FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   infant turning 2 on return flight day (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1955239-infant-turning-2-return-flight-day.html)

liebermand Feb 8, 2019 8:40 am

infant turning 2 on return flight day

Hi all,
I know this has been discussed but all the threads seem very old (at least 3 years).

I phoned up british airways to say that my wife and child will be flying (with avios) from montreal to london, to tel aviv, and back to montreal this summer.

our daughter will turn 2 years old either on the day of the return flight, or 1-2 days before the return flight.

BA said that she will need to pay for a full ticket on the return since she HAS to have a seat due to the laws.

I get this, but at the same time I see very conflicting info here online saying that she will need a seat, but that will be sorted out by BA free of charge and she will just be charged infant fare for the entire trip.

Is this correct? Did the agent give me false info?

I also wonder, do they really check that specifically for infants in check-in? I imagine check-in is the only place where someoen would tell me 'she absolutely has to have a seat and you have to pay for it'.

Thanks for the help!
David

Steve_ZA Feb 8, 2019 8:46 am

From ba.com:

If you're travelling with an infant who reaches the age of 2 during their journey, your child will need their own seat for any flights on and after their 2nd birthday. We won’t charge you extra for this; you'll only pay the infant fare for the entire journey.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...avel-documents

You do need to call up to book these tickets.

MSPeconomist Feb 8, 2019 8:48 am

The GA has final authority for who can board, document checks, and the assignment of seats, including issues such as who is permitted to sit in exit row seats, so I would think that getting past the check in agent wouldn't necessarily be definitive.

IIRC BA is one of few airlines that comps a seat for an infant who turns two during the trip, although this policy might have changed.

In the OP's case, I'm not sure whether a lap infant must be (strictly) under two or whether flying on a lap is still allowed on the second birthday. Does the rule say under two or over two?

liebermand Feb 8, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30753982)
The GA has final authority for who can board, document checks, and the assignment of seats, including issues such as who is permitted to sit in exit row seats, so I would think that getting past the check in agent wouldn't necessarily be definitive.

IIRC BA is one of few airlines that comps a seat for an infant who turns two during the trip, although this policy might have changed.

thanks thats encouraging! I'm going to call today to book with avios so hopefully the agent can understand the situation and advise accordingly. Obviously we dont want to pay a full return ticket for a child that just turned two, which is why I'm asking. Because if we do have to pay we'll opt to fly a day before she turns two. Personal issue is that we want her to spend her 2nd bday with family :)

MSPeconomist Feb 8, 2019 8:55 am

Originally Posted by liebermand (Post 30754001)
thanks thats encouraging! I'm going to call today to book with avios so hopefully the agent can understand the situation and advise accordingly. Obviously we dont want to pay a full return ticket for a child that just turned two, which is why I'm asking. Because if we do have to pay we'll opt to fly a day before she turns two. Personal issue is that we want her to spend her 2nd bday with family :)

I'm not sure you understand what I posted. The gate agent = (normally airline but might be an airport contract worker at outstations) employee responsible for boarding the aircraft at the gate, and positioned just before one enters the jetway or steps outside to board an airport bus to the aircraft at some remote stand is ultimately responsible. You would have contact with this person after you've dealt with the check in agent. In other words, calling in advance or getting past the check in agent at the airport on the day of departure doesn't necessarily mean that you will get permission to board the flight.

liebermand Feb 8, 2019 8:59 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30754013)
I'm not sure you understand what I posted. The gate agent = (normally airline but might be an airport contract worker at outstations) employee responsible for boarding the aircraft at the gate, and positioned just before one enters the jetway or steps outside to board an airport bus to the aircraft at some remote stand is ultimately responsible. You would have contact with this person after you've dealt with the check in agent. In other words, calling in advance or getting past the check in agent at the airport on the day of departure doesn't necessarily mean that you will get permission to board the flight.

yes I do understand. I just meant that when i call to book the tickets- hopefully the agent can already arrange a seat for my child at no extra cost for that return flight. I was just hoping some people here who experienced the situation recently can comment to confirm this. All the similar situation posts are too old, I want to know if someone did this recently :)

deeruck Feb 8, 2019 8:59 am

I think that agent gave you misinformation. Leaving that aside, you should think about getting a seat for your nearly two-year old. More comfortable for everyone involved.

If you were flying domestically, you'd probably be able to get through by saying the child was under two, but they'll have a passport won't they? So, yes, they absolutely will know that the child is 2 and needs a seat.

liebermand Feb 8, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by deeruck (Post 30754028)
I think that agent gave you misinformation. Leaving that aside, you should think about getting a seat for your nearly two-year old. More comfortable for everyone involved.

If you were flying domestically, you'd probably be able to get through by saying the child was under two, but they'll have a passport won't they? So, yes, they absolutely will know that the child is 2 and needs a seat.

yeah I hear you, but with a $1000 difference in our trip we're happy for her to sit on us while we can get away with. she's an easy child :) happy to get a seat for the return, its law anyways, but just want to make sure we're not going to be slapped with some crazy seat price/ticket last minute.

flatlander Feb 8, 2019 9:06 am

One should not try to sneak on with a 2 year old, massive problems will result if it is discovered.

BA will generously provide a seat free of charge for the return journey of the just-over-2-year-old who travelled out under the age of 2. Simply contact them before travel (including when booking) to ask for this.

I suggest structuring the conversation as follows: begin with a booking for yourselves and infant so the agent has that part of the reservation set up, then before finalising it and paying you should discuss that the infant will be a child (and not an infant) on the return so the agent can set that up. You can do it how you wish, but that might make the conversation simpler. It is my understanding that inside BA's booking systems the reservation is set up with fares for adults and "infant" then later modified to have seating for adults and "child", so doing it this way will match the workflow of the agent using BA's booking system.

liebermand Feb 8, 2019 9:07 am

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 30754055)
One should not try to sneak on with a 2 year old, massive problems will result if it is discovered.

BA will generously provide a seat free of charge for the return journey of the just-over-2-year-old who travelled out under the age of 2. Simply contact them before travel (including when booking) to ask for this.

I suggest structuring the conversation as follows: begin with a booking for yourselves and infant so the agent has that part of the reservation set up, then before finalising it and paying you should discuss that the infant will be a child (and not an infant) on the return so the agent can set that up. You can do it how you wish, but that might make the conversation simpler. It is my understanding that inside BA's booking systems the reservation is set up with fares for adults and "infant" then later modified to have seating for adults and "child", so doing it this way will match the workflow of the agent using BA's booking system.

thats really great advice!!! thank you!!!

PETER01 Feb 8, 2019 9:19 am

I've no direct experience with this however please allow me on behalf of the Ambassador and Moderator Teams to welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA Board liebarmand.

There have been threads on this before and as far as I know the policy is still the same as per the website, you need to phone up. However, I see from one of the posts in the thread below to all allow an extra 35-40 minutes and see post 8 from a professional @Anonba

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ng-travel.html

Your only allowed 5 posts per day to start with so just something to bear in mind but welcome onboard and let us know how you get on. :)

Often1 Feb 8, 2019 9:26 am

BA is unique in this respect. Pretty much every other carrier would require a full fare ticket for the child once he turns 2. Others sell child tickets which are discounted adult tickets.

As to whether BA check, it does. This is a safety issue and the fines BA faces for boarding an 2 YOA as a lap child are quite significant. As a passport is required, the date of birth will flag the need.

USA_flyer Feb 8, 2019 9:34 am

For your wife's sanity, please see if you can get a seat for your toddler on the outbound too. She will appreciate not having a toddler moving about, eating, sleeping and (if still in nappies) pooping on her for the trip. She'll be able to eat and watch her own IFE as well as have more space and not intrude quite so often into the space of her row-mates.

There are some serious brownie points to be had here.

CloudGazer Feb 8, 2019 10:56 am

A data point in case it's useful...

A few years ago we made a return trip either side of my daughter's 2nd birthday. I made the (cash booking) online then phoned to arrange the seat which, from memory, was very straightforward to handle. The ticket may have gone to a back office team who made the change.

cbagent Feb 8, 2019 11:02 am

You have definitely been mis-informed. You will need to make the booking over the phone. You will be charged an infant fare and a seat will be allocated for the inbound flight if the child will have attained the age of two by then .