Wiki Posts
Search

Windy Weather in UK - 8th Feb

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by pythonisman
I think there's a curfew in BRU s
Nope, Europe would have trouble shifting a lot of cargo if it did!
pythonisman likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by flatlander
From the amateur seats here, it all seems to be going OK until very low down, below the level of the adjacent hangars. Perhaps the hangar-induced turbulence was too great and that caused the bounce and go-around?

It looks very well handled from here, inside it may just have seemed like a slight wobble then a vrooom upwards and some looks around the cabin until one of the pilots says something about everything being fine and going round to try that again.
Looked like a MAN day. I've experienced some of my roughest landings and approaches and go arounds there. Just one of the many reasons I avoid MAN if possible
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott lifetime platinum
I flew to Leeds this morning, the taxi to the departure runway took longer than the flight itself. I think because they were landing a few aircraft inbetween the departures.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: BA; LH; AF
I was on ZRH-LCY this morning. Long time in a hold over Dover, followed by a pretty crazy landing: some pax screaming as the plane was buffeted, and a huge round of applause once we had turned off the runway. At least one plane ahead of us aborted the landing and diverted to another airfield.
I’ve been in worse, but this was the worst I’ve had into London.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
That was a top save by the pilot flying, I imagine the nose gear wouldn’t have been a happy camper if they hadn’t reacted so quickly and got the nose up.

I did a bit of looking around and the only BA B787 that went around today seems to be G-ZBJK and it doesn’t appear to have flown again since. It did take some whack.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by SHT88T
That was a top save by the pilot flying, I imagine the nose gear wouldn’t have been a happy camper if they hadn’t reacted so quickly and got the nose up.

I did a bit of looking around and the only BA B787 that went around today seems to be G-ZBJK and it doesn’t appear to have flown again since. It did take some whack.
It’s due to operate the (delayed) BA95 to YUL.
SHT88T likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

It’s due to operate the (delayed) BA95 to YUL.
I'm sat in YUL waiting for that plane to arrive.

*gulp* guess I'll find out what shape the landing gear is in...
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Mr P

I wouldn’t worry, BA wouldn’t allow an aircraft to fly if there was any doubt of its airworthiness.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mr P

Looks like they took their time to inspect it after that somewhat rocky landing from the Hyderabad service.

It landed at 12:53, slightly later than its scheduled ETA of 12:35 but left for Montréal at 19:18, a delay of just over 2.5 hours. So I am sure they had a good look at it. Your service looks like departing 2 hours late but maybe you'll have a fast trip to London, given these winds. Happy flightings Mr P, welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA board.
Crampedin13A and LapLap like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks! Appreciate the update. Luckily I don't get too nervous about this sort of thing - I trust their safety checks and I'll have a bit of Dutch courage on board!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Like a normal day at ABZ lol
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Was a bit rocky leaving BRU and landing in BHX yesterday evening as well
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Just seen this from someone, today at LHR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdpRJ2eKfMo
This got my Dad reminiscing last night (long retired BA 777 captain) to roughly quote:

“Been there and did exactly the same.
Had a second go but stopped it at 600 feet.
Then diverted to Stansted.
LHR was closed for two hours after my second attempt.
At Stansted, the wind was too strong to open the doors. (Limit is 45knots).
But my unforgettable memory was the smell of sick in the cabin. Poor passengers.
We (pilots) had 2 days to think about the weather forecast. So we had loads of extra fuel. “
PETER01 and flatlander like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold
LHR takeoff/go-around yesterday

Anyone else ride on this flight with me? Pilot did a great job and was perfectly casual/humorous about it after it happened.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ds/2816068002/

Edit: I posted this in the wrong place so the mods moved it to this thread (thanks!). Yes, it was quite a hard whack. I was in CW, looking at the wing and engine when it happened, and there was some remarkable flexing on that wing. And, of course, quite a thrilling surge of power. The pilot got us back up to some altitude and wryly remarked something to the effect that, "As you can tell, the wind didn't let us land, so we'll try again."

Last edited by felixmendelssohn; Feb 10, 2019 at 3:08 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:06 am

Not 100% sure if the same flight, but this looks like it could be the video shot from the inside of the previously shared video (shot from the outside) of the 787 hard landing / go around. Looks like quite a thump!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.