Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

1h30 into the flight and told no LPGS left!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1h30 into the flight and told no LPGS left!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
They should be able to sort your situation out as soon as you tweet this issue. A Champagne Mid-Air Reprovisioning Team will be able to meet your flight and transfer additional bottles of LPGs.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Emergency landing to restock. Clearly the plane can't continue in this state.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF WP
With qantas supposedly asking the manufacturers for sleeping quarters and exercise bikes to be equipped to new planes, perhaps BA can come up with some kind of air-to-air LPGS reprovisioning mechanism? Shame there’s no A330s in the fleet that could be modified to MRTT but can’t have everything I suppose
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by nancypants
With qantas supposedly asking the manufacturers for sleeping quarters and exercise bikes to be equipped to new planes, perhaps BA can come up with some kind of air-to-air LPGS reprovisioning mechanism? Shame there’s no A330s in the fleet that could be modified to MRTT but can’t have everything I suppose
They used to have mid air LPGS refuellers.

Were enhanced out !
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Oh. Such a tragedy. However will you cope?!

*facepalm* this is entitlement through and through. It still amazes me that such things are so problematic that one vents to others online about it.
megaloman likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ilcannone

*facepalm* this is entitlement through and through. It still amazes me that such things are so problematic that one vents to others online about it.
Entitlement? Absolutely. Despite my slightly jokey comments previously, the OP has paid for a service, bar of which includes a good quality champagne in F. It is easily conceived that a number of customers will want to partake in a few glasses. To run out is after only 90 minutes is not acceptable and the OP has every right to express his frustration and complain. If this was a one-off I might be less sympathetic but from the reports of others this is not a unusual occurrence. Assuming 4 bottles have been loaded and as an optimistic estimate there are six glasses per bottle, that's only 24 glasses for 14 customers in F. I could drink that much myself this afternoon in the CCR, should I be minded to do so.

Hopefully the OP will keep us updated with the outcome of any complaint.
chris63, SFO777, BA5E and 13 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.

Surely this is something that you've paid for though isn't it. It's not unjustified entitlement.
You wouldn't be happy buying a new car to be told "oh, we ran out of speakers" and just being provided with the car without speakers and expect no refund, compensation or a fix.
Of course mid-air they can't make more LPGS but it is something you are rightly expecting to be able to have in a reasonable quantity.

Pointing it out on a flying related forum where people like to track the overall performance and service provided by airlines is hardly a crime !!!!!!

Moaning about it on Mumsnet in a thread about the need for food banks might be pushing it a bit.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Of course mid-air they can't make more LPGS but it is something you are rightly expecting to be able to have in a reasonable quantity.
My impression is that BA does stock this in reasonable quantities, because on most flights the LPGS does not run out.

It's not going to help on a flight with lots of heavy drinkers, but then as we know from other threads, there are occasionally people who drink alcohol in seriously heroic quantities - see this thread for example: How Much Alcohol do you Drink in Business/First?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:05 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by madfish
Why does the OP think we all need to know this? Save it for your friends on Facebook or WhatsApp (assuming you have any!)
That does not come over as very kind, much less friendly. It is clear that the OP is having a little fun here, but he underlies an issue. BA appear not to stock enough of a Champagne that is served in First. It was complaints like this that got the quantities upped in CE. Did you know that? I had that from an extremely senior manager when I was on board a flight. I can assure you that genuine problems are being listened to, so airing them here is not space or time wasted. Not liking this, or not liking that is subjective, running out of stock in a Premium Cabin is not.

As for JALs 9 course banquet, it sounds Heaven to me who like long leisurely meals. I’ve now an incentive to fly JAL F.

Anyhow, I’m glad that he saw fit to tell us in a rather jocular way. Never mind tedious social chatter houses, I’ll be his friend and if he approves I’ll make him a Mucci. 😁😁

Now let’s all have another Champagne discussion as I’m sure that we haven’t enjoyed one for the past 7 days 😉😉
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I was going to desist from adding a comment as it might reflect badly on me and my fellow travellers. However, on a recent flight out to Asia, there was no LPGS left for the first drinks run after take-off. Seems that six bottles were consumed on the ground. We were offered a choice of the rose the English fizz, or the champers from Club. No-one seemed to mind.

Doc Copper

Last edited by DoctorCopper; Feb 9, 2019 at 1:34 am
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:16 am

I wonder if BA would come up with a scheme and page for champagne emergencies - calling anyone who brought duty free champagne onboard and willing to sell to BA at double the price purchased, please come forward and let the crew know.

In my view this is a win win... BA won’t need to stock excessive bottles, and passengers earn a markup on their duty free purchases if the offer is taken up.
ijgordon and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
When we get one of these rather light-hearted (light-headed?) threads (which, for everyone’s information, was originally posted in the Mileage Run forum, and moved here) it still amazes me that (any)one feels the need to go online and lay into the OP like this.

Now, back to the LPGS ....
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
They ran out on both legs for us recently too - apparently 3 bottles loaded for each sector? Doesn’t seem a huge amount between 14 people?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
I've complained about this in the past too (on FT)

I'm sure I was told (here or in air?) that 1 bottle was supposed to be catered per passenger? Perhaps that's 1 bottle per seat for a return journey?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Half the cabin won't have any. And they won't plan for the other half drinking it continuously throughout the flight.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.