Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long connect at LHR; 2nd flight is to TLV, what time to get back to T5?

Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle

I am traveling next month DFW-LHR-TLV with my daughter. We have an eight hour connection through Heathrow (scheduled to land at 1pm on a Fri and depart at 8:55pm) and hope to head into London for a couple of hours. Assuming we do exit the sterile zone and head into London for a little bit, what time should I plan on being back at LHR (I am American Executive Platinum/OneWorld Emerald if that helps getting back through initial security)? I assume that there is additional screening for TLV flights and want to plan accordingly.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
As one who flies on BA to TLV frequently, I can assure you that there is no extra screening for TLV flights. If your status means that you can use the First Wing at T5 (I think it does, but others on here are more expert on that kind of thing), and with your bags checked through (presumably) you could probably make it 90 minutes, and 2 hours would be absolutely fine.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As DominicB says, no additional security at all. As EXP with a single guest all 3 fast tracks are available for your reentry. North, South and First Wing (the latter gets you straight to the lounge and is recommended)

If you have cabin luggage not wanting to lug around London and/or want a shower/snack before heading off, you can first go to the first lounge, baggage store there (proper manned cloak room). Shower/eat and then head to immigration enroute to London (lookup the shuttle train to T5C and back system)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Thanks for all that. We will probably be landing in T3 based on seeing when our DFW flight has been landing, so we will probably just have day packs and check everything else through, bit good to know that we can probably leave central London 5:30 to 6ish to make it back. Should be enough time to see whatever is showing at the V&A or Tate Modern and stop at a Pierre Herme before heading back.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by seaskybound
If you have cabin luggage not wanting to lug around London and/or want a shower/snack before heading off, you can first go to the first lounge, baggage store there (proper manned cloak room). Shower/eat and then head to immigration enroute to London (lookup the shuttle train to T5C and back system)
Two things about this:-
  1. [*]
Originally Posted by stewlevine
We will probably be landing in T3 based on seeing when our DFW flight has been landing ...
Are you flying on an AA aircraft or a BA aircraft? An AA flight will arrive at T3, but I believe that a BA flight will arrive at T5.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Two things about this:-
  1. If you take the train to T5C and come back in order to self-land back into the arrivals stream, your boarding pass will no longer work and you will have to allow some extra time to get this sorted out before you can pass through security again.
Are you flying on an AA aircraft or a BA aircraft? An AA flight will arrive at T3, but I believe that a BA flight will arrive at T5.
It is a BA plane, but that flight has been coming into T3 the past few days, so I am assuming it is one of the few that does come into T3. If we come into T5, I assumed we'd use the left luggage outside of security, but not wanting to change terminals before heading into London if we co.me into T3.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is a BA plane, but that flight has been coming into T3 the past few days, so I am assuming it is one of the few that does come into T3. If we come into T5, I assumed we'd use the left luggage outside of security, but not wanting to change terminals before heading into London if we co.me into T3.
BA192 always comes into Terminal 5, they don't chop and change terminals. If you are on a BA flight number greater than 1000 (e.g. BA1589) you're actually on an AA service.

Your other option, luggage wise, is the same left luggage provider has an office at Paddington station so you can leave stuff there and collect on the way back to T5 without too much hassle, assuming you use either the Heathrow Express or TfL Rail services.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It is a BA plane, but that flight has been coming into T3 the past few days ...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA192 always comes into Terminal 5, they don't chop and change terminals.
I've just checked on EF - BA192 has arrived at T5 every day that it's operated over the last week.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I've just checked on EF - BA192 has arrived at T5 every day that it's operated over the last week.
I stand corrected - was looking at the wrong flight.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA
To put things into perspective to give an idea the fastest one can transit T5 to get to usually T5B I did it at a run in Feb 2018 during the snows at LHR and made it through security and arrived at T5B in 2o mins from stepping into T5 until I arrived at the gate....flight was delayed and we spent 4 hours on the plane waiting to be de iced before departing at 130 am instead of 830 ish. Travelling with family and hand luggage and not wanting surprises I say 1.5 to 2 hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.