Wiki Posts
Search

Windy Weather in UK - 8th Feb

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Windy Weather in UK - 8th Feb

It's a howling wind today - looks like LHR inbound aircraft are getting a very extended time in the holds at present, with some going on a bit of a magical mystery tour of the London area. Not sure if any diverted.

Hopefully not too many delays on the airfield itself and everyone gets away on time.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This was predicted a few days ago so I've been checking for Customer Guidelines, but so far nothing has been put out yet. There are 5 shorthaul cancellations (BSL/ABZ/GVA/FRA/MUC) plus the unrelated equipment shortage EWR cancellation done a few days ago. And plenty of delayed flights.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Gatwick seems OK, for now.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Just seen this from someone, today at LHR!

Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Yes this afternoons AMS rotation 446/447 showing a delay. I’ll be flying both on my first ever true B2B!
CharlotteC likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:49 am

Oh joy. I'm on flight 164 and the pilot's told us we have to wait on the tarmac. It's a very lightly loaded flight though and the crew are doing a good job of looking after us. Even those of us in the cheap seats.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Flying on 404 tonight to BRU, don’t mind delays but hoping we get out ok as it’s the start of a much longer trip tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
(Else I’ll hit up the Eurostar asap)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
BA 757 20:45 BSL to LHR cancelled 40 minutes ago due to adverse weather
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PETER01
Just seen this from someone, today at LHR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdpRJ2eKfMo
All becomes clear...

Mattress pad adultee diaper

I notice they left the gear down... I wonder if it got damaged (or at least a warning), as it was a hell of a whack!
Crampedin13A and grantsteve like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
All becomes clear...

Mattress pad adultee diaper

I notice they left the gear down... I wonder if it got damaged (or at least a warning), as it was a hell of a whack!
Certainly some whack and a real test of flying skills there. I'd imagine the Pilot flying would have been getting it stable before retracting the gear but of course I'm no Pilot and something they practise in the simulator as well as experiencing it in windy conditions wherever that may be on a certain given day.

Maybe a good question for ask the Staffer
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
From the amateur seats here, it all seems to be going OK until very low down, below the level of the adjacent hangars. Perhaps the hangar-induced turbulence was too great and that caused the bounce and go-around?

It looks very well handled from here, inside it may just have seemed like a slight wobble then a vrooom upwards and some looks around the cabin until one of the pilots says something about everything being fine and going round to try that again.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Certainly some whack and a real test of flying skills there. I'd imagine the Pilot flying would have been getting it stable before retracting the gear but of course I'm no Pilot and something they practise in the simulator as well as experiencing it in windy conditions wherever that may be on a certain given day.

Indeed during wind shear no change in configuration should be made as the opening gear doors would increase drag.
DYKWIA, PETER01, argonath and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by florens

Indeed during wind shear no change in configuration should be made as the opening gear doors would increase drag.
^
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps

Originally Posted by florens
Correct, no configuration changes in a windshear go-around and no turns either at LHR (no terrain concerns). LHR ATC will also assume that the aircraft will not adhere to the usual missed approach altitude of 3000ft and normally arrange a clearance with TC to 6000ft which will be available 99% of the time.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
404's picked up about a 45 min delay so far tonight. I think there's a curfew in BRU so hoping that's as bad as it gets (and guessing mostly follow on from delays today).
Fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.