Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Preordering F meal online - does allergen list include traces/contamination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm coeliac, so just looking to pre-order something decent from the standard meal in F on BA11/BA15.

Looking at one example 'Seared fillet of beef, butter, mushroom, tomato, potatoes' - but it lists gluten as an ingredient.

Is it possible to tell whether that's just BA being super cautious and listing traces/contaminants (E.g. the usual 'prepared in the same kitchen as'), or if it actually does contain gluten, whether it's possible to narrow down which component (maybe the potatoes have a coating etc).

The trouble I have is the gluten free meal is usually something disappointing, when I'd be perfectly able to eat a steak with no sauce (for instance).
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
if you contact You First they should be able to sort it out! this is literally why they exist, to make your First experience really a First Experience , let us know what they say!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think they do the super caution approach on cross contamination, as a food producer I see almost weekly bulletins from the FSA discouraging this practice. If it was otherwise then all the meals would have a long list of allergens. However for that specific meal I would guess there is gravy in it, "cep aioli" is a BA speciality, and that means mushroom flavoured gravy sauce made with stock and thickened with flour rather than cornflour, but fairly low on the gluten percentage overall. I think it comes in a small foil container so you can ask the crew not to give you that. And there is almost a consensus that steak isn't likely to be the best item on the menu.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
The allergen list for onboard meals is just that - I seem to recall it doesn't account for traces. If you're ok with traces, go by the onboard meal list. Sadly gluten pops up in a lot of those but it's easy for it to get in sauces and the likes.

If anyone is wondering about traces, I wouldn't trust onboard meals to be free of traces of anything. I've gotten sick from cross-contamination in many places, since it's only a couple of hours of discomfort for me, it's fine, but I've lowered my expectations accordingly.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

I emailed youfirst on 7th, and they replied with the menu, but no allergen details

I replied asking again, and still heard nothing back.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:41 pm

Hi,

Had to look it up, but now see you are LHR-SIN-Sydney. (and presumably return sometime!)
So a long time in the air!

Our most common flight is LHR-Denver (connecting from Scotland) and my wife now puts GF for the domestics - often gets a nice fruit salad. (Yes, I know, fruit salad, green salad, vegetables.... we have lots of GF choices!)

For the long-haul sector she just takes fruit and nuts, rice cakes and free-from brownies. She also is very assertive in the CCR-room and F-lounges about what is available to take-away. This is her Plan B if the offerings in F are an issue.

First thing she does on boarding is have a chat about what is, or can be made, gluten-free. There are chef's notes that can be consulted, I believe. (I try t keep my head in a bottle of fizz at this stage!). She's never had any luck with You First other than what you received. This way, with a sympathetic crew, she gets first choice at the meal options. Sometimes, since we are just lowly Blues earning out points by spending large sums on credit cards, if she left it until service commenced she would be at the back of the queue for menu choices and might thus miss out.

For our route, we just give up on food ex-Denver and sleep. And then brunch in the CCR waiting for our connection to Scotland.

For you, perhaps some FTers may be able to tell you what can be bought airside in SIN and in Sydney on the way back? For us, flying BA is not about the food.

ps. If you ever fly Iberia, don't order the GF out of Buenos Aires!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
If it states gluten I would not risk it.
My wife is a coeliac, we have pre orderd a meal with no gluten listed and she was fine. She was able to have a starter from the onboard menu. This after we requested the chefs chat and found a item that did not contain gluten. Breakfast we provided our selfs for her (gluten free sandwich and cake from Marks and Spencers at T5 arrivals).
Also in the CCR there was an allergy list and she could have a meal.
No side effects but she is ok with traces, or atleast no instant reaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.