Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways told 'do better' as maternity pay policy emerges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways told 'do better' as maternity pay policy emerges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Well said Flatlander! My daughter is 9 years old and mad keen on aircraft; no need to ask who she gets that from! I’d like to think that if her chosen career was in aviation, she will have not only an equal opportunity but an equal chance of pursuing that. Likewise, I would hope that potential employers have parental leave policies that encourage and not dissuade female applicants.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you give it to pilots then cabin crew and all other members of staff should get it as well I would have thought?
Waterhorse and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
My one takeaway from this thread is it's amazing how many people can't cope with someone having an opinion different to their own, and feel the need to belittle or denigrate that person for it
+1.
This used to be a dominant factor in the days gone by. Times are a changing, for the better, so keep hope.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
My one takeaway from this thread is it's amazing how many people can't cope with someone having an opinion different to their own, and feel the need to belittle or denigrate that person for it
I'm more surprised at the number of people who can't cope with women in the workplace. And still think of gender equality as an "opinion."
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Bit surprised at the somewhat Neolithic attitudes here but don’t know why I am surprised.

A few facts: society benefits from birth so, yes, even if you choose not to have children it is in your interest that others do. Look no further than Japan and China to see where we’re heading. Wealth decreases when fewer are born as result of increased costs (healthcare et al). Pretty basic macroeconomics.

Companies that have better gender balances are largely equal or better performers and diversity in all forms is proven to be economically enhancing. I’m worried people think men should be in a cockpit and women can go elsewhere. Such single-minded attitudes is the last id want to be in the hands of in an emergency.

I do think scandinavia has gone too far (said as a scandi) and that the correct parental leave is somewhere in the middle. In my ideal scenario parents get 6-8 months with ca 40% for the man as a minimum up to 60% and if below 40% parental leave is forfeited.
There has only been one out of how many posters who has been 'Neolithic' in their attitudes.

The male dinosaurs that supposedly inhabit FT, aren't all popping up here.

BA seems very behind the times as a large blue chip employer in this day and age.

Why has no one chimed in with QR's policy as yet! This is the BAEC board after all!
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you give it to pilots then cabin crew and all other members of staff should get it as well I would have thought?
Yes.

Sorry, were you trying to catch me out in an inconsistency? No? That's OK then.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I don’t see a reason why BA should do better. Obviously it’s more beneficial to have a male pilot who is going to work more time/years for the airline and if girls do want to be pilots a maternity pay benefit is not gonna sway them one way or another.
just all this modern day media reporting
wow
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Foltan
Well this thread is just a depressing reminder that Flyertalk mainly consists of male dinosaurs.

Fortunately I think attitudes are slowly changing with the younger generations.
Duplicate
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Foltan
Well this thread is just a depressing reminder that Flyertalk mainly consists of male dinosaurs.

Fortunately I think attitudes are slowly changing with the younger generations.
Do not want to insult people here but I find the BA forum very old fashioned.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Something that surprised and saddened me when I lived in the UK was the amount of well educated and successful women who left working life upon having children. Lack of childcare, very expensive child care, inflexible employers to name a few factors. Not only is a waste of talent and resources, but excluding a significant proportion of the population from having a relevant career seems rather backward.
lukew and Worcester like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Something that surprised and saddened me when I lived in the UK was the amount of well educated and successful women who left working life upon having children. Lack of childcare, very expensive child care, inflexible employers to name a few factors. Not only is a waste of talent and resources, but excluding a significant proportion of the population from having a relevant career seems rather backward.
You should trythe USA, positively prehistoric compared to the UK!

The UK is behind a lot of Europe but still ahead of most of the rest of the world
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:31 pm

I would say this is more a UK cultural issue than specific to BA. Why?

I remember mentioning Paternity leave to several different UK based firms that I've worked for (and currently work) and the answer was a scoff.
That's for women, basically.

In Sweden which is my home country and current base the state pays the parents 80% (of the median wage to be added) of their salary if staying at home with a child up to 8 years. You get around 350 "full days" and 100 with marginal pay, all off which can be divided between the parents. The father cannot gift all days to the mother, but there is a lot of flexibility. Many employers then top up the remaining 20% so the average Swede is doing ok while at home with their child.
Obviously, for those with a higher salary this is not such a great deal unless they've got a good package from their employer topping up further.

Often, those tied to a Union which has a collective bargaining agreement will get a top up from their union.

The result is that far more fathers are around for their kids!
I've had several 2-3 month summer breaks using paternity leave to spend time with the kids. It's great. Not all about the money.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

The UK is behind a lot of Europe but still ahead of most of the rest of the world
And in just over a month, they'll be even further behind :facepalm:
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
A bit of perspective is needed here: yes pilots go through training and it’s immensly costly.

It is all well and good people saying their employer gives them dozens of weeks at full pay, pilots cost a heck of a lot and to sustain anything near full pay is really quite a burden.

However, I agree that airlines can and just go further to improve the paternity package.

AFAIK, once female pilots know they are pregnant, they are taken off flying duties and placed on ground/office roles until they are ready to fly again. Not sure if the period beforehand affects their packages.
couple of points
CASA rules are licence suspended at the end of the 30th week of pregnancy; not sure of UK rules but I imagine it would be similar

pilots are bonded (I believe at BA for a period of 10 years although happy to admit that could be out of date knowledge), so if pilots choose to leave they effectively repay the airline a proportion of their training costs

as a female with an interest in flying, maternity leave or lack thereof doesn’t even merit 1% of the weight of the “cons” column. There are so many bigger issues to worry about
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

I worked for a US company just before the eldest was born as a contractor. I was gobsmacked that my US based permanent colleagues got 2 weeks max maternity leave. I could barely get dressed 2 weeks after the eldest was born, let alone contemplate being apart from her for more than an hour. We are very lucky in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.