What you call banter at one time was strident upbraiding !

Originally Posted by Globaliser
What do you mean by "short term", though? How many more years of this strategy do we need to endure before disaster ensues? The current BA approach of cutting the costs that don't appear to be essential began long before Alex Cruz started his current job. We've seen the FT warnings of "short-term gain, long-term pain" over and over again since then - yet the airline's collapse has been singularly elusive so far.

One of the things that's notable in today's industry is that the people who make the really important purchasing decisions are not the people who have to experience the poorer quality and poorer service that the cuts have produced. The people who do have to experience those things may complain as much as they like, but they're going to have to continue flying the airline that others have chosen for them. I do sometimes wonder whether that's linked to the vehemence with which those complaints are made here.
Bolding mine. Well said !
Originally Posted by redeyedonkey
Agreed - that's why I was careful to balance my post out with the competition note at the end. The cuts will work as long as enough people can see 'some positives' vs plausible alternatives. But if they drive the costs so low that they're only competing on the basis of being 'the cheapest plausible option' relying on companies with that kind of travel policy forcing flyers on that will surely drive profits down at some point.

Anyway as you say they seem to have skirted the line well enough over the years to keep 'most' people satisfied (or forced) enough to fly them so it is working so far... Hopefully they'll continue that as a minimum because if they do they'll at least be 'not too bad' to fly on those cases when it's fiscally prudent for me to do so! And maybe new Club World will be amazing when all the planes have it in 2030 . 'Not too bad' isn't really what I'm looking for when the price is similar elsewhere but it's definitely good enough for me when it's an amazing deal... it used to be I'd book CW without thinking.

I'm most surprised they aren't hurting heading 'out east' tbh. It seems to be where the most luxurious competition is and given BA's typical pricing there seems to be not even the price incentive to lock in loyalty. Unless some corporates have truly crazy deals of course.
2030 ? That is almost 12 years away ! Does anyone THINK the competition will just rest on its laurel and do nothing ? That is the thinking that bankrupted US's largest corporation.

So what will we get if we are heading to cold climate?

Originally Posted by simons1
The obvious flaw in this argument being that customer numbers are going up not down....
Calm before the storm ? Can you also ascribe this to landing slots for the competitors at LHR and elsewhere ?? UK business travel is on an upswing ?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
They do a gin & tonic soup that they keep chilled with ice.
I prefer whiskey soup. They don’t even have to provide ice for that.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Postscript

And back on g-viip I can see the electric socket in 1G has been fixed, well done BA. Shame 1 of the two toilets in CW is out of action but credit for fixing the problem Now to find out if the soup is hot !
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
And back on g-viip I can see the electric socket in 1G has been fixed, well done BA. Shame 1 of the two toilets in CW is out of action but credit for fixing the problem Now to find out if the soup is hot !
What has happened to standards if we have to applaud a minor problem while 50% of toilets are inoperatve. I suppose the world is so inured to so many deficiencies that we can be "bought off" by a soup served hot, a norm ! Perhaps the pax have lowered the standards and the airline just keeps loading us up. wonder when will the last straw be added ?
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I'm surprised no-one has been along to highlight the new Gazpacho dish in CW and say how wonderful it all is....
Wait for it...

rb211.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Hot flasks .... it sounds like the 1930s.

Mocrowave anyone
Crashes the navigation system ! and interferes with the IFE !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.