Why are there so many blocked seats in WT?

Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Why are there so many blocked seats in WT?

Was looking at the seat map for my flight tomorrow (OLCI already opened a few hours ago) and there are so many blocked seats in WT. Any ideas of why this might be?

Cant upload a screenshot as I am on mobile but it is BA132 JED-LHR tomorrow (10/2/19)

Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
See: ‘Theoretical seating’
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just Theoretical Seating in operation, there will be more seats taken once you get onboard. It doesn't look like a full flight at all, though WTP looks fairly busy. Relatively few people check in online ex JED, a higher proportion than normal check in at the airport.

Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Ah! I hadn’t realised theoretical seating was in play here, I had always thought that was related only to blocking status and not much more. Thank you all as usual.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Or a big group ( of school kids )....
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:13 am

I had this on a flight to TLV last week. Very few seats that could be selected all the way from a week in advance to check in. Expecting a cabin full of good card holders I was surprised to find the cabin was about half full. A woman was assigned the middle seat next to me yet her husband was on his own on the row behind.
Makes no sense whatsoever. I'm silver and usually find that seating works in my favour.
On the way back very few seats were blocked out. The flight was about a third full and I grabbed an exit seat at check in which turned out to be an exit row.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ppp909
I was surprised to find the cabin was about half full. A woman was assigned the middle seat next to me yet her husband was on his own on the row behind.
Makes no sense whatsoever.
Hand baggage only tickets, perhaps on separate bookings? Though it's pretty mean to put individual travellers in middle seats when aisles and windows will go out empty, its unsurprising.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.