Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways told 'do better' as maternity pay policy emerges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways told 'do better' as maternity pay policy emerges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Coap'n Benj
There has only been one out of how many posters who has been 'Neolithic' in their attitudes.

The male dinosaurs that supposedly inhabit FT, aren't all popping up here.

BA seems very behind the times as a large blue chip employer in this day and age.

Why has no one chimed in with QR's policy as yet! This is the BAEC board after all!
Well page one has at least two plus x likes so no.

QR is not the same company. But you knew that!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Petrus
I would say this is more a UK cultural issue than specific to BA. Why?

I remember mentioning Paternity leave to several different UK based firms that I've worked for (and currently work) and the answer was a scoff.
That's for women, basically.

In Sweden which is my home country and current base the state pays the parents 80% (of the median wage to be added) of their salary if staying at home with a child up to 8 years. You get around 350 "full days" and 100 with marginal pay, all off which can be divided between the parents. The father cannot gift all days to the mother, but there is a lot of flexibility. Many employers then top up the remaining 20% so the average Swede is doing ok while at home with their child.
Obviously, for those with a higher salary this is not such a great deal unless they've got a good package from their employer topping up further.

Often, those tied to a Union which has a collective bargaining agreement will get a top up from their union.

The result is that far more fathers are around for their kids!
I've had several 2-3 month summer breaks using paternity leave to spend time with the kids. It's great. Not all about the money.
By law it can be split between parents in the UK too, as per Navy's post earlier in the thread. If firms are scoffing at it, I'm pretty sure a tribunal would love to hear about it!

Sweden is miles ahead in chilcare subsidies etc as well isnt it? Often in the UK and US, its cheaper for the lower wage earner to give up work, rather than pay for childcare, esp once you have more than one in the system! Its been a huge deterent to us having a 3rd kind here in the US too, it would in effect mean my wife was working at a loss
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Well page one has at least two plus x likes so no.
What is the second post, I can not see one. Also the first (and only) dinosaur post has 1 like. Vs at least 22 on the post immediately calling them out on it and many, many more likes on the additional posts calling them out on it!

If you're trying to make out the board is full of dinosaurs, this is not the thread to do it on! I'd be looking for one with someone moaning about dress in First, or one of the ones with people moaning about there not being enough 'British food' being served on board (god help us if that came to pass!)

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Feb 8, 2019 at 6:46 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Petrus
I would say this is more a UK cultural issue than specific to BA. Why?

I remember mentioning Paternity leave to several different UK based firms that I've worked for (and currently work) and the answer was a scoff.
That's for women, basically.

In Sweden which is my home country and current base the state pays the parents 80% (of the median wage to be added) of their salary if staying at home with a child up to 8 years. You get around 350 "full days" and 100 with marginal pay, all off which can be divided between the parents. The father cannot gift all days to the mother, but there is a lot of flexibility. Many employers then top up the remaining 20% so the average Swede is doing ok while at home with their child.
Obviously, for those with a higher salary this is not such a great deal unless they've got a good package from their employer topping up further.

Often, those tied to a Union which has a collective bargaining agreement will get a top up from their union.

The result is that far more fathers are around for their kids!
I've had several 2-3 month summer breaks using paternity leave to spend time with the kids. It's great. Not all about the money.
Don’t forget that in Sweden the marginal tax rate is 58% to pay for this, pretty much forcing both parents to work even though one of them would prefer to be a stay-at-home parent. No system is perfect.

By and large I agree with you, it is a cultural thing.
Not sure why BA is being singled out here though. A lot of UK corporates limit parental pay to the statutory minimum, and they should all be called out to improve their practices.
Petrus and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.