Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nightmare Layover

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Subway Punch Card / 8 subs collected to date!
Nightmare Layover

So we leave ORD - LHR, arriving LHR around 11pm.
Collect a checked bag and then make our way over to LGW, probably arriving LGW midnight or after?
We have our onward flight to MLA, that leaves at 6am.

and it gets worse...

Its the same of the way back, but in NY.

On the return we go MLA-LGW-JFK, getting in around 9pm.
Make our way to LGA to spend the night.
7am back to DTW.

All this with a 2 year old.

Should we even consider a hotel in LGW?...We are thinking to just have baby sleep in her stroller, if we can get her to... considering we have maybe 3 hours tops, before we start making our way through security again.

I did see they have a Yotel at LGW, but $145 for 3 hours seems a bit excessive, but maybe I should bite.
Any other suggestions from seasoned travelers here would be so greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Motor City; Feb 9, 2019 at 11:21 am
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
You will arrive at LGW c. 0100 at best. I woukd be tempted to (a) grind through the experience, and (b) try to get better flights next time [only joking, I know it isn’t easy].

Sadly the Lounges will be closed, and Airside at LGW isn’t exactly charming. But staying Airside may be the best if a bad job.

Do enjoy Malta ... I hope you’re traveling ‘in season’! It’s a bold journey for you guys, but easy[ish] for us, apart from the awful flight schedules from LGW!! My MLA TRs are linked below this post.
Motor City and DeathSlam like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Motor City
So we leave ORD - LHR, arriving LHR around 11pm.
Collect a checked bag and then make our way over to LGW, probably arriving LGW midnight or after?
We have our onward flight to MLA, that leaves at 6am.
All this with a 2 year old.

Should we even consider at hotel?...We are thinking to just have baby sleep in her stroller, if we can get her to... considering we have maybe 3 hours tops, before we start making our way through security again.

I did see they have a Yotel at LGW, but $145 for 3 hours seems a bit excessive, but maybe I should bite.
Any other suggestions from seasoned travelers here would be so greatly appreciated.
As a "seasoned traveler" (maybe "salty" would be more accurate ), I wouldn't have booked it that way.
But since you have, if it was me, I'd plunk down that $145 in a heartbeat. Three hours in a quiet, non- public space will do wonders for all three of you, whether you sleep or not.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Motor City ... had you looked at the Bloc? https://www.blochotels.com/gatwick

Landside, within the LGW(S) terminal and literally just before the entrance to Security.

Not used (yet) and I’m aware the rooms are small, but we haven’t rejected them for a night-stop. Is it worth getting a quote? Perhaps they even do ‘day room rates’.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well the good news is that 1am UK time should be 7pm Chicago time for your body clocks, so not terribly rough.

I would get a room for a few hours. You also have the Hilton in the event that you have some Honors points to burn...
T8191 and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
A hotel option that can be very cost effective (from about Ł65) if booked well in advance is the Premier Inn North Terminal. It's located right next to transit shuttle train to the south terminal, which takes a few minutes and runs all night.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:01 pm

Do the quickest and easiest which is Yotel.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'd push through, horrible flight times, if you go to a hotel all you'll want to do is sleep but by the time you get there and check in check out, jeepers no way, it'll make you feel worse.
As T8191 says let the cub sleep as much as possible in the stroller and on the transfer, you guys can relax when you get to MLA.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Particularly for a child, a few hours of quiet makes all the difference. I would spend the money and pick the place that is closest, not nicest. A short rest, a nice shower and you will be ready for the last hop.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Once you can enter airside there is a quiet area on the way to gates 1-5 with comfortable seats, some with leg rests....
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Motor City ... had you looked at the Bloc? https://www.blochotels.com/gatwick

Landside, within the LGW(S) terminal and literally just before the entrance to Security.
I've used both- you'd want a Twin room at Yotel so you've got space and they only have two. Bloc maybe cheaper but you'll need one of their larger rooms.

Any other option the walking/check in will eat in to your layover time

Do not hesitate any further to book this - a couple of horizontal hours and a long hot shower will really make you feel better !

Just checking as well that you've booked a transfer - I use BA Transfer as a very cost effective option and I believe they have car seat if you need it. Others are available- e.g. Addison Lee and Blacklane are more expensive but reputable
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Minutes make a a difference... if you are say on AA80 to LHR (arr 2240) and BA 2644 to MLA (dep 0615) you could arrive at LGW as early as 0030 and check out of the hotel at 0500. That means 4 hours’ sleep.

You should be able to find the smallest room for around $100 at bloc or yotel. Toddler sleeps between the 2 of you on a king size bed (we’ve done it countless times).

If you think of a comparable situation, people will pay $1000 a head each way to fly say, BOS-LHR in Club rather than economy, for around 4 hours’ net sleep. They arrive in LHR much more refreshed.

Do the hotel, it’s a no brainer. And prepare yourself mentally for only 2 hours’ sleep because of delays etc, and when these delays don’t materialise you will be glad to have had 4 hours’ horizontal rest.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Fantastic advise as usual from the FT community...Thank You.
Im going to go ahead with the Bloc room, it’s a king bed and will suffice. About $40 less then Yotel.
If it was just me and the wife, we’d hit a bar in London and then make our way to LGW....times have changed ��

I have not booked the transfer from LHR to LGW, if anyone has advise on most efficient - would be most appreciated.

T8191, trooper and internetplumber like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Be aware the Bloc hotel King bed is just that a King bed, enclosed by wall on 3 sides, no room for anything else, and a shower in the toilet. When the hubby and I have an early am flight out of LGW, we arrive the night before and spend the night in a hotel, I thought we'd try Bloc since it is so convenient to the BA check-in. But I found with 2 persons, the setup was not comfortable. If you want to get out of the bed to use the toilet, you have to climb over the other person, not sure where a third, even a very small child would fit. For a single person, it might be ok.

Since that, I've always booked the Hilton, S Terminal, which just across the parking lot.
1P likes this.

Last edited by Egoldstein; Feb 8, 2019 at 11:20 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Egoldstein
Be aware the Bloc hotel King bed is just that a King bed, enclosed by wall on 3 sides, no room for anything else, and a shower in the toilet. When the hubby and I have an early am flight out of LGW, we arrive the night before and spend the night in a hotel, I thought we'd try Bloc since it is so convenient to the BA check-in. But I found with 2 persons, the setup was not comfortable. If you want to get out of the bed to use the toilet, you have to climb over the other person, not sure where a third, even a very small child would fit. For a single person, it might be ok.

Since that, I've always booked the Hilton, S Terminal, which just across the parking lot.
Thank you.
I haven't experienced a "capsule type" room before, so I don't know what to expect. Hilton/Bloc are approx. same $
I am a little concerned about us all fitting @ Bloc with 2 carry-ons, backpack, diaper bag, stroller, and checked bag...Although we are only there for 3-4 hours tops, so even if I had to go sit with the luggage landside and wife/baby went for a rest, would be ok.
How much further is Hilton to BA international departures? I was just thinking Bloc since its in the terminal, probably a fairly quick check in/out process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.